GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, BarrettM, VitoCahill), 65 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,128
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,386
Posts1,059,760
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Should there be a 4th GF? #208726
06/15/04 08:55 PM
06/15/04 08:55 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline OP
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline OP
Capo
Toronto, Canada
I know most of you will be rooting for a 4th one. Persoanlly I would love for there to have beeen a 4th or 5th or even 6th. I don't think it's going to happen personally because of the death of Mario Puzo.

Call me a purist, but I think a 4th one is a risky proposition and everything would have to be absolutly emaculate for a 4th to live up the reputation of the GF trilogy.

What's your opinion on this? Should there be a 4th movie?

Re: Should there be a 4th GF? #208727
06/16/04 12:45 AM
06/16/04 12:45 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

I think you'll be surprised, many here are vehemently in opposition of a GF IV. I however think that, with the proper conditions, it could be possible, profitable, and an excellent edition to the saga.

1.) The new book, above all else, has to be kickass. Without Mario Puzo's influence, The Godfather is essentially FFC's interpretation of gangster America spiced with Coppola family traditions. Odds: Good, but not great because a writer is picking up where Puzo left off.

2.) FFC has to be involved, or at the very least, another director with experience in these types of films (Martin Scorcese, or maybe even Sergio Leone) to participate and take a major role over the creative structure. Also, if members of the original crew team such as Dean Tavoularis and Gordy Willis were included, it would be a plus. Odds: Not too good.

3.) Paramount, who own the rights to the franchise, have to allow the film to be made. Apparently, they are content to keep releasing crap. :p They don't feel GF is very profitable right now, or at least that's the way it appears, though there supposedly was talk with Leo Dicaprio, Andy Garcia, and some Aussie islands for filming GF IV, but who knows...Odds: Fair. They always are looking for money, and the studio will try anything if things take a financial downturn.

4.) Members of the original cast should appear if possible, and if appropriate. What impact will the death of Michael Corleone have on any and all sequels? I don't know how appropriate it would be to bring Pacino back since in GF III he seemed to become a hermit after Mary's death and died alone in Sicily. Nothing really noteworthy occurred during this time anyways. Andy Garcia should be brought back, no question, because his character would be integral to any story involving post 1970's Corleone family activity, even if he's brought in a supporting role to back up new faces, such as Sonny's other kids, Anthony, etc. Same for Talia Shire. James Caan is too old to play Sonny, John Cazale has passed away, and Brando could do a cameo, nothing more. Odds: Very Good, since most of these actors aren't doing much besides Pacino, who is always in high demand.

5.) An excellent screenplay, whether it is independant from FFC or not. This movie has to present a logical plot, not some half-cocked story like GF III, otherwise audiences will, for the most part, crap on it. Odds: Fair, depending on FFC's involvement.

Re: Should there be a 4th GF? #208728
06/16/04 12:23 PM
06/16/04 12:23 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
Anything that gives me more of the Godfather universe is a good thing, IMO, so I vote "YES"

However - I think we need to see what the new book brings into the Corleone world. I am not sure what the new book is about, I am guessing the period between the end of the flashbacks in Part 2 and the beginning of Part 1. Essentially - Vito's rise to power in the time before Part 1.

There could be some great stuff in that time frame. I think Vito was shot in the throat (it was mentioned in the book I think) as well as the rise of the Five Families and the Corleone's struggle with them. Remember - Clemenza said that there was a war ten years before Mike shoots Sollozo and McKlusky, so that could be explored.

Casting would be the biggest problem. De Niro could come back and play Vito - I think the movie would have to be built around De Niro in this role. Done the right way - it could come off extremely well. Brando is too fat and too old to get back into the role and make it blend into Part 1. Cast younger actors to play younger characters of Michael, Sonny, Fredo, Tom, etc...

I think FFC would have to seriously be in the running as the director, but I don't think it's imparative that he direct - since it's so likely that he won't. Sofia might be up for it, although she has demonstrated that she likes to do more art-house fair. However the Godfather has always been a family affair for the Coppolla's and she is an accomplished director. At least she won't be acting in it. Plus to see the world of The Godfather through the eyes of a woman director might bring a whole new aspect to the series. It could work.

But the director is the most important thing. If the book comes off well, my guess is that Winegardner would adapt script for the screen. The director needs to be someone who has the chops to do it. Although I really don't like his movies, I would be interested to see what Robert Altman could do with it...

I think that what ever the book brings into the fold, will be the basis for any possible movies. It would be more of a prequel or mid-quel since we already see what happens before and after this time frame.

I just don't think there is much importance or weight to any story that would take place post GF3. Sure Vincent was probably involved in some battles - and who knows, maybe what was left of the Corleone family is destroyed. Interesting fodder for a Part 4.

However - I just think there is more story in the past than the future. The golden age of the mafia is where it's at. And the nostalgia aspect for a mid-quel would work very well. The last thing I would want to see is another installment of The Godfather turn into some Sopranos rip off with it set in the modern day.

This project - if it ever happens is going to need to be handled with so much care and detail it's sickening. To solely cash in on the franchise name at this point would be blasphemy. I wouldn't want another movie if that were the case. But if the right people are attached - I'd say run with it. It could turn out really, really well.

Re: Should there be a 4th GF? #208729
06/16/04 09:55 PM
06/16/04 09:55 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
I didnt vote, because like the other people have said, there would be too many details for it to actually be as good as the first two. I would rather keep guessing at what might be then actually see the crap that most likely will be made. I do want to see a GF4, hell I'm writing my own script, but the reality of the situation is that it is probably going to be worse that GF3

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Should there be a 4th GF? #208730
06/18/04 05:27 PM
06/18/04 05:27 PM
Texas
Patches Offline
Underboss
Patches  Offline
Underboss
Texas
Even though Puzo had said he would like to do another, I don't like the idea. That is partly Puzo's creation and sholdn't be done without him IMO.

I voted no.

Re: Should there be a 4th GF? #208731
06/19/04 01:13 AM
06/19/04 01:13 AM
chile
angiez23 Offline
Underboss
angiez23  Offline
Underboss
chile
I voted no, too. The trilogy is done and consist in 3 movies, nothing else.

" What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?"

" Take me out tonight
Because I want to see people and I
Want to see life"- there is a light that never goes out by The smiths.
Re: Should there be a 4th GF? #208732
06/21/04 10:07 AM
06/21/04 10:07 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
After watching Part III for another time last night, and really not liking the direction they took with some plots... I am definite that IF they make another movie, that it would have to take place in the old days, before Godfather Part I.

The plot has been stretched so thin after Part III that it would probably turn out to be even more of the same. While the Young Sonny and Vincent outline sounded good - this franchise is about Michael and Vito.

Re: Should there be a 4th GF? #208733
07/27/04 02:48 PM
07/27/04 02:48 PM
Orangeburg
Scarface Back In Black Offline
Wiseguy
Scarface Back In Black  Offline
Wiseguy
Orangeburg
Fogeta bout it i think they should have stoped at II

Are you going to bark allday little doggie or are you going to bite?
Re: Should there be a 4th GF? #208734
08/02/04 07:29 PM
08/02/04 07:29 PM
PA
dragonwrangler95 Offline
Wiseguy
dragonwrangler95  Offline
Wiseguy
PA
I liked how 3 ended with the Death of Micheal

Re: Should there be a 4th GF? #208735
08/02/04 11:41 PM
08/02/04 11:41 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Actually I think IV could be considerably better than III, and might actually serve to improve III by tying up some of its loose ends and filling in some of the gaps in the plot between II and III.

It would all depend, of course, on finding the right combination of cast, director, producer, and writers.

I don't particularly think the death of Puzo hurts its chances - Puzo was emphatic that he DID want a GF IV to be made, and wrote substantial pieces of a script. I think FFC could be involved in a producer role to help tie together the whole thing thematically.

Regardless of who actually ended up writing and directing, the influence of MP and FFC would remain unmistakable.

"You did good."
Re: Should there be a 4th GF? #208736
08/03/04 03:40 PM
08/03/04 03:40 PM
PA
dragonwrangler95 Offline
Wiseguy
dragonwrangler95  Offline
Wiseguy
PA
yeah but how bad Movies are anymore, i wouldnt want to see any "Matrix" like stuff in it or, John Woo style, if FFC doesnt direct it you will get crap

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull