GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Ciment, joepuzzles234, British, m2w), 61 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,685
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help A Brother Out! #225309
05/16/06 01:41 AM
05/16/06 01:41 AM
The Wrong Side Of The Tracks
D
Don Rico Offline OP
Underboss
Don Rico  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Check it out...

So I am admittedly quite computer-illiterate. And I really have not played any kind of video games since the days of ZAXXON and GALAXIAN. But being a fanatical aficionado of THE GODFATHER SAGA, a loyal and devoted member of the GangsterBB Family... And upon reading Don JGeoff's fascinating adventure at the EA campus as well as all of the GangsterBB members reviews and critiques of this new thing of ours... I decided to jump right in.

I mean to say I went and purchased the PC-DVD version of the new THE GODFATHER The Game.

First night I spent just cleaning up my computer... Deleting unnecessary files, freeing up space on the hard drive, Disk Cleanup and DeFragment and all that and all that. My PC is an HP Pavilion, running Windows XP, and it was purchased a little over a year ago. So it is not brand-new, but neither is it a relic or an antique. It has always served me fine, so far.

Second night, I stuck in the game disc and registered and loaded. I have been reading all the members' posts about their adventures in the game, how much fun everyone is having, and so by this time I am just about drooling in anticipation of making my virtual "bones" and becoming a silicon "made man".

So the game loads, it takes some time... But then the screen goes black. Next I see the image of Don Vito and hear the familiar haunting notes of Nino Rota's score. YES! Now I am fully hyped and ready to play THE GODFATHER!

Forgetaboutit... I can't get nothin'... I can see it, I can hear it... But I can't do SHIT.

So I find the link to EA Games online where they check your system and do a diagnostic analysis to see if yer junk is up to snuff. Comes back telling me that I have "FAILED"-- my system does NOT meet the minimum requirements.

Now from what they indicate, everything is on point, but with ONE (maybe two) exceptions:

It says (and I quote):

"Sorry, your video card does not meet this minimum requirement. Upgrade to a more powerful video card will make all your applications look better. Click the 'WE RECOMMEND' button yada yada yada...

Of course, these "recommendations" are all expensive pieces of hardware... Which I know NOTHING about. They run the gamut from basic doohickeys($50+) to extra-fancy thingamajigs ($200+), and to tell you the truth, I don't know nothin' about nothin' from any of these. Where to begin?

The other thing it is telling me is:

FYI: Make sure you have the latest driver for your video card.

Driver? What the? I'm tryin' to play THE GODFATHER game fer chrissakes! The only driver I wanna need is Nice Work Lou!

So at this point my frustration is to where I'm about to start smashin' stuff! I mean, I plunk down damn near $50 bucks for this new game, all excited, now these people are telling me I gotta toss down another big wad of cash for some kinda new piece of equipment!

Not to mention just trying to figure out what's what with this stuff... The insanity of impenetrable, indecipherable computerese that I just do not understand. I am just trying to suss it out, and it's like designed just to make me feel stupid or something!

And all this for what? To play a freakin' VIDEO GAME fer chrissakes!

Play this one game is all I wanna do...That too much to ask?

Why does this seem so impossible?

So somebody ANYBODY tell me what should I do!

Little help?

Power wears out those who do not have it.
Re: Help A Brother Out! #225310
05/16/06 07:40 AM
05/16/06 07:40 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Two choices:

1.) Find out what kind of video card you have right now (most likely "integrated" with the motherboard, which are alright for most basic functions but many games need an independent one) by using the System Information feature in Windows XP (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information). Under the "Components" section, look for "Display" and the first item on that list should be your graphics card. This is the painless part.

Next, you'll need to find out what kind of graphic-specific inputs you have available on your motherboard (since you've bought it around a year ago, I suspect that it will most likely have at least a PCI and/or an AGP port, possibly even a PCI-E) . You might consult your PC's manual and see if they have a diagram of the motherboard (many manuals do). You could also contact the manufacturer of the PC who should be able to identify your model (especially a Dell, since it has the service/ID tags right on the case). Since you're feeling computer illiterate, this last option may be kind of out of the question, but you could carefully open up the PC and check the insides yourself, and determine what you've got. The problem is you might not know what you're looking for.

Ignore the other cache thing. Those long white inputs are called PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect), which is where you would insert a graphics card, modem, etc. into your computer so that it will interact and be functional. You most likely have a couple of these already occupied in your PC.

However, after awhile, it became necessary to speed up the interaction between the motherboard and the graphics card, which is why...

The Accelerated Graphics Port (or AGP) was created, so that it could communicate exclusively with a graphics card and process information faster than a generic PCI port. The AGP port is exclusively used for graphics cards, which makes this process able to work (PCI, as aforementioned, can be used for modems, sound cards, etc.). The AGP port is in maroon. Note that the "teeth" or input of the AGP is different than the PCI, which means that you have to be careful when buying a video card, since they are specific to the type of input (i.e. if you buy a PCI video card, it will not fit in an AGP port and vice versa). Don't worry though, this is usually designated right on the front of the box, and many models are available in either version.

Which brings us to our last port:

PCI-E (or Express) is an update on our previous PCI component. Again, look at the relatively unique input structures. Its even faster than AGP, and is not exclusive to graphics cards. This is usually not a feature you'd ordinarily find on a computer out of a box, and you probably don't have it. Its relatively new, and is pretty much reserved for hardcore programmers and gamers at this point.

Anyways, once you determine the type(s) of ports that you have, select the *best* one from the list I mentioned (probably an AGP in your case). Hit the local shops, and see what they recommend. Prices will vary, and don't necessarily reflect the quality or performance capabilities of the product ( this is a good example - one site lists it for about $250, the other $95 :p ). I'd look to see what EA recommends, and go from there.

Once you've purchased the card, you could either hire someone (like a Geek Squad from Best Buy or Circuit City) to install it for you, or you could do it yourself (which is fairly simple, I could walk you through it with the online chat).

2.) Buy an X-Box 360 or PS2 and just return your PC version of the game. The graphics card you might have to buy would probably be pricier than buying a PS2 right now, so it might be a *better* option to just get the PS2 (which is also a fine DVD player, CD player, and has a huge game library) and the PS2 version of the Godfather game rather than trying to upgrade your PC, which could become costly, for one game.

Or, you could shell out considerably more cash and get the X-Box 360 and that version of the Godfather, which has superior graphics, but costs more.

Re: Help A Brother Out! #225311
05/16/06 02:26 PM
05/16/06 02:26 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
I had to replace my video card, too, to play this game as mine wasn't supported.

I ended up with the inexpensive eVGA Geforce FX5500 256MB 128-bit DDR (AGP) (Only $39 after $15 rebate) -- it works okay... some slow-down problems with smoke effects, but otherwise just fine for the money. If you have PCIx, then look around for a comparible card...

I didn't want to spend a lot since I plan on replacing my motherboard/cpu and going with PCIx soon...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Help A Brother Out! #225312
05/16/06 05:08 PM
05/16/06 05:08 PM
D
Don Rico Offline OP
Underboss
Don Rico  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Thank you gentlemen. I am honored by your kindness in instructing me as to what I should do here.

Don JGeoff, I appreciate your input gratefully.
Like I said, I got a big kick out of the recollection of your adventures at the EA Games compound. That was a big factor in my decision to undertake this mission... To play this freakin' game.
As always, I swear my ever-ending loyalty and pay my MAXIMUM RESPECT.
***kisses pinkie ring***

Double J, what can I say... You are a true Man Of Honor. I am humbled by your knowledge. I gratefully appreciate your help and the details you have provided to help me in my mission... To play this freakin' game.

I posted a mirror-image of my original plea-for-help to the EA Games THE GODFATHER The Game Message Board and so far have only received two replies...
Neither of which offered ANY help whatsoever and both of which told me that I should shut up already, I talk too much...
(OK I probably do)

So I am especially honored by the respect shown to me here.

With youse guys' help, I am now armed with some basic knowledge to help me with the decision I must now make...
As to whadda hell I gotta do here...

Grazie a Don JGeoff e mi nuovo amico Double J!!!

MAXIMUM RESPECT

Re: Help A Brother Out! #225313
05/16/06 09:00 PM
05/16/06 09:00 PM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
The title of this topic reminded me... A guy at school asked me once if I wanted to donate to a charity called the HABO Fund. I was in a rush to get to class, but he SOOO didn't look like the charity type of person, so I had to ask what HABO was... and of course, he couldn't keep a straight face as he told me, "Help A Brotha Out." Apparently his laptop broke and he needed a new one, which he couldn't afford.

Re: Help A Brother Out! #225314
05/18/06 07:50 PM
05/18/06 07:50 PM
D
Don Rico Offline OP
Underboss
Don Rico  Offline OP
D
Underboss
STAY ON TOPIC!!!

(Just kidding, dona Letizia!)

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull