GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 366 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,857
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,421
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Castellano-murder #205431
03/06/06 09:30 AM
03/06/06 09:30 AM
juventus Offline OP
Underboss
juventus  Offline OP
Underboss
There is something I dont get in the Castellano-murder. Gotti formed a group called the Fist. In that group were DeCicco and Gravano (maybe more, i dont know).
I'm reading Peter Maas's Underboss and Gravano told that Angie Ruggiero said to him: "Sammy you're very important to us, without you we cant do it!" (something like that). Sammy later tells that Gotti and Ruggiero were nothing without DeCicco and himself.

But, what doesn't make sense to me: Gravano was still a soldier a that time (according to gangstersinc.tripod.com, Toddo Aurello retired under Gotti's reign making Sammy the new Capo of his crew)...
So, why was a soldier like Sammy Gravano so important in the Castellano-hit?

'This was just another Bronx tale.'
Re: The Castellano-murder #205432
03/07/06 12:31 PM
03/07/06 12:31 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Two reasons I believe are these: 1) Sammy was the Iceman - he was a stone cold killer who meticulously planned his hits. And when you're going to whack the Boss of Bosses, you want someone like that with you. In other words, you don't want to miss or it will be you getting whacked.
2) Sammy was a tremendous earner. If the hit on Big Paul was successful, then Gotti could get his hands on some of the money Sammy brought in.

I recommend you read "Gangland" by Howard Blum. It's an excellent account of how the FBI nailed Gotti, how and why Sammy turned, and has a riveting account of the Castellano murder.

Re: The Castellano-murder #205433
03/07/06 01:23 PM
03/07/06 01:23 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I read "Underboss" as well. If I remember correctly, Gotti relied on Gravano as a pal, supporter, and as muscle. The fact that Gravano was nominally a soldier wasn't important--what counted was that Gotti trusted him. But the key guy was Frankie DiCicco, who was a ranking capo under Castellano, and who was close enough to Castellano to bring off the plot. DiCicco actually planned the hit, and did so brilliantly--using six gunmen dressed in identical hats and coats, and using identical weapons, to confuse witnesses and prevent positive identification. If I remember correctly, Gravano says that he and Gotti wanted DiCicco to be the new Don, but Frankie figured that if he did, Gotti would always be right behind him, waiting to take over, probably whacking him eventually.

All this pales before the fact that we're reading a book about Gravano, with Gravano as the main source of info. Of course he's going to embellish his role in the affair, telling us how important he was, how he was "honorable" and Gotti wasn't, how he turned rat on Gotti because Gotti deserved it--etc., etc. I think he even heaped scorn on Castellano because he dismissed him as a mere "racketeer," whereas he and Gotti were real "gangsters." :rolleyes: The guy would have made a loyal SS man.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull