GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (VanillaLimeCoke, 2 invisible), 316 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,673
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The only problem with a Part IV............... #208781
07/04/04 12:35 PM
07/04/04 12:35 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
I just think it would be so sad not to see anyone from the past Godfather's, so why even make one? -Pat

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208782
07/04/04 12:55 PM
07/04/04 12:55 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
I think almost any proposal for a GF IV would feature Pacino, Keaton and Shire as Michael, Kay and Connie, in at least some limited roles.

The attraction of a GF IV, if done well, would be in the back story - coming up with credible actors to play a younger Vito, and younger versions of Michael, Sonny, Fredo and Tom, as well as other characters like Tessio, Clemenza, Pentangeli and Roth in their younger days.

But any version of GF IV would almost have to touch upon the final 18-20 years of Michael's life and what happens to the Corleone family during that time frame.

"You did good."
Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208783
07/04/04 01:02 PM
07/04/04 01:02 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by EnzoBaker:

The attraction of a GF IV, if done well, would be in the back story - coming up with credible actors to play a younger Vito, and younger versions of Michael, Sonny, Fredo and Tom, as well as other characters like Tessio, Clemenza, Pentangeli and Roth in their younger days.
We have to remember that Michael, Sonny, Fredo, Connie, and Tom were no older then 30 in Part I. So you think they'd have to show them in their teenage years? -Pat

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208784
07/04/04 01:42 PM
07/04/04 01:42 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
The chapters of the GF novel which Puzo used for the basis of his GF IV script, which would presumably be most of the "flashback" storyline, cover the time period in the mid-to-late 1930s when the Corleone family rises from being just neighborhood gangsters, to a power on the national organized crime scene.

Vito would be about 40. Hyman Roth, Tessio, Clemenza and Pentangeli, about the same age maybe up to about 50. (In fact, since we know Roth is 67 in 1958, we can say he'd be 45 in 1936.)

Sonny and Tom and Fredo, early twenties. Michael, late teens to maybe 20. Connie, mid-teens.

"You did good."
Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208785
07/05/04 05:05 PM
07/05/04 05:05 PM
Sicily, NYC
Santino Felice Offline
Made Member
Santino Felice  Offline
Made Member
Sicily, NYC
i totally back up the making of GF4, and hats off to EnzoBaker for his selection of character look alikes for a part IV.

"Well you just do what I tell you to do! Goddamn it! If I had a wartime consiglieri -- a
Sicilian -- I wouldn't be in this shape! Pop had Genco -- look what I got." - Sonny Corleone
Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208786
07/06/04 09:41 AM
07/06/04 09:41 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
That's some of the problems UunderBoss and I are running into with our "scriptment."

However, Parts II and III did a good job of introducing good secondary characters into the mix, and a part IV would have to do that instead of recycling the original cast, just to get familiar faces in there. Part III used that up with Enzo, Lucy, Calo, and some others, and they weren't even really full characters.

Part IV would still have the corps players of Michael, Vincent, Connie, and Anthony.

The flashbacks could bring back the original characters, and with inspired casting, would be the main draw of the film.

I personally think a Part IV should be a prequel to Part I and show the family's rise to where they are in part I.

Although we are writing a script for a Part IV which advances past Part III, I think that the golden years before part I are where the meat of a good story exists.

Anything past Part III is going to feel like Goodfellas or Sopranos if done the wrong way. We have to remember, the Godfather is the original - and has to feel like it still is the Godfather and not some cheap knockoff with the name attached.

Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208787
07/10/04 10:25 PM
07/10/04 10:25 PM
Don_Tony97 Offline
Associate
Don_Tony97  Offline
Associate
I think TGF VI should be a flash back story. Unfortunetly i think Pacinos and most of the other members role would be limited to what happens after marys death.(due to age)
Since the movie was made awhile back most of the people that played the characters wouldnt be able to be in it. But if it was a flash back story they would be able to use differnt people for the Flashback characters.

Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208788
07/11/04 12:56 AM
07/11/04 12:56 AM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Tony97:
I think TGF VI should be a flash back story. Unfortunetly i think Pacinos and most of the other members role would be limited to what happens after marys death.(due to age)
Since the movie was made awhile back most of the people that played the characters wouldnt be able to be in it. But if it was a flash back story they would be able to use different people for the Flashback characters.
Well, the only "continuing characters" from GF III who would, presumably, appear in GF IV would be:

Michael Corleone - Al Pacino
Connie Corleone - Talia Shire
Kay Adams-Corleone-Whatshisname - Diane Keaton
Vincent Corleone - Andy Garcia
Anthony Corleone - Franc D'Ambrosio
Al Neri - Richard Bright

Minor characters:
Enzo The Baker - Gabrielle Torrei
Johnny Fontane - Al Martino
Grace Madison - Bridget Fonda
Dominic Abbandando - Don Novello
Andrew Hagen - John Savage

Out of the "major" characters, Pacino, Shire and Keaton are all still hale and healthy. I haven't seen Bright in anything in a couple years but Al Neri's role would certainly be that of a very "senior consigliere" at this point.

Torrei and Martino, I'm not sure about, but it wouldnt be a GF film without Enzo and Johnny, would it? I could see Johnny Fontane's glitzy Las Vegas funeral being the set-piece for one of the early plot points - maybe the first business meeting of the long-absent cousins Santino Jr., and Michael Francis (Rizzi) Corleone, with Anthony and Don Vincent Corleone. (Maybe they could reopen the Lake Tahoe house as a set...)

In the grand GF tradition of abruptly writing people out of the story line, I don't think anyone would object in the least if it was explained that shortly after Mary's murder, Vincent became suspicious that B.J. Harrison had supplied Lucchesi and Altobello with info which helped set up the attack at the opera house - and shortly thereafter, B.J. went on a fishing trip with Al Neri.

And by the mid-to-late 90s - the time frame for my version of GF IV - it's entirely reasonable to believe that Andrew Hagen would have left the priesthood and gone to work for the Corleone organization.

I'll just tick off a few plot points I think would logically follow in the "coda" sequences:

1) Immediately after Mary's murder, Michael withdraws from active involvement with the family for a period of maybe 10 years. Michael retires to Sicily where his overall health improves. Connie, with her eye for manipulation, remains more directly involved in the family as Vincent's ultimate consiglera.

Vincent marries Grace Madison a year or so after Mary's death, and they have a son, Vito Pietro Corleone, and daughter, Carmella Luciana Corleone, in the early 1980s (1981-1983).

In the early 1990s, underworld manipulation and infighting leave Vincent in a position where he has to ask Michael for help. "Once he thinks he's out, they pull him back in."

2) The shock of seeing Mary's murder fundamentally unhinges both Kay and Anthony. At first, they cut off all contact with Michael, but they remain embittered and enraged which grows worse over the years.

Anthony's opera career stalls and he returns to law practice, where he becomes wildly succesful for defending several high-profile celebrity clients from drug, murder and sex-crime raps. (They are all guilty, we are led to believe, but Anthony gets them off.)

Finally Kay advises Anthony that the only way he - they - can get revenge for Mary's death, is for Anthony to join the family operation. Michael at first disagrees, but Vincent and Connie see that Anthony's smoothness and legal skill would be useful.

3) Connie's son Michael Francis (Rizzi) Corleone finishes a decade-long federal prison drug trafficking sentence in the late 1980s. He is almost 40.(We also find out that his brother Victor, who was married with a son, was killed in a stolen-car crash in the mid-1970s.) He now wants into the organization.

4) At the same time, Santino Jr. - who has been living quietly as a real estate developer in Florida, is wiped out in a stock fraud case which results in his indictment. He is in his mid-40s. He is convicted and gets a suspended sentence, but also decides it is time for HIM to get involved in the family business, which his "bastard" half-brother Vincent is now in control of.

Santino also has a son, Mario Corleone, who was born in the late 70s when he and his ex-wife were living in Miami, and another son, Giorgio Corleone, about the same age as Vincent's kids (b. 1981). Connie's grandson Victor (Rizzi) Corleone Jr. (b. 1972) also went to live with his uncle Santino in the 70s, when his dad was killed in the car crash, and mother died of a drug OD.

Well anyway, that's how I'd do it for starters...

(and set up GF V and VI while we're at it too... )

"You did good."
Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208789
07/11/04 10:46 AM
07/11/04 10:46 AM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
Quote:
Finally Kay advises Anthony that the only way he - they - can get revenge for Mary's death, is for Anthony to join the family operation.
No way Kay tells him to do that. She killed her other son because she didn't even want the chance he would have worked for Michael.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208790
07/11/04 12:58 PM
07/11/04 12:58 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Quote:
Originally posted by Freddie C.:
No way Kay tells him to do that. She [b]killed her other son because she didn't even want the chance he would have worked for Michael. [/b][/QUOTE]

Just think about who, ultimately, Kay and Anthony might be planning to get revenge ON.

"You did good."
Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208791
08/12/04 06:42 PM
08/12/04 06:42 PM
Canada
Alex Morello Offline
Made Member
Alex Morello  Offline
Made Member
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
[/qb]
We have to remember that Michael, Sonny, Fredo, Connie, and Tom were no older then 30 in Part I. So you think they'd have to show them in their teenage years? -Pat [/QB][/QUOTE]

Connie was 18, Michael was 25, Fredo was 26, Sonny was 35, and Tom was also 35

Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208792
08/12/04 06:43 PM
08/12/04 06:43 PM
Canada
Alex Morello Offline
Made Member
Alex Morello  Offline
Made Member
Canada
[/qb][/QUOTE]We have to remember that Michael, Sonny, Fredo, Connie, and Tom were no older then 30 in Part I. So you think they'd have to show them in their teenage years? -Pat [/QB][/QUOTE]

Connie was 18, Michael was 25, Fredo was 26, Sonny was 35, and Tom was also 35

Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208793
08/12/04 07:46 PM
08/12/04 07:46 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:

Al Neri - Richard Bright

I haven't seen Bright in anything in a couple years but Al Neri's role would certainly be that of a very "senior consigliere" at this point.
He was in an episode of The Sopranos in a guest role in either Season 3 or 4. I can't remember which.

Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208794
08/14/04 04:10 PM
08/14/04 04:10 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
[quote]Originally posted by EnzoBaker:
[b]
Al Neri - Richard Bright

I haven't seen Bright in anything in a couple years but Al Neri's role would certainly be that of a very "senior consigliere" at this point.
He was in an episode of The Sopranos in a guest role in either Season 3 or 4. I can't remember which. [/b][/quote]I only started watching The Sopranos seriously in the last season or so, so I missed it.

It would have been great if they called him "Al." And asked him about, "How were things in the olden days, Al? I heard the old man passed away in Sicily a couple years ago..."

"You did good."
Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208795
09/11/04 07:44 PM
09/11/04 07:44 PM
AllEyesOnChris Offline
Button
AllEyesOnChris  Offline
Button
EnzoBaker, a cheesy reference to the events of The Godfather on a show like The Sopranos would be terrible. Like oil and water, these two worlds just do not mix

I understand that it's all in good fun, and I agree that Neri should be featured in a fourth installment.

Gangsters don't die, They get chubby and move to Miami.
- Jadakiss
Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208796
09/11/04 09:16 PM
09/11/04 09:16 PM
ireland
icarus Offline
Associate
icarus  Offline
Associate
ireland
different topic, i know, but i just have to ask: does anybody know anything about the solo voice and guitar version of the godfather waltz theme with italian lyrics? it's sung in GF2 during one of the vito corleone 'retrospectives' about half-way through. just after young vito makes his first assassination he returns to his wife and children (michael) sitting on doorstep and there's some some random guy with a guitar sitting on the steps of his house too, singing this song, i think (although it's not synched very well). i presume it's also the work of nino rota, but i've never heard of it published anywhere, on CD or sheet music. anyone know about it??

"Behind every great fortune,there is a crime!"-Charlie "Lucky" Luciano
Re: The only problem with a Part IV............... #208797
09/12/04 02:47 PM
09/12/04 02:47 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
^^^^ You might try making a topic just for that in the Godfather forum. Might get more replys.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull