GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Captbony1999, 1 invisible), 228 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,030
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,362
Posts1,059,317
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225102
03/26/06 02:34 PM
03/26/06 02:34 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Since we've got about 5 threads, I wonder if Geoff would mind stickying this one, and possibly merging it with the others? We can post news and updates regarding Sony's new console here.

In awesome news, it has been confirmed that ALL PS3's will ship with the 60 GB hard drive, which Ken Kutaragi said would be vital and required to playing games.

Quote:
20-3-2006

Confirmed: HDD to ship with every PS3

Sony has confirmed to a number of gaming websites that the 60GB hard drive will ship with every PlayStation 3.

After Wednesday's conference, where Ken Kutaragi confirmed a worldwide PS3 launch in November, there was some ambiguity over whether the hard drive would be included as standard.

Kutaragi did say that the hard drive would be required, since Sony has told developers to assume the hard drive is present in every PS3.

But he also said that whether the hard drive would be included or not would depend on the market environment. Now, however, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has ensured gamers that the hard drive will definitely be included.

This is of course relieving news. Not only would it be frustrating to purchase a required hard drive separately, it could also alienate a lot of consumers.

As reported last week, the PlayStation 3 has been delayed until November because of Blu-ray copyright protection issues. Sony's next generation console will now launch in Japan/Asia, USA/Canada and Europe simultaneously.

By Bhavin Shah
Quote:

15-3-2006

Sony: Worldwide launch, 6 million units, hard drive and more...

Ken Kutaragi has officially confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will have a worldwide launch in November.

Sony will unleash one million units per month with a total of six million units by the end of the fiscal year (March 2007).

They have also announced that the PS3's online service will feature community tools including lobby matching and voice chat. Software can be purchased as well, and booted via the hard drive.

All PS3 games will be on the Blu-ray format, in an attempt to reduce piracy.

Kutaragi confirmed that a 60GB hard drive, which will support Linux, will ship with the system out of the box.

The PS3 will be 100% backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. Furthermore, it will upscale old games into high defintion.

The final PS3 dev kits will ship in June, with 15 different companies making tools and middleware for the SDK.

So finally we have been given a fantastic amount of information, hopefully silencing some concerns brought about by analysts. It is true that the PS3 has been delayed, but thankfully '2007' is not a part of Sony's plans.

By Bhavin Shah
Please feel free to keep this thread bumped by posting relevant news, questions, and updates!

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225103
03/26/06 03:03 PM
03/26/06 03:03 PM
Pietro Morello Offline
Wiseguy
Pietro Morello  Offline
Wiseguy
Nice topic mate, Cant wait till its released, Jus thinking what colour to get judging by the pictures.

Scarface and The Godfather=The best movies ever made.
Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225104
03/26/06 03:08 PM
03/26/06 03:08 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

From what I hear, it looks like they are only going to launch it in silver...I was hoping for the black one. But I'll take any color as long as it works, eh?

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225105
03/26/06 03:40 PM
03/26/06 03:40 PM
Pietro Morello Offline
Wiseguy
Pietro Morello  Offline
Wiseguy
Yeah, The silver should be good anyways

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225106
03/26/06 03:52 PM
03/26/06 03:52 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

I'm more concerned about the controller...especially since Sony is involved in a lawsuit which may prevent them from having vibration in their controllers anymore...what do you think of the "wing" design?

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225107
03/26/06 03:53 PM
03/26/06 03:53 PM
Pietro Morello Offline
Wiseguy
Pietro Morello  Offline
Wiseguy
My oppinion of that controller...Crap.

If you could use the ps2 controller that would be great. What you think bout the ps3 controller

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225108
03/27/06 12:18 AM
03/27/06 12:18 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
I'm more concerned about the controller...especially since Sony is involved in a lawsuit which may prevent them from having vibration in their controllers anymore...what do you think of the "wing" design?
The lawsuit won't prevent Sony from having the vibration in their controllers, per se. They're basically being sued because some company claims that Sony stole their technology. Basically, Sony will have to come up with their own vibration technology.

As for the new "bat-a-rang" controller, I don't like it so much. The Dual Shock 2 is hands down the greatest gaming controller, IMO. I think they shoulda stuck with that design, with maybe a few minor adjustments.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225109
03/28/06 11:45 AM
03/28/06 11:45 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Sony May Be Redesigning PlayStation 3 Controller

From GamePro.com

Top Sony executive Phil Harrison today suggested that Sony might be revising its PlayStation 3 controller design.

At an exclusive Q&A session at the Game Developers' Conference today, Phil Harrison was asked whether the recent lawsuit over Sony's DualShock controller -- which Sony lost -- would have any effect on the PS3 controller design.

Phil Harrison replied that it wouldn't, but explained in a follow-up question that "the [PlayStation 3] controller will be revealed at E3."

During the keynote earlier in the day, a slide briefly showed a timeline for various PS3 developer kit milestones; one of these dates was listed for April, and read "prototype PS3 controller."

The subject of the PS3 controller has been a touchy subject with Sony as of late. Aside from its first appearance at E3 2005 almost one year ago, that boomerang-shaped controller has not reappeared. Given wide outcry among gamers toward that design, speculation has ensued that Sony was preparing to redesign that controller to appease outraged fans. Sony has neither confirmed nor denied that speculation, but we'll keep you posted.

-------------------------------------

Well here's hoping!

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225110
03/28/06 12:05 PM
03/28/06 12:05 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
I dunno. I'm thinking that since I couldn't get my hands on the 360 I should just wait and preorder the PS3.

What do you guys think? I've always been an XBOX guy, but I'm hearing good things about the PS3.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225111
03/28/06 02:30 PM
03/28/06 02:30 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
I dunno. I'm thinking that since I couldn't get my hands on the 360 I should just wait and preorder the PS3.

What do you guys think? I've always been an XBOX guy, but I'm hearing good things about the PS3.
Use the logic of X-Box fanboys in this case, DA.

1.) PS3 comes out later. It will have superior graphics.
2.) Its storage medium will be 5x greater than that of the X-Box 360.
3.) It is more powerful.
4.) Unlike the X-Box 360, the PS3 will be fully backwards compatible with the entire library of PS2 and PS1 games. The 360 only plays games that Microsoft has configured to be backwards compatible.
5.) Sony is coming out with its own version of online gaming ala X-Box live.
6.) Better exclusives (i.e. SOCOM, Gran Turismo) versus HALO. :p

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225112
03/28/06 03:16 PM
03/28/06 03:16 PM
New York
raggingbull2003 Offline
Underboss
raggingbull2003  Offline
Underboss
New York
Is there any word on the new GTA for PS3?

"You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."
-Amarillo Slim
Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225113
03/28/06 04:21 PM
03/28/06 04:21 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

There was a rumor floating about that it might be a launch game, but I'm not too sure.

Rockstar "Supports" PS3; No GTA Title Announced

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225114
04/27/06 09:35 AM
04/27/06 09:35 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:

Juicy Playstation 3 Rumors
Posted by sjohnson - Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:51 PM

Until E3, you'll all have to content yourself with rumors when it comes to the PlayStation 3, but these are some gooood rumors. PSM, "The Unofficial Playstation Magazine," is reporting that the PS3 will be released in November, come with a standard 60-gig harddrive, and be all Blu-rayed out. Oh, and the price? Only $399.00, cheap.

The titles on launch are said to be:

* John Woo's Strangehold
* Tekken
* Sonic the Hedgehog
* Resistance: Fall of Man
* Rainbow Six: Vegas
* Lair
* Motorstorm
* Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

It almost sounds like wishful thinking... Hopefully, all will be revealed officially at the E3 and I'll let you know as soon as I hear. I promise.

PSM Magazine
Amazing if they could get that price...I sure do hope so.

Plus, I'm hoping that the list is somewhat incorrect (though I'll buy the Sonic game at launch) because I'm hoping the SCEA's Formula One game will also be a launch title. Either way, without the region restrictions anymore, even if its a PAL release, you could always import.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225115
05/08/06 11:55 PM
05/08/06 11:55 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
From IGN.com

Quote:
E3 2006: PS3 Date and Price Announced
System to come in two configurations, will cost up to $599.
by Jeff Haynes

May 8, 2006 - In a last minute bombshell, Kaz Hirai announced the specific date and details of the PS3 launch. The PS3 will be arranged in two separate system configurations: a 20 and a 60 gigabyte hard drive system. What's more, Japan will see the PS3 first on November 11th, at a price for 59,800 yen for the 20 gigabyte system setup. The 60 gigabyte system will be open ended and set by retailers. North America, Europe and Australasia will see the system six days later on November 17th. The price? $499 dollars or 499 Euros for the 20 gig version, and $599 dollars or 599 Euros for the 60 gig version. In Canadian dollars, that will come to approximately $549 dollars for the 20 gig and $659 dollars for the 60 gig version.

Hirai also announced that Sony will try to get a grand total of six million units shipped by March 31, 2007, which is Sony's fiscal date: 2 million PS3s will be available during the initial launch window, another 2 million will be shipped before the end of 2006, and finally another 2 before March 31st.

We'll have more details shortly.
Great...just fucking great! I was banking on Sony releasing a core system package like Microsoft did with the 360. Instead...they do one better by offering a 20GB HD bundle or a 60 GB HD bundle...with the problem being that the cheapest bundle is $500!!!

I was only willing to pay $399 for the PS3. Looks like I'll be waiting for the first price drop...

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225116
05/09/06 12:03 AM
05/09/06 12:03 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
From IGN.com

Quote:
E3 2006: Sony reveals the PS3 controller
Say goodbye to the Batarang! Say hello to six degrees of freedom!
by Andrew Alfonso

May 8, 2006 - Today at SCEA's E3 press conference, Ken Kutaragi came on stage near the end of the conference to deliver the final piece of the PS3 puzzle: the controller. Last E3, Sony showed off a completely different controller from the usual Dual Shock 2 rev, and was reminiscent of a Batarang.

However, it seems that Sony has listened to the criticisms of fans and its clients and have reverted back to the traditional Dual Shock design for the PS3, which will make gamers happier. In addition, the new controller will be wireless, with a USB connection in case you want to be wired. When connected, the controller can be charged automatically. The controller can be connected and disconnected at any time.

The biggest surprise was when Phil Harrison joined Ken Kutaragi on stage to show off the secret feature of the Dual Shock 3: six degrees of freedom. Using technology similar to what we've seen in past games, players can now move the controller freely in order to manipulate the action on the screen.

This was shown by Dylan Jobe, who is the producer/director of Warhawk, which will make an appearance on the system. In the short two minute demo, Jobe was shown flying his craft by handling the controller in a similar fashion to that of an aircraft stick. Before that, Harrison also showed two demos using this feature, with a helicoptor and the traditional rubber duck.

While the new Dual Shock will gain motion detection, it will be losing its shock. Sony confirmed that the rumble feature will be disabled, as the vibration apparently interferes with information detected by the motion sensor.

Sony has also made a few fine adjustments to the controller. The L2/R2 shoulder buttons have been enlarged, allowing for increased stroke depth. The analogue sticks allow for greater tilting angle, a change that will apparently give more delicate controls to games. Both the sticks and the L2/R2 shoulder buttons benefit from an increase in precision from 8 to 10 bits.

We'll have more information on the new controller as soon as we get our hands on it!
That's GREAT news! I wasn't too keen on the whole "bat-a-rang" design of the PS3 controller.

I was unable to find any pictures of the controller.

Bad news for Nintendo...I'm afraid. The whole "motion sensitive" controller thing seemed to be Nintendo's big selling point for the Wii. Now Sony has pretty much taken ALL the wind out of their sales. You can bet that Sony's decision to make the DualShock 3 motion sensitive is gonna but a MAJOR dent in Nintendo's sales. Could this be the final year for Nintendo as a hardware developer?

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225117
05/09/06 09:21 AM
05/09/06 09:21 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:

I was only willing to pay $399 for the PS3. Looks like I'll be waiting for the first price drop...
So will quite a few people...I don't know what they are smoking, but I have to say that even with some great games, they are going to lose market share to Microsoft with those prices...

I mean, if they were trying to appeal to the "casual" gamer (who makes up most of Sony's market), who do they think is going to be willing to shell out $599 AND buy games at $50-$60 a piece?

Better get a shovel ready. They seem to be digging themselves a hole. I wouldn't by this at launch, especially with this price - because they are inevitably going to have to drop the price.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225118
05/09/06 09:26 AM
05/09/06 09:26 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:

I was unable to find any pictures of the controller.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225119
05/09/06 09:43 AM
05/09/06 09:43 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Sony is fucking up.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705887p1.html

Quote:
E3 2006: PS3 20 Gig Missing Features?
Images of system with smaller hard drive missing HDMI input, other features.
by Jeff Haynes

May 8, 2006 - The announcement earlier tonight that the PS3 would come in two separate configurations easily caught the ear of PS3 fans eager for any news of Sony's system. However, upon closer analysis of the images for the systems itself, a rather curious system feature seemed to be missing from the 20 gig configuration.

Looking at the official press site of SCEA, we noticed that the PS3 with the 20 gigabyte hard drive seemed to lack HDMI support. This seems to be confirmed by an offical press release from SCEA, which indicates via comparison between the two systems. However, it also indicates that the 20 gigabyte system won't have Memory Stick, SD or Compact Flash reading capability or WiFi support. Even worse, it appears that rumble doesn't appear to be included with the new six axis sensing controller.

Could the 20 gig become a gamer shunned system? When Microsoft launched the Xbox 360, consumers hated the Core system that didn't come with a hard drive and other features, quickly dubbing it the "tard pack." Will the 20 gig suffer the same fate? We'll have more details as we get them from the show.

Update: It also appears that Sony has ditched dual-HDMI support altogether, even from its high-end 60GB system. Whether or not the system is still capable of running dual-displays by using both HDMI and the AV multi-out is unknown.

Also, Sony announced that the Blu-ray disc drive in the PS3 will run at 2X, or roughly 72Mbps.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225120
05/16/06 08:23 AM
05/16/06 08:23 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

From what I'm reading, all is not lost for those of us who can't purchase the $600 60 GB version. Read below:

Quote:
Posted 15 May 2006
Print this pageEmail this page
GamesRadar rumor debunked
by Justin Pinter

There has been a rumor spreading across the internet that the 20GB version of the PS3 console will not have wireless bluetooth technology for the controllers.

GamesRadar.com reported, "Sony has today cleared up the confusion over the differences in specification between the two models of PlayStation 3 - and the cheaper version won't support wireless controllers...instead, gamers will have to make do with retro-style wired-up versions of the increasingly controversial PS3 pad."

It also claimed that the hard drive is not replacable.

However, if you read the Sony Press Release, it states that both versions of the console will ship with a "Wireless Controller (Bluetooth)". Also, in a number of interviews, Phil Harrison has confirmed that hard drive can be changed at any time.

GamesRadar's report is totally false. Have a look at our PlayStation 3 specification for a breakdown of what's included in each package.
That's from PS3Land, but I've been digging around and it looks to be true. At least the hard drive will be upgradeble, but I'm still disappointed that its missing the memory slots.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225121
05/16/06 01:58 PM
05/16/06 01:58 PM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
If I sell my 360 with the games I should have enough to get PS3 at launch. Also GTA4 is launching about a month before the PS3 is.

You talkin' to me?
Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225122
05/18/06 02:20 PM
05/18/06 02:20 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Sony is the biggest copy cat in history. Now they have stolen, after all the other things they stole, the concept of the Wii controller.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225123
05/19/06 07:59 AM
05/19/06 07:59 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
Sony is the biggest copy cat in history. Now they have stolen, after all the other things they stole, the concept of the Wii controller.
Not really.

Even as a huge Nintendo (and admittedly, Sony) supporter, I disagree. Though clearly they are trying to make up for the loss of the Dualshock rumble technology with a *gimmicky* tilt sensor, the tilt isn't anything new, the early '90's saw the NeoGeo and even the Game Boy Color had this feature. To say they are "copying" Nintendo is a rather weak argument, especially since Sony is keeping the basic design of their megasuccessful DualShock (sans rumble) and adding new features.

The Wii controller will completely change the way people game. The PS3 controller is still bound by the traditional conventions of the gamepad. Saying that Sony "stole" the Wii concept is egregious since a.) the PS3 controller looks nothing like the Wiimote b.) the PS3 controller doesn't have the functionality of the Wiimote and c.) the PS3 controller uses technology that has been used by other companies since the early 90's, while the Wiimote uses pioneering game technology.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225124
05/19/06 04:12 PM
05/19/06 04:12 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Myeah, I'd expected this reponse.
Maybe I should have made myself more clear: what I don't like is that Sony suddenly moves to a controller that has these kind of functions (altough limited). To me it's too obvious that they have got the idea of using a move sensor from Nintendo.

But Sony can do what they want, I'm not gonna buy their console, so what they do doesn't really interest me.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225125
05/19/06 04:38 PM
05/19/06 04:38 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
Myeah, I'd expected this reponse.
Maybe I should have made myself more clear: what I don't like is that Sony suddenly moves to a controller that has these kind of functions (altough limited). To me it's too obvious that they have got the idea of using a move sensor from Nintendo.
Your exposition is irrelevant - as I've said before, tilt has been around even before Nintendo (who copied it from NeoGeo?) and a comparison between the Wiimote and the PS3 pad (or the 360's pad) is extraneous since they are so fundamentally different.

Certainly Sony had to come up with something to counter the fact that they lost the rights to DualShock, so is it really surprising they've unvailed this tilt? They probably weren't even planning on it until after they lost the lawsuit.

Again, as I said before, the allegations of Sony copying Nintendo (in this particular case) are pretty weak, since the tilt function has been done before (and not exclusively by Nintendo) and the Wiimote is designed for a full range of motion, while the PS3 controller only recieves 6 tilt inputs.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225126
05/19/06 07:17 PM
05/19/06 07:17 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
I'm just having this idea that it's too coincidental that they wanted to have this a few months after the Wii was presented. I know motion sensoring was there before the Wii, and the new PS3 isn't so well developed in it as the Wii is. But still, if the Wii didn't have this function, I think the PS3 wouldn't have it too.
So I'm not saying they copied the Wii, but it does feel like this. Why do they have to follow? Now it looks like they can't come up with something new themselves.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225127
05/20/06 07:41 AM
05/20/06 07:41 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
But still, if the Wii didn't have this function, I think the PS3 wouldn't have it too.
Oh, no doubt they gleaned the idea from the Big N in the sense that Nintendo is using the mo-sen, and PS3 had to do something to replace the lost DualShock (which, as I think most gamers would agree, I'd rather have the rumble under a different name than a lame tilt feature).

Quote:

So I'm not saying they copied the Wii
You're not?

Quote:
:p

Quote:
Why do they have to follow? Now it looks like they can't come up with something new themselves.
Not necessarily. The motion sensing still unilaterally is Nintendo's thing, at least for this generation. Sony, yes, has shot themselves in the foot with arrogance and stupidity (making fun of Microsoft for releasing two versions of the 360 when they will do the exact same thing with the PS3, actually worse since the lame PS3 won't be fully upgradeble) but that's not to say the Cell architecture and all the other innards of the PS3 aren't hella cool and unique.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225128
05/20/06 07:58 AM
05/20/06 07:58 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[b]
So I'm not saying they copied the Wii
You're not?

Quote:
:p
[/b][/quote]:D

Let me explain.

At first, I thought they stole it. Then I read what you said, so I changed my opinion. That opinion is that they didn't steal it, but that they were stupid and kinda rip-offed Nintendo's controller.

Which doesn't take away that they did copy many things in the past.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225129
05/20/06 08:40 AM
05/20/06 08:40 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:

Which doesn't take away that they did copy many things in the past.
How diplomatic.

The video game industry is like that though. I wouldn't necessarily label Sony as unique in this "crime," however.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225130
05/20/06 11:34 AM
05/20/06 11:34 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
How diplomatic.
As always...

No, Sony is not the only one doing it, but since they and Nintendo are the only ones left that had a major role in the market for the last 12 years, it's quite normal that Sony copied the most of all, or at least, who's copying gets the most attention.

IGN made a top-10 recently, from the 10 most original things in the videogame market. Most of them were from Nintendo, and most of them were used by Sony afterwards.

But anyways, I don't like and I don't hate the Playstation (1 till 3), nor the Xbox (1 till 360).

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread #225131
06/02/06 12:36 PM
06/02/06 12:36 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
From 1UP.com

Quote:
Sony: If We Make It, They Will Buy
SCEE CEO brimming with confidence regarding PS3.
by Luke Smith, 05/19/2006

When Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO David Reeves admits that "key launch titles" will slip into 2007 he also admits that to Sony, it doesn't really matter what ships at launch.

"We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games," Reeves told Computer and Video Games in an interview. During the same interview, Reeves admits that Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm and Formula One will all see release in early 2007 within the PS3 "launch window." Insomniac's gritty World War II shooter (with aliens) Resistance: Fall of Man will be there at launch according to Reeves.

It's not games like Heavenly Sword slipping into the "launch window" instead of the "launch day" category that is concerning -- it's Sony admitting that even if there were no games to purchase, consumers would still be lining up en masse to grab the PS3.

We get it, Sony, you were the market leader for two solid generations of console making, but you might be placing a little too much faith in the perceived strength of your brand to ask people to fork over $600 for your console regardless of the available software.
Quite a bold statement from Sony, I must say. The sad thing is, though...they're probably right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull