GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, joepuzzles234), 276 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,863
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244279
09/14/04 10:55 PM
09/14/04 10:55 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:

TORONTO (Sept. 14) -- Wade Redden took off his practice gear unsure of when he'd have a chance to put it on again.

His injured shoulder wouldn't allow him to play for Canada in the World Cup of Hockey championship on Tuesday. The lack of a collective bargaining agreement between NHL players and owners figures to keep the Ottawa defenseman off the ice much longer.

The current deal expires at 12:01PT Thursday, and with no talks scheduled between the league and the players association, a lockout is a virtual certainty once the NHL board of governors conclude an afternoon meeting in New York.

Training camps won't open this week and games -- slated to begin Oct. 13 -- will soon be canceled, too.

"Tomorrow is D-Day and it's going to be probably the last time we get on the ice for a bit," Redden said Tuesday.

A bit would be an optimistic view. The sides haven't spoken since talks broke off last Thursday when the players association made a proposal of a luxury-tax system with revenue sharing, a rollback of salaries, and changes to entry-level contracts.

The owners said that framework doesn't ensure cost certainty for its clubs, and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said the sides "weren't speaking the same language."

"It's a sad situation but there's nothing you can do right now," free-agent forward Teemu Selanne said. "Everybody is expecting a long lockout which is not good for hockey, but it's going to happen no matter what."

That's what happened in the 1994-95 season when the game was shut down for 103 days and the schedule was cut nearly in half. If no deal is reached by January, like it was the last time, the season would likely be lost.

The message in the locker rooms of Canada and Finland was clear. Players won't accept a salary-cap system and they are prepared to wait as long as necessary to get a deal they can live with.

Even if that means sacrificing a season or two.

"I'd rather not miss a year in hockey when I'm 25," Dallas forward Brenden Morrow said. "I'd like to be playing, but I'm just one small piece of this whole puzzle.

"So until we can divide up that pie and everyone be happy with their piece, we're not going to get too much hockey played this year."

Both the Canadians and Finns said they were keeping their focus on the final game of the World Cup and would worry about the future once the final buzzer sounded Tuesday.

But they couldn't escape the countless questions about what was coming. And judging by the answers, the tenuous situation was very much on their minds.

"We're going to enjoy this moment as much as we can because you never know when you're going to play next," Selanne said.

While that was true for Selanne, who is mulling various options for what to do during the lockout and others for when the NHL starts up again, some of his teammates do have upcoming games.

Ville Nieminen, a forward with the Calgary Flames, will join his hometown team in the Finnish Elite League that begins this week. European players have more options in that regard than their North American counterparts, who could join some optimistic startup leagues.

"If I don't do anything I can't play hockey ever again. I like food too much," Nieminen said.

Morrow has opportunities to play in Europe but he has been reluctant to act on them since he has an infant baby at home and is not eager to go so far away.

"I want to take a few weeks after this tournament, go back to Dallas and wait for a miracle to happen," he said. "If it doesn't, then I'll check over my options.

"I don't think I'm going to go a year without hockey. I'm going to end up doing something eventually. I'm just not doing anything tomorrow."

On Monday, Nieminen took some of his younger Finnish teammates to the players association offices and introduced them to representatives.

His quiet, 20-year-old teammate Joni Pitkanen has just one NHL season under his belt and the Philadelphia Flyers defenseman is not looking to return to Finland.

Pitkanen just got here and wants to get more comfortable with the smaller North American ice rinks and with English -- a language still quite foreign.

"It was a big change for me and I don't want to take a back step and go home again," Pitkanen said.

So, he will instead play with the Philadelphia Phantoms, the Flyers' minor league team in the AHL.

Selanne said he will enjoy the rare time off for a while. But there's no question he and other players who had that last World Cup game left, still want to play hockey.

Teppo Numminen's career might be over if the lockout stretches too long. He's already 36 with 16 NHL seasons behind him. His time in North America might be done for good.

"Maybe as a player," he said. "If this drags out, I might be back for vacation."

It seems there'll be plenty of time for that.
Source: AP Sports

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244280
09/14/04 11:58 PM
09/14/04 11:58 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is gonna be really bad for the game. I hope the owners and players can work something out.

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244281
09/15/04 08:31 AM
09/15/04 08:31 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Just when I started watching hockey too. :rolleyes:

What am I gonna do this winter without my fix of The Washington Capitals? :p

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244282
09/15/04 08:53 AM
09/15/04 08:53 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
If they cancelled the entire season I don't think many people would notice, until the playoffs. Next April people may wonder why there aren't any hockey games on TV.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244283
09/15/04 12:46 PM
09/15/04 12:46 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

*surpise* :p

This has been a hot sports topic since before LAST season ended...I think everyone knew that the Players Association wasn't going to agree to any demands that would cap or in any way decrease their exorbitant salaries.

The local rumour (from some sources close to Tom Golisano, the Sabres owner) is that a small group of owners are actually planning to leave the NHLPA for good and take players who either aren't part of the union (i.e. from the OHL or Int'l Leagues) or those players who leave the union.

Hockey isn't strong enough of a franchise to last with a lockout that lasts more than 1 season. Baseball has only finally recovered from the '94 escapade.

I think everyone KNEW this would happen, but I think that in the end, unless the players realize the league cannot survive without their salaries being reduced, there won't be an NHL for a bit. That being said, hockey has needed this type of overhaul for quite some time. The rule system and their enforcement are quite farcical, and hopefully this can bring back the sport to where it was in the golden years of the late 70's/80's and the very early 90's.

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244284
09/15/04 08:40 PM
09/15/04 08:40 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Beth E:
Just when I started watching hockey too. :rolleyes:

What am I gonna do this winter without my fix of The Washington Capitals? :p
You still have the Wizards all winter. :p

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244285
09/15/04 08:52 PM
09/15/04 08:52 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
[quote]
You still have the Wizards all winter. :p [/quote]

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244286
09/15/04 09:32 PM
09/15/04 09:32 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244287
09/16/04 03:59 PM
09/16/04 03:59 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
They need to have shoot-outs if there is still a tie after overtime.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244288
09/16/04 09:58 PM
09/16/04 09:58 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

I think shootouts would be awesome. I haven't decided whether I like the OT-loss point...I mean, on one hand, you were good enough to go toe-to-toe with another team for an entire regulation limit, which means something...but on the other, you did lose.

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244289
09/27/04 01:23 AM
09/27/04 01:23 AM
Chicago
Busta Offline
Underboss
Busta  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
This message right here alone shows why the NHL is in a lockout. There is hardly anyone responding to this because nobody cares about the NHL anymore. The NHL has already been losing popularity over the few years and with this lockout now, it wouldnt be surprising at all if this leads to the death of the NHL as we know it.

Look at the NBA, it is still trying to recover from the lockout and that started six years ago. Baseball has finally recovered from the strike 10 years ago, but it too isnt what it used to be. The difference with these sports is that they were at the height of their popularity when their seasons were canceled or shortened. The NHL is already very unpopular and going into a lockout. The NHL is dead and will never come back.

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244290
11/04/04 04:13 PM
11/04/04 04:13 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

I find it odd that whenever I watch ESPN or any other sports news program I never hear anything about the hockey lockout. Maybe they do reference it and it's on when I'm not watching it. It just shows how little impact hockey has in the sports world. If there was a baseball or football strike it would be the number one news segment, even on local news. Why do you think this issue is getting very little coverage?

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244291
11/04/04 04:20 PM
11/04/04 04:20 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
To be honest? No offense, but a lot of people don't like hockey. It's extremely boring to watch on TV. The puck is usually hard to spot out. It's just a sport that is enjoyed by few, compared to that of the NBA and NFL. -Pat

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244292
11/04/04 04:27 PM
11/04/04 04:27 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge hockey fan myself. Mainly for the reason you mentioned. I can't follow the darn puck at all. I don't like golf, but they show that on ESPN. It's just funny it doesn't even get a 2 minute bit at least once a week to let the viewers know what's going on.

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244293
11/04/04 05:15 PM
11/04/04 05:15 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
To be honest? No offense, but a lot of people don't like hockey. It's extremely boring to watch on TV.
There are quite a few people who really like the game, too. :p

Boring? Maybe if you don't understand it. I'd rather watch hockey than tennis or golf.

Hockey is a fun game to watch, especially in person.

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244294
11/04/04 05:58 PM
11/04/04 05:58 PM
The House Of Blue Leaves
Nice Guy Eddie Offline
Underboss
Nice Guy Eddie  Offline
Underboss
The House Of Blue Leaves
This might turn out to be a good thing for the game. It could weed out some of the weak franchises and get Hockey back to the traditional citys. Why the hell are there Hockey teams in Florida, Texas and Arizona? :rolleyes:

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.

Get Hannitized

I support racial profiling.
Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244295
11/04/04 06:10 PM
11/04/04 06:10 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
To be honest? No offense, but a lot of people don't like hockey.
Thats the reason a lot of people don't like hockey.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244296
11/05/04 02:24 AM
11/05/04 02:24 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
Green Bay supports an NFL team, but Minneapolis (in hockey-happy Minnesota) can't keep an NHL franchise. Clearly hockey is a quantum step below baseball, basketball and football in some cities.

In the US, the NHL should keep its game east of the Mississippi and north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Furthermore, when they finally do resume playing, the top 16 teams make the playoff. All remaining teams would be dissolved and their players banned for life. Then we might actually see some level of competitive play.

It is an amazing game to watch live. TV can't do it justice and that's yet another reason why it has such low acceptance.

Also, when was the last time you got together for a pick-up game of hockey...

tony b.

"St. Louis leads Colorado 3-2, and you're listening to Rockie hockey on KOA."

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244297
11/05/04 02:30 AM
11/05/04 02:30 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
It's extremely boring to watch on TV
It has to be more fun than the National Mini Golf champsionship

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244298
11/05/04 08:58 AM
11/05/04 08:58 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
[quote]It's extremely boring to watch on TV
It has to be more fun than the National Mini Golf champsionship [/quote] Amen to that. I remember when I was in New Mexico, we were at a sports bar and we wanted to watch MLB. Mind you they had about 6 tv's there and some people at a table wanted to watch the Little Leaque championships. It was karaoke night so they had to free up one tv. You should have heard us when the bouncer took MLB off and kept Little Leaque baseball on. Who the fvck watches that? Unless your kids in it that has no place to be on tv in a bar. At least not with 2 drunken girls waiting to start a cat fight over it.

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244299
11/05/04 09:06 AM
11/05/04 09:06 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244300
11/09/04 02:02 PM
11/09/04 02:02 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
baseball AND hockey are boring to watch on TV. However, they only get "good" methinks during the playoffs. Other than that, bah!

Anyway, the Hockey Hall of Fame inducted some great great great NHL players:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1918912

Paul Coffey, Larry Murphy, Ray Bourque.....if you don't recognize those names, you are NOT a hockey fan....and it takes one to admit that its boring to watch on TV....

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244301
11/11/04 06:28 AM
11/11/04 06:28 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Right now I'm going through some serious withdrawals. As I love Hockey. Never got a chance to watch it as much as I wanted to in the past, due to my work schedule.

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244302
11/11/04 06:31 AM
11/11/04 06:31 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
Anyway, the Hockey Hall of Fame inducted some great great great NHL players:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1918912

Paul Coffey, Larry Murphy, Ray Bourque.....if you don't recognize those names, you are NOT a hockey fan....and it takes one to admit that its boring to watch on TV....
Yeah those are some big names in Hockey, and great players.

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244303
11/11/04 05:40 PM
11/11/04 05:40 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Iceman - the best thing you can do is play ESPN NHL 2K5 for playstation 2. It's the closest to hockey without watching it.

Re: NHL Lockout Set to Kick in, May Cancel Entire Season #244304
11/12/04 02:40 AM
11/12/04 02:40 AM
Q
QTN Offline
Made Member
QTN  Offline
Q
Made Member
Double J, word.

Speaking of which, remember for years the only good hockey video games were those produced by the one and only EA SPORTS on Sega?