GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Millspgh), 263 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,326
Posts1,058,661
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Godfather Part IV: The Pros and Cons #207695
03/20/03 03:51 PM
03/20/03 03:51 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Vito's Legacy Offline OP
'Family' Man
Vito's Legacy  Offline OP
'Family' Man
Capo
Dublin, Ireland
Hey all, glad to be here. I'm new to the forum and have only recently gotten into the world of the Corleones. (I'm an avid book reader, so I hope to... sigh, eventually get round to reading the novel after going through some other books I want to read!) I've ride a wide range of information about the Corleones, (though in no way does this make me a scholar), and I hope to just provide some thoughts on a possible Godfather Part IV. Given my recent introduction to the Corleones, everything I say should be taken with just a grain of salt, and muchos apologies for ANY faults on any info I say on the Corleones!

The Pros of 'The Godfather: Part IV'

(1) In The Godfather: Part II we see Vito beginning to gain a foothold in the criminal underworld, (the 1920s) and we know from the start of The Godfather (1945) he is a powerful Don in command of a powerful criminal organisation, and Vito seems something akin to a fedal lord as he welcomes the neighboring crime families to Connie's wedding and takes requests from the community . But "what* got him to this point? How did he come to becomes so powerful? Indeed, how did his children cope with the growing power of The Family? When did Vito learn that it was Michael who had the potential to be in command of the organisation, that Fredo was too weak and Sonny too tempermental? What made him take Tom Hagen under his wing? What of his business dealings with Hyman Roth? So many intriguing questions that would the Godfather Saga seem more whole if they were addressed.

(2) What became of Vincent Mannuci following Mary's death in 1980? Right up to Michael's death in 1997, how did he cope with running the Corleone organisation? Or, as many suspect, would Vincent end up running the Corleone criminal organisation to ruins in the 1990s? (It'd be interesting to see the story end in 2001, because think of it: From 1901 (Vito fleeing to America) to 2001 (The end of the Corleone criminal organisation and possibly Vincent's death), that will be one hundred years spanning the criminal activities of the Corleone family).

(3) The parallel aspect between Vincent's story in the 80s/90s, and Vito's/Sonny's in the 20s/30s would make the film seem more powerful, as it did for the Godfather Part II. Some interesting contrasts could be gleened from the film as we watch Vito's activites making the Family more powerful/Vincent driving The Family business to ruins, as well as Sonny's early days in crime when compared to son Vincent's last days as Don.

(4) Several stories circulate, (confirmed by Coppola I believe), that Puzo had written an idea for a possible Godfather Part IV. For those worried about the lack of Puzo's involvement since his death, (Rest In Peace), any future makers of Part IV should merely use Puzo's idea as a blueprint. And considering Puzo also created the world of the Corleones, should be enough to call it 'Mario Puzo's The Godfather Part IV'.

The Cons of 'The Godfather: Part IV'

(1) The main theme running through the Godfather Trilogy is the story-arc and journey of Michael Corleone, (as well as him being the main character), as we see his rise to Don and how his human failings bring his downfall and isolation, (and in Mary's and Fredo's case, loss), of his loved ones. After Part III, (and his death at the very end) nothing needs more to be said on Michael Corleone. (Unless a possible appearance in the flashbacks of Part IV, as well as a cameo from Al Pacino before Michael's death during the Vincent regime). Michael's character and story-arc (in my opinion) are complete, and a possible weakness of Part IV will be the lack of Michael as a main character.

(2) Following worldwide disappointment and critical failure, studios may be reluctant to re-visit the world of the Corleones, and Part IV may possibly suffer at the box office... at least the studios may believe.

(3) Coppola has frequently expressed dissatisfaction over participating in Part IV, (especially considering the trouble and aftermath of the release of Part III), and this is entirely justifiable considering the death of Mario Puzo. Coppola could always be a creative consultant on Part IV if someone else were to direct, but Part IV may then be seen as a dent in The Godfather Saga as it would lack Coppola's directorial and artistic vision.

(4) If The Godfather: Part IV were to follow the formula of Part II i.e. flashbacks alongside the events of the present day, we would be seeing more of the Vincent regime then of Sonny's early days in Vito's organisation. Now who knows, a great spin could be put on the last days of The Family under Vincent but some fans (including myself) would rather see more of Sonny's early days. But as I said, who knows?

(4) About thirty years have passed since the release of The Godfather. Think about that... thirty years. If this sequel were to come in the next decade, and with Coppola's possible lack of involvement, and with many people who contributed to the trilogy passed on or unwilling to paticipate, ( as well as the ever changing world of cinema), this Part IV could be seen as a smudge on the Godfather Saga. Could be.

In Conclusion:

I believe my 'Cons' have more weight then my 'Pros', as the later is based on what I think Part IV might be, not necessarily what it would be, and 'The Cons' contain mostly facts rather then my general speculation. Yes, I guess I would like to see Part IV, and I'm sure many of us would despite the disappointment of Part III, but we'll never see Part IV as we would want it to be. And despite it's disappointment, I do believe Part III is a good movie. But a fourth, without Puzo's and possibly Coppla's involvement... could be enough to bring down the Saga. And with the lack of Michael Corleone... I'd be relucant to believe that Part IV would be as character driven as the last three.

And I've always believed the Saga ends in Part II, with Michael having driven himself from his loved ones and on his own... truly, the Godfather. Anything after Part II is just an epilogue.

"Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad news immediately..." wink
Re: The Godfather Part IV: The Pros and Cons #207696
03/23/03 01:15 PM
03/23/03 01:15 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Well first welcom to the board, and second congratulations with your first post. It's a post above average and I agree with you(except that Part 3 isn't good enough, It's my favorite). I hope to see many more posts of you.

Re: The Godfather Part IV: The Pros and Cons #207697
03/23/03 01:23 PM
03/23/03 01:23 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Vito's Legacy Offline OP
'Family' Man
'Family' Man
Capo
Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by M.M. Floors:
It's a post above average and I agree with you(except that Part 3 isn't good enough, It's my favorite). I hope to see many more posts of you.
Thanks man. And gee, that is interesting! What makes Part III your fave?

Re: The Godfather Part IV: The Pros and Cons #207698
03/25/03 02:47 AM
03/25/03 02:47 AM
California
Lisabella Offline
Made Member
Lisabella  Offline
Made Member
California
Welcome to the boards!

Lisabella
Re: The Godfather Part IV: The Pros and Cons #207699
03/25/03 04:53 PM
03/25/03 04:53 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Vito's Legacy Offline OP
'Family' Man
'Family' Man
Capo
Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Lisabella:
Welcome to the boards!
Grazie! What about you? Godfather IV: Yay or Nay?

Re: The Godfather Part IV: The Pros and Cons #207700
03/25/03 06:06 PM
03/25/03 06:06 PM
California
Lisabella Offline
Made Member
Lisabella  Offline
Made Member
California
I'm still not sure about a 4th Godfather movie. If they made one of course I'd see it. But I'm kind of undecided of whether they should make another one or not. If they have different people and things I don't think it'll be the same. I would like to see what happens in some of the years they leave out. But I think a book might be enough for that.

Lisabella
Re: The Godfather Part IV: The Pros and Cons #207701
03/26/03 08:39 AM
03/26/03 08:39 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Vito's Legacy:
[quote]Originally posted by M.M. Floors:
[b] It's a post above average and I agree with you(except that Part 3 isn't good enough, It's my favorite). I hope to see many more posts of you.
Thanks man. And gee, that is interesting! What makes Part III your fave? [/b][/quote]A lot of things. First the intrigues, the stuff with the Vatican. The new characters (Lucchesi, Zasa, Altobello all perfect), the cry of michael outside the opera house (my favo scene of the whole trilogy) and of course a lot of things more.

Re: The Godfather Part IV: The Pros and Cons #207702
03/26/03 05:23 PM
03/26/03 05:23 PM
Missouri
Bogus Castellano Offline
Underboss
Bogus Castellano  Offline
Underboss
Missouri
Hmmm...interesting. I still like Part II the best with all of the uh, flashbacks with the old Don.

"It is no secret that organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year. This is quite a profitable sum, especially when one considers that the Mafia spends very little for office supplies."
-Woody Allen

"I'm going to blame some of the people in this room. And that, I do not forgive."

-Don Vito Corleone
Re: The Godfather Part IV: The Pros and Cons #207703
03/26/03 05:33 PM
03/26/03 05:33 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Pros: NONE

Cons:
The story has been told. It's over. We don't have to know what happened between Mary's death and Michael's, because Michael's life effectively ended when his daughter was killed. He was a broken man. End of story.

Thanks for listening,
AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The Godfather Part IV: The Pros and Cons #207704
05/03/03 04:36 AM
05/03/03 04:36 AM
Willie Cicci Offline
Button
Willie Cicci  Offline
Button
An intercut Godfather IV would show a contrast between the age of Prohibition in the 1920s/30s, and the age of drug lords in the 1990s.

I think this could be a very interesting film - the contrast between the relative light-heartedness of alcohol prohibition in the 1920s (everyone was drinking!) with the darker, grity drug-prohibition world of dealers and cartels.

Re: The Godfather Part IV: The Pros and Cons #207705
05/03/03 08:00 PM
05/03/03 08:00 PM
Los Angeles
Don Falcone Offline
Wiseguy
Don Falcone  Offline
Wiseguy
Los Angeles
Please refer to this thread: http://www.thegodfathertrilogy.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000130

I don't like his most of his movies but Leonardo DiCaprio might make a good young Sonny Corleone.

"There's too much money in it to resist."

-Don Falcone of Los Angeles on the Topic of Drugs at the meeting of the Five Families organized by Don Corleone.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull