GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 133 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,998
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,358
Posts1,059,180
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? #250102
01/11/05 12:15 AM
01/11/05 12:15 AM
Signore Sole Aumentante Offline OP
Capo
Signore Sole Aumentante  Offline OP
Capo
I know it's slowly gaining some popularity in the UK and Europe... but do any high schools have or have plans for American football teams? High school football is huge over here. I think high school teams being available for those interested is a good way to spread the game across seas and get the youth involved.

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? #250103
01/11/05 12:32 AM
01/11/05 12:32 AM
Chicago
Busta Offline
Underboss
Busta  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
Quote:
Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante:
I know it's slowly gaining some popularity in the UK and Europe... but do any high schools have or have plans for American football teams? High school football is huge over here. I think high school teams being available for those interested is a good way to spread the game across seas and get the youth involved.
Are you talking about American Football or Soccer? Yes, we do have high school teams for american football and have had them for a long time. They are also very big all over the country. Here in Chicago, there are 8 high school levels and every state championship game at every level are broadcasted live every year. They also pcik a game of the week during the regular season to broadcast. Sometimes, some games are even broadcasted nationally if two nationally ranked teams are playing each other.

As for soccer, yes we do have high school soccer, though it doesn't receive as much attention as football because they both fall during the autumn season. However, the Chicago Tribune still gives a good amount of coverage on soccer in the Chicagoland area high schools.

Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? #250104
01/11/05 03:13 AM
01/11/05 03:13 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
Busta, I think SSA was asking if they play American football in England, or anywhere else in Europe, at the secondary school level.

Prep sports in Chicago, and around Illinois, would be popular without the media coverage. It's even bigger because the Tribune and the Sun Times both have GREAT sportswriters on the high school beat. Taylor Bell at the Sun Times (before his recent retirement) and Barry Temkin and Bob Sakamoto at the Trib might be the best in the U.S. They ELEVATED prep sports to a level comparable to their papers' coverage of the top colleges and local pro teams.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? #250105
01/11/05 09:26 AM
01/11/05 09:26 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

As far as i know there isn't any school that plays American Football,Rubgy is the British version only you cant pass forward,as you probley know that is popular

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? #250106
01/13/05 09:33 AM
01/13/05 09:33 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

First of all we don't have high schools in the sense that the US has them. Our secondary school education is finished at 16.

Now as I understand, in America there is little difference between a college or University, if any at all. But here they are different, college is the next step in education if you choose to carry on academically, traditionally for 16-18 year olds. Then the option is there if you've got your results to go to University.

I've never heard of any of our schools or colleges with American Football teams. But I'd say a majority of our University's do have teams.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? #250107
01/13/05 10:07 PM
01/13/05 10:07 PM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
Turi, I was going to try and make the distinction between college and university in the U.K., but I was hoping someone from the U.K. would actually post-up...and you did! Nice tip-in.

Are athletics a part of college or university programs in your country? If so, which sports?

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Do any high schools in the UK have American football teams? #250108
01/14/05 07:56 AM
01/14/05 07:56 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

Most of the sports are just extra curricular activities, they don't count for anything except for your own enjoyment and I suppose it's a good thing to add to your CV (Curriculum Vitae, or Resume') to show you're a team player, active etc. Employers love this stuff. If you're at a decent Uni you can take up nearly anything, from 5 a side soccer teams, fencing, American football, to Kabadi if you really wanted.

So die all who betray Giuliano