GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (3 invisible), 262 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,564
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,030
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,362
Posts1,059,343
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23412
04/04/05 09:47 PM
04/04/05 09:47 PM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline OP
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline OP
Underboss
New York
If you were an American hiding in Sicily, would you have a big wedding and invite the whole town? Perhaps put an announcement in the local paper: "American hiding in Sicily to Marry local girl Appolonia"? Hundreds of people would be asking about the stranger that Appolonia married. Word of mouth would travel to the next towns. Could Michael had broadcast his whereabouts in Corelone any louder? No. Meanwhile, Fredo was well protected on the West Coast. Fredo was smarter that Michael when it came to hiding! It was Michael's own doing that they got to Fabrizio and blew up Appolonia.

"A refusal is not the act of a friend"
Re: Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23413
04/04/05 09:54 PM
04/04/05 09:54 PM
TheSicilian123 Offline
Underboss
TheSicilian123  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by DonsAdvisor:
If you were an American hiding in Sicily, would you have a big wedding and invite the whole town? Perhaps put an announcement in the local paper: "American hiding in Sicily to Marry local girl Appolonia"? Hundreds of people would be asking about the stranger that Appolonia married. Word of mouth would travel to the next towns. Could Michael had broadcast his whereabouts in Corelone any louder? No. Meanwhile, Fredo was well protected on the West Coast. Fredo was smarter that Michael when it came to hiding! It was Michael's own doing that they got to Fabrizio and blew up Appolonia.
I dont even think they had newspapers. Well you can completly hide a person. Fredo wasnt wanted by the Cops around New York he was just in shock. But I can see where your comming at, but come on would you rather Appolonia lived? That was greatly plained.

M.T.K

If you had any fucking heart at all you'd be out stealin'! Joe Pecsi
Turn that thing off! You should be out stealing! Lefty
You put up and shut up, you hear nothing you say nothing! Just like you did for Bugsy! -Noodles
Re: Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23414
04/04/05 10:06 PM
04/04/05 10:06 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
There's a reference to that very fact in the novel.

Don Tommasino tells Michael that "your marriage brought you into sight", which was the reason he was to be moved to another villa.

I guess being hit by the thunderbolt made Michael throw all caution to the wind.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23415
04/04/05 10:22 PM
04/04/05 10:22 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
It is not abnormal for the entire populace of a small Italian town to attend the wedding of one of their citizens. To most in the village, it was just another wedding. Maybe it caused some curiosity that he was an American but I highly doubt that word reached out of the town, especially considering that the villages are placed so far apart and citizens do not leave the town very often at all.

Even if word did stretch farther then the walls of Corleone, it wouldn't go far and there would be few people of signifigance that would even care.

Besides, Michael was always protected by his bodyguards and the power of both Don Tommasino and Don Vito combined.

It was impossible for Michael to expect that his bodyguard would be in on it. My guess, is that Fabrizzio was in on it from the beginning that his job was to kill him.

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
-Former Mayor of Providence, RI, Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
Re: Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23416
04/04/05 10:33 PM
04/04/05 10:33 PM
CLOWN Offline
Associate
CLOWN  Offline
Associate
What I'd like to know is how Michael's enemies found him. Did they know from the start when Tommasino says : "Your enemies know you're here", so they planted Fabrizzio on him?

Re: Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23417
04/04/05 10:46 PM
04/04/05 10:46 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Originally posted by CLOWN:
What I'd like to know is how Michael's enemies found him. Did they know from the start when Tommasino says : "Your enemies know you're here", so they planted Fabrizzio on him?
Yeah, I always thought that Fabrizzio was planted there, but then I saw the deleted scene where he was begging the GI's to take him to America and asking Michael all these questions about America.

So, if he was going to kill him, why would he do such things. In fact, as another deleted scene shows, he does end up in America. So, possibly, someone offered him to do the job with the exchange of a business in Buffalo, NY and a green card for America.

But there is a mistake on Fabrizzio's part right there, He botches such a powerful man's assasination attempted and hides out in Buffalo? I mean, he had to of known that Michael resided in NYC.

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
-Former Mayor of Providence, RI, Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
Re: Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23418
04/05/05 09:20 AM
04/05/05 09:20 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Actually this does raise a good point because when Michael tells Appollonia's father that he is an American hiding in Sicily, he warns him not to tell this to anyone lest Appollonia lose a father instead of gaining a husband. Next thing you know he is traipsing all over town, being watched by gossipy old women and then having a huge public wedding. It just goes to show how irrational people become when they fall in love.
As for Fredo being smarter about hiding, I don't think so...he was out of sight because he spent his days and nights banging cocktail waitresses two at a time, so players couldn't get a drink at the tables.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23419
04/05/05 09:51 AM
04/05/05 09:51 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I believe that the plan was for Michael to hide in Sicily from the US police, not from rival Mafiosi. He tells Sr. Vitelli that "I'm an American, hiding from the police in my country." I don't believe that he thought he could keep his presence in Sicily, and his identity, secret from enemies forever. That's why he was holed up in Don Tomassino's villa, and didn't travel without two armed bodyguards.
Yes, he took a risk in his very public marriage. But I think he figured that not even a Mafia rival would kill him on his wedding day. And the betrayal came from within--from Fabrizzio, who knew Michael's true identity long before the wedding.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23420
04/05/05 10:03 AM
04/05/05 10:03 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by Turnbull:
the betrayal came from within--from Fabrizzio, who knew Michael's true identity long before the wedding.
According to the novel, Calo and Fabrizzio were at least somewhat in the dark about who Michael was

Fabrizzio would joke with Michael and ask questions about America, for of course it was impossible to keep them in the dark about his true nationality. Still, they did not know exactly who he was except that he was in hiding and there sould be no babbling about him

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23421
04/05/05 10:39 AM
04/05/05 10:39 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I'm sure that Fabrizzio was not a plant from the beginning. As said here, his desire to escape Sicily and live in America made him vulnerable to a deal from Barzini. Perhaps if Michael had promised to take Fabrizzio back to NY with him when he was able to return, Fabrizzio never would've turned traitor.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23422
04/05/05 10:46 AM
04/05/05 10:46 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
1. Michael didn't tell Vitelli "not to tell it to anybody else". He told that there are some certain people, who'd pay a lot for such information. Certainly the villagers were not among them.
2. There was a traditional wedding, nothing special. It couldn't in itself bring him into the light out of "that part of the island".
3. I'm positively sure that the attempt on Michael's life was planned long before he met Apolla. Fabrizio was not planted but cleverly used. I posted once a thorough analysis of the whole affair in this thread. Scroll down for a veeeeery long post. wink
4. I just wonder - Junior, why do you always type in bold? Is it a conscious decision? grin

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Michael is dumb when hiding in Sicily #23423
04/05/05 09:02 PM
04/05/05 09:02 PM
NY
Darulerric Offline
Made Member
Darulerric  Offline
Made Member
NY
Originally posted by DonsAdvisor:
I remember a scene, i dont recall if it was deleted or in the novel but Fabrizio asks micheal somethin about NY and Micheal says "how did you know i was from NY" and fabrizio just comes up wit some lame excuse.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull