GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (mustachepete, Lana), 302 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,996
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,161
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241740
06/23/04 06:29 AM
06/23/04 06:29 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Here's who they selected, in case you missed it:

Primoz Brezec (Indiana)
Predrag Drobnjak (L.A. Clippers)
Brandon Hunter (Boston)
Jason Kapono (Cleveland)
Zaza Pachulia (Orlando)
Aleksandar Pavlovic (Utah)
Jamal Sampson (L.A. Lakers)
Theron Smith (Memphis)
Gerald Wallace (Sacramento)
Jahidi White (Phoenix)
Lonny Baxter (Washington)
J.R. Bremer (Golden State)
Maurice Carter (New Orleans)
Desmond Ferguson (Portland)
Marcus Fizer (Chicago)
Richie Frahm (Seattle)
Tamar Slay (New Jersey)
Jeff Trepagnier (Denver)
Loren Woods (Miami)

Looks like they're gonna have quite a team. I know they said that they wanted to stay away from the big contracts, but how do they not pick one or two established veterans?

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241741
06/23/04 08:46 AM
06/23/04 08:46 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
No major names in this one. More importantly for Charlotte, no major salaries either.

Just a note - the Cavs made a trade with Charlotte & acquired Aleksandar Pavlovic, who was originally drafted by Utah last year.

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241742
06/23/04 09:13 AM
06/23/04 09:13 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Man Charlotte's gonna suck next year. Why do you think they got all no names & no good players (besides the players salaries that is). The only good player they're gonna have is the #2 pick in the draft. Which reminds me, why would the Clippers trade their #2 pick? They didn't get that much in return did they?

PS-Did anyone here about Rip Hamilton & Ben Wallace passing on the Olympics due to security issues? What a bunch of pussies!

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241743
06/23/04 09:43 AM
06/23/04 09:43 AM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

At most, they'll probably keep 7 or 8 of these guys. Once the free agency markets open up, they'll get their established players that way.

As for the Clips, I bet they fell in love with someone that was not Okafor or Howard and figured they can get him at #4. They got a second round pick as well. It'll be interesting who they pick at #4.

This security issue for the Olympics is such an easy out for these guys. I bet they're tired and just want to rest and enjoy their championship. The "Dream Team" has also lost a lot of luster over the recent years.

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241744
06/23/04 12:14 PM
06/23/04 12:14 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
Which reminds me, why would the Clippers trade their #2 pick? They didn't get that much in return did they?

PS-Did anyone here about Rip Hamilton & Ben Wallace passing on the Olympics due to security issues? What a bunch of pussies!
That's why they're the Clippers and ALWAYS in the lottery. They make stupid decisions. Other than the Cincinnati Bengals, there is no other organization in professional sports that is a bigger joke than the Clippers

As far as Hamilton, that's harsh. I don't blame them if they stayed out b/c of security issues in Greece. But more likely, they probably just want to rest. 82 games in the regular season, plus a 2.5 month postseason is a lot. Throw in the Olympics and there is not much time to rest for next season.

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241745
06/23/04 01:18 PM
06/23/04 01:18 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
As far as Hamilton, that's harsh. I don't blame them if they stayed out b/c of security issues in Greece. But more likely, they probably just want to rest. 82 games in the regular season, plus a 2.5 month postseason is a lot. Throw in the Olympics and there is not much time to rest for next season.
First of all the postseason is only a month & a half, but I agree, some people like the time off. However, I feel (and I guess this is where our difference of opinions comes into play), but I feel that it's a privledge to play for your country in the Olympics. Some people train their entire lives for it & here they are being given the golden ticket to win the gold & they ALL pass. We were supposed to go with the best team possible, now it's like a C string team compared to what it really should be. Back to Hamilton & Wallace wanting more time to rest I give you this, 1) how many times are they going to be invited to the Olympics (this is probably their only chance), 2) Michael Jordan won a title in 1992 & that didn't stop him from going to the Olympics that summer & winning a gold medal.

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241746
06/23/04 02:03 PM
06/23/04 02:03 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[quote]Originally posted by goombah:
[b] As far as Hamilton, that's harsh. I don't blame them if they stayed out b/c of security issues in Greece. But more likely, they probably just want to rest. 82 games in the regular season, plus a 2.5 month postseason is a lot. Throw in the Olympics and there is not much time to rest for next season.
First of all the postseason is only a month & a half, but I agree, some people like the time off. However, I feel (and I guess this is where our difference of opinions comes into play), but I feel that it's a privledge to play for your country in the Olympics. Some people train their entire lives for it & here they are being given the golden ticket to win the gold & they ALL pass. We were supposed to go with the best team possible, now it's like a C string team compared to what it really should be. Back to Hamilton & Wallace wanting more time to rest I give you this, 1) how many times are they going to be invited to the Olympics (this is probably their only chance), 2) Michael Jordan won a title in 1992 & that didn't stop him from going to the Olympics that summer & winning a gold medal. [/b][/quote]I just looked on NBA homepage - the playoffs went from April 17 to June 15. It just seems like they last forever with all those ridiculous days off.

Ok, we agree to disagree. I would agree with you if we were talking about any other sport and here's why. While I do agree that it would be an honor to play for your country as an athlete, most of today's NBA players think only of themselves and their contracts. It's hard enough to motivate some of the professional athletes who play for millions of dollars, let alone for free in the Olympics.

With all due respect to Pistons fans, Rip Hamilton & Ben Wallace shouldn't even be spoken in the same breath as MJ. Another key difference was that the 1992 "Dream Team" was a novelty - everyone wanted to be a part of it. Now, it's not such a big deal to many of today's athletes. And I do remember Jordan commenting in 1993 how he wished he hadn't played in the 92 Olympics because it wore him down physically the following season. Don't forget, Jordan played 3 straight years in the Finals from 91-93, the last year following the extended year of playing in the Olympics.

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241747
06/23/04 04:04 PM
06/23/04 04:04 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
Ok, we agree to disagree. I would agree with you if we were talking about any other sport and here's why. While I do agree that it would be an honor to play for your country as an athlete, most of today's NBA players think only of themselves and their contracts. It's hard enough to motivate some of the professional athletes who play for millions of dollars, let alone for free in the Olympics.
That's what I am saying. I know athletes are more concerned with themselves & their contracts. But even for people such as Hamilton & Wallace (who probably will never get another shot to play for the US team), it's sad that even they themselves turned it down. Furthermore, it's sad that the NBA is just NOW asking Carmelo Anthony!

Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:With all due respect to Pistons fans, Rip Hamilton & Ben Wallace shouldn't even be spoken in the same breath as MJ. Another key difference was that the 1992 "Dream Team" was a novelty - everyone wanted to be a part of it. Now, it's not such a big deal to many of today's athletes. And I do remember Jordan commenting in 1993 how he wished he hadn't played in the 92 Olympics because it wore him down physically the following season. Don't forget, Jordan played 3 straight years in the Finals from 91-93, the last year following the extended year of playing in the Olympics.
I also agree that Hamilton & Wallace shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as MJ but I had to bring it up. Yes it's hard to win a title, then play in the Olympics, and then turn around for another NBA season. But if they're so much of "champions" it should be no problem for them. Since they are such "superstars" (these are not your words by the way), they shouldn't even think twice about playing in the Olympics. I am also aware that playing in the Olympics wore Jordan down & that he was going to skip out on them if Bird & Magic didn't play, but it was still done. MJ won 2 titles in a row, won a gold medal during that summer, and then turned around and won a 3rd title. Only MJ can do that, yes, but come on, how many people here actually expect the Pistons to repeat??

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241748
06/23/04 04:42 PM
06/23/04 04:42 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
What is even more pathetic is that the games are less than 2 months away & they don't yet have a full roster. I am looking forward to seeing 'Melo & LeBron play together.

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241749
06/23/04 04:57 PM
06/23/04 04:57 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I can't wait to watch them play either. I believe that Michael Redd from the Bucks is going to get the final roster spot. 12 players have refused to go for various reasons:

1) Mike Bibby
2) Tracy McGrady
3) Jermaine O'Neal
4) Karl Malone
5) Kobe Bryant
6) Jason Kidd
7) Ray Allen
8) Shaquille O'Neal
9) Kevin Garnett
10) Vince Carter
11) Kenyon Martin

Here's what the team is as of June 22:
1) Carmelo Anthony
2) Carlos Boozer
3) Tim Duncan
4) Allen Iverson
5) LeBron James
6) Richard Jefferson
7) Stephon Marbury
8) Shawn Marion
9) Lamar Odom
10) Amare Stoudemire
11) Dwyane Wade

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241750
06/23/04 09:33 PM
06/23/04 09:33 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
You can now add Carmelo Anthony and Emeka Okafor to the Olympic roster. Two more Big East guys. (I'm a huge Big East basketball fan.)

Why don't the Bobcats have the first pick?

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241751
06/24/04 07:45 AM
06/24/04 07:45 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Freddie C.:
You can now add Carmelo Anthony and Emeka Okafor to the Olympic roster. Two more Big East guys. (I'm a huge Big East basketball fan.)

Why don't the Bobcats have the first pick?
The NBA automatically granted them the 4th round pick. They have since made a trade to move up to #2. I think the reasoning is to keep it fair for the team with the worst record to still be "rewarded" the #1 pick, if the ping-pong ball fell their way in the lottery. In the case of Orlando, it turned it out that way.

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241752
06/24/04 09:17 AM
06/24/04 09:17 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Yeah I heard last night that Okafor might be invited to the Olympics. Good for him, I'd LOVE to see him play there with Carmelo & LeBron. I also heard that the "done deal" between Houston & Orlando for T-Mac might not be so done after all. WOO HOO! I hope he goes to Indiana or anywhere other than to a Texas team!

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241753
06/24/04 08:20 PM
06/24/04 08:20 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
originally posted by Irishman12
Quote:
but come on, how many people here actually expect the Pistons to repeat??
I do! (or just hope)

the ORL-HOU trade involving T-Mac is absolutely NOT done. at least 7 other teams are still trying to get McGrady and Steve Francis doesn't want to leave Houston, so they are still just negotiating.

well I'm happy to see my fellow brazilian folk Rafael "Baby" Araujo to be drafted by the Raptors with the 8th pick. and I agree with you who think the Clippers made shit again. they've had a great lottery pick for a decade and did nothing with that.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241754
06/24/04 09:42 PM
06/24/04 09:42 PM
Virginia
Raulito Offline
Underboss
Raulito  Offline
Underboss
Virginia
Speaking of trades, The Wizards traded Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Latenner, and the rights to the 5th overall pick for Antawn Jamison and cash. The Mavs are supposed to offer The Lakers a huge package so that they can get Shaq.

"It is better to die standing than to live on your knees."
-Che Guevara
Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241755
06/25/04 02:40 PM
06/25/04 02:40 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
add Okafor to their roster, and they still have a sucky team. I know they will, but I don't see how they're gonna get even 5 wins...

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241756
06/26/04 11:13 PM
06/26/04 11:13 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
Here is the new Southeast division for next year:

Atlanta Hawks
Charlotte Bobcats
Miami Heat
Orlando Magic
Washington Wizards

Possibly the worst division in sports. That's how they'll get their wins.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft #241757
06/27/04 12:56 AM
06/27/04 12:56 AM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline
Underboss
Iowantonia
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:

Marcus Fizer (Chicago)
I've heard of one guy on their team, an ISU alum. Is he doing pretty good? I guess I should keep up with ahem, former classmates* of mine.

Probably not as good as Hornecek, the greatest basketball player ever. In the history. Of the world.

*pretty big stretch right there

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...