GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Malavita), 362 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,428
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Greatest" Mafioso? #205335
02/26/06 05:17 PM
02/26/06 05:17 PM
WI
Morello Offline OP
Wiseguy
Morello  Offline OP
Wiseguy
WI
I'd give the nod to Luciano or Gambino.

I worked my whole life - I don't apologize - to take care of my family...And I refused to be a fool, dancing on the strings held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize. That's my life.
Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205336
02/26/06 05:20 PM
02/26/06 05:20 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Morello:
I'd give the nod to Luciano or Gambino.
I'd have to go with Meyer Lansky and Lucky Luciano.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205337
02/27/06 12:37 AM
02/27/06 12:37 AM
South Florida
Goodfella 69 Offline
Underboss
Goodfella 69  Offline
Underboss
South Florida
Tony Accardo, Carlo Gambino, and Lucky Luciano.

"Murders came with smiles, shooting people was no big deal for us Goodfellas..."
Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205338
02/27/06 09:57 AM
02/27/06 09:57 AM
Chicago, IL
Donatello Noboddi Offline
Made Member
Donatello Noboddi  Offline
Made Member
Chicago, IL
I'd say Accardo.

I came, I saw, I had no idea what was going on, I left.
Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205339
02/27/06 10:57 AM
02/27/06 10:57 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
While none of them are actually "great," but speaking within the parameters of organized crime, I would be interested to know why some of you have picked who you have as feeling that they were the greatest mafioso.

The reason that I feel that Lansky and Luciano were the great ones within the mafioso's world are because these two men revolutionized organized crime. Luciano was responsible for setting the structure and foundation for the way organized crime has been run for many years. He was able to bring the powers within the mafia together and form a "corporation" of sorts. Lansky of course was the brains behind Luciano. Lansky educated himself in order to stay a step ahead of law enforcement and his enemies.

Luciano had the knack for influencing others within the underworld to see thinkgs his way. Luciano and Lansky were the reason that mob crimes became known as organized crime. They were able to bring competitors within the underworld who were killing and robbing each other together to work towards a common gaol : making money. And they always made money for their partners.

Those two were the Bill Gates' and the Richard Bransons' of the underworld. In my opinon those two had the ability to lead and become successful in any business venture that they took on, be it legitimate or not.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205340
02/27/06 12:01 PM
02/27/06 12:01 PM
Muscat, Oman
Don Zadjali Offline
Underboss
Don Zadjali  Offline
Underboss
Muscat, Oman
Good Point! Don Cardi

----------
Don Zadjali

"Pain has no tendency, in its own right, to proliferate. When it is over, it is over, and the natural sequel is joy."
- C. S. Lewis

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh"
- George Bernard Shaw

Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205341
02/27/06 12:16 PM
02/27/06 12:16 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Carlo Gambino, and no question at all. He was the most intelligent mafioso, he always avoided to be heard on wire tapes speaking about dangerous matters. Most of the people and the law enforcement thought for many years Niell Dellacroce was the boss, he never showed himself arrogant and spending his money(and he could afford to do it)all over the world.He avoided to be deported and spent his last days in USA, he made good on his Mafia quote "You have to be like a lion and a fox", he scared his enemies away like a lion and he discovered the traps like a fox.If there is a mistake Carlo Gambino had made is making Paul Castellano the Don over Niell Dellacroce despite his problems with the tax evasion. Ok the boss is the boss, but Niell was the underboss and had the right to be the Don.

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205342
02/27/06 01:47 PM
02/27/06 01:47 PM
Chicago, IL
Donatello Noboddi Offline
Made Member
Donatello Noboddi  Offline
Made Member
Chicago, IL
My reasons for saying Accardo are:
  • nearly 50 years at the helm of the Outfit
  • Joe Batters - 'nuff said.
  • Never spent a full night in jail
  • The Outfit enjoyed the most profits under his reign

I came, I saw, I had no idea what was going on, I left.
Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205343
02/28/06 08:16 PM
02/28/06 08:16 PM
Corleone, Sicily
Dominic Corleone Offline
Button
Dominic Corleone  Offline
Button
Corleone, Sicily
Salvatore Lucania and/or Francesco Castiglia

All right, you are what you are. It’s your nature. You stay close to me. You don’t do anything. You keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open. And you do what I tell you. Understand?
Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205344
02/28/06 10:42 PM
02/28/06 10:42 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominic Corleone:
Would you like to share your thoughts with us on why you think that these two guys were the "greatest?'

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205345
02/28/06 11:18 PM
02/28/06 11:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Much as I love organized crime stuff, I won't use the word "greatest" to describe people who were parasites on society, and who inflicted untold death, hardship and corruption. Instead, my view of the most successful Mafia leaders:
--Carlo Gambino was undoubtedly the most successful modern Don. Never convicted of a crime since the Thirties. Built the largest and most powerful Mob family in the US. Lived modestly, was virtually immune to arrest. De facto Boss of Bosses. Died peacefully (I give lots of weight to that factor!).
--Charlie Luciano: Sicilian-born, but the first truly American Mafia Don. A modern businessman in every sense--in effect, a captain of (criminal) industry. Formed and led the Commission, which, while never as effective as most people would like to believe, was a tremendous innovation and improvement over the "Moustache Pete" era. Reached out to and used (to good advantage) non-Italian gangsters. Even in prison, ruled by force of character. Shortcoming: not low-profile enough to escape arrest, prosecution, conviction and exile.
--Frank Costello: "Prime Minister of the Underworld". Iron hand in velvet glove. Political powerhouse--no judge was made in NYC without "Uncle Frank." Nationwide leader (with Meyer Lansky) of big-time gambling. Only Mafia guy who was seriously interested in Vegas in its early days. Retired successfully and got revenge on his replacement. Died peacefully.
--Tony Accardo: Brought order out of chaos in Chicago after Capone's conviction, Nitti's suicide and Ricca's short-lived transition. Your basic thug who succeeded by recognizing the power of brains, and letting brains overcome violence (but never letting go of violence when needed). Amazingly long reign, which extended even after he "retired." Never let The Law get to first base.

Those were real Mafia guys. Probably the richest, and most all-powerful American gangster was Louis (Lepke) Buchalter. He wasn't a Mafia guy, and he was the only mob boss who died in the electric chair, which disqualifies him (IMO) from my "success" definition. I will post a biography of him in the next few days.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205346
03/01/06 10:08 AM
03/01/06 10:08 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
I will post a biography of him in the next few days.
Finally! :p

I'm really looking forward to it.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205347
03/01/06 02:58 PM
03/01/06 02:58 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Check it out!

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205348
03/01/06 03:55 PM
03/01/06 03:55 PM
Bulgari
Veso Offline
Wiseguy
Veso  Offline
Wiseguy
Bulgari
Vasil Bojkov

Maybe not so great in the world.But in my country he did all a man can.He practically controls everything,and nobody knows if he has illegal business.(if u want more info read in the topic "Why choose a life in crime?")

Control the world,instead of letting it to control you.
Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205349
03/01/06 04:26 PM
03/01/06 04:26 PM
Luciano Fanucci Offline
Underboss
Luciano Fanucci  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Much as I love organized crime stuff, I won't use the word "greatest" to describe people who were parasites on society, and who inflicted untold death, hardship and corruption. Instead, my view of the most successful Mafia leaders:
--Carlo Gambino was undoubtedly the most successful modern Don. Never convicted of a crime since the Thirties. Built the largest and most powerful Mob family in the US. Lived modestly, was virtually immune to arrest. De facto Boss of Bosses. Died peacefully (I give lots of weight to that factor!).
--Charlie Luciano: Sicilian-born, but the first truly American Mafia Don. A modern businessman in every sense--in effect, a captain of (criminal) industry. Formed and led the Commission, which, while never as effective as most people would like to believe, was a tremendous innovation and improvement over the "Moustache Pete" era. Reached out to and used (to good advantage) non-Italian gangsters. Even in prison, ruled by force of character. Shortcoming: not low-profile enough to escape arrest, prosecution, conviction and exile.
--Frank Costello: "Prime Minister of the Underworld". Iron hand in velvet glove. Political powerhouse--no judge was made in NYC without "Uncle Frank." Nationwide leader (with Meyer Lansky) of big-time gambling. Only Mafia guy who was seriously interested in Vegas in its early days. Retired successfully and got revenge on his replacement. Died peacefully.
--Tony Accardo: Brought order out of chaos in Chicago after Capone's conviction, Nitti's suicide and Ricca's short-lived transition. Your basic thug who succeeded by recognizing the power of brains, and letting brains overcome violence (but never letting go of violence when needed). Amazingly long reign, which extended even after he "retired." Never let The Law get to first base.

Those were real Mafia guys. Probably the richest, and most all-powerful American gangster was Louis (Lepke) Buchalter. He wasn't a Mafia guy, and he was the only mob boss who died in the electric chair, which
disqualifies him (IMO) from my "success" definition. I will post a biography of him in the next few days.
Nitti commited suicide?

Omerta.
Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205350
03/01/06 05:09 PM
03/01/06 05:09 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Luciano Fanucci:
Nitti commited suicide?
He blew his brains out with a pistol. As our good friend SC once posted :

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
Nitti was facing some heavy prison time after the Chicago mob "turned on him" and expected he take the rap for some others (along with himself) who were indicted on charges of shaking down movie studios. Rather than face prison he shot himself.

Frank Nitti was a good shot.
Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205351
03/01/06 06:55 PM
03/01/06 06:55 PM
Corleone, Sicily
Dominic Corleone Offline
Button
Dominic Corleone  Offline
Button
Corleone, Sicily
quote:Originally posted by Dominic Corleone:

Would you like to share your thoughts with us on why you think that these two guys were the "greatest?'

Don Cardi

i just think Charlie "Lucky" Luciano (Salvatore Lucania) and/or Frank Costello (Francesco Castiglia) - revolutionized the mustache petes - way of thinking - they expanded on what Salvatore Maranzano and Joe Masseria didnt think was going to work. the old dons had one mindset - kill and not expand - just my thoughts.

All right, you are what you are. It’s your nature. You stay close to me. You don’t do anything. You keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open. And you do what I tell you. Understand?
Re: "Greatest" Mafioso? #205352
03/06/06 09:06 AM
03/06/06 09:06 AM
juventus Offline
Underboss
juventus  Offline
Underboss
I agree with Turnbull. But I think people underestimate mafiosi of a later era. From the 80's mafiosi had a much harder time staying out of the can.

Vincent Gigante was the boss of the most powerfull family from the early 80's till the late 90's in freedom. Finally, after 25 years he went to the can because of Gravano's testimony..

The Bonanno-family was heavily weakened after Donnie Brasco but Massino made it one of the most powerfull families in the US (maybe only except the Genoveses). The he went to the can because the testimony of his friend, brother-in-law and underboss. Of course, becoming a rat made him one of the worst mob-bosses ever.

'This was just another Bronx tale.'

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull