GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 339 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,673
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
al capone and john gotti #204673
12/24/05 10:55 AM
12/24/05 10:55 AM
Sherbrooke
Caporegime23 Offline OP
Associate
Caporegime23  Offline OP
Associate
Sherbrooke
do you think that john Gotti and al Capone are same?

I think that there are same because of there brutal violence

alexandre laforge
Re: al capone and john gotti #204674
12/24/05 11:30 AM
12/24/05 11:30 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
What do yo mean by "being same"? Looking like each other, similarities? Is that what you mean?

They both were greatly overrated, were too much in public, and used too much violence.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: al capone and john gotti #204675
12/24/05 02:05 PM
12/24/05 02:05 PM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
He means their personalities. I wouldn't quite say they are the same, but their methods of doing business were close. If i remember reading somewhere, a turncoat in the Gambino family during Gotti's reign said that alot of the influence Gotti had was based off of The Godfather, which, from seeing the movies, I would say was based off of the second one and the end of the first one. Needless to say, Capone seemed more like the blood hungry mobster, while gotti was more wealth and power killing who he had to in order to get it.

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"
Re: al capone and john gotti #204676
12/25/05 07:35 PM
12/25/05 07:35 PM
MistaMista Tom Hagen Offline
Underboss
MistaMista Tom Hagen  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:

They both were greatly overrated, were too much in public, and used too much violence.
I was actually under the impression that Capone's only real weaknesses was his affinity for the press, although even that, at the time, was not especially negative. He used to recieve standing ovations at baseball games like he was some kind of movie star or something.

As far as his being overrated, I also thought that he ran his operation fairly effectively, eliminating the Northsiders and other Irish gangs as well as the Genna's. Besides his unlucky conviction for tax evasion, I dont see what about his fame and power was overrated.

I'm interested to know your reasoning, Enzo.

I dream in widescreen.
Re: al capone and john gotti #204677
12/25/05 09:28 PM
12/25/05 09:28 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Capone represents a mixed picture of success and failure. On the one hand, he built an organization that was far bigger and more powerful than his mentor, Johnny Torrio, had ever envisioned. At his peak, he took in $110 million a year (in nice, solid, gold-backed 1920's dollars). He went beyond the three B's (Booze, Bets and Broads) to build relatively sophisticated business associations and labor rackets that endured after Prohibition was repealed. His organization at times ran Chicago and its suburbs, and wielded big power through Illinois.
On the other hand, Capone was never able to completely squash the Northside gang or even some of the smaller mobs that competed with his Organization. As a result, Chicago became the most violent city in the US during the '20's. His hunger for publicity brought him lots of negative attention from fellow gangsters (who forced him to get himself arrested and spend a year in jail to cool off), and from the President of the US, who made it his top priority to send him away. Capone also was a degenerate gambler (and, according to his most recent biographer, a cocaine addict). He spent nearly all the money that he didn't blow at the track on crooked politicians who deserted him, and on incompetent lawyers who missed opportunities that would have enabled him to beat the tax rap that finished him. And Capone's fear of needles kept him from getting the medical attention that might have prevented his syphillis from reaching the tertiary stage.
What can I say about Gotti that hasn't already been said? Like Capone, he was a publicity hound, and his grandstanding attracted the wrath of law enforcement at every level. But instead of building an organization, he ran his into the ground.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: al capone and john gotti #204678
12/26/05 01:32 AM
12/26/05 01:32 AM
MistaMista Tom Hagen Offline
Underboss
MistaMista Tom Hagen  Offline
Underboss
Thanks for the knowledge Turnbull.

I dream in widescreen.
Re: al capone and john gotti #204679
12/27/05 06:00 PM
12/27/05 06:00 PM
Cuneo Offline
Button
Cuneo  Offline
Button
I think Capone and Gotti are similar in the sense that they both are brutal but Capone wasnt exactly a don. he was a leader of the misfit which included irish gangsters and even his business leader was a Russian (Guzik). that aside they both were similar.

"Finance is a gamble, Politics is just knowing when to pull the trigger."
Re: al capone and john gotti #204680
12/28/05 12:25 PM
12/28/05 12:25 PM
Chicago, IL
Donatello Noboddi Offline
Made Member
Donatello Noboddi  Offline
Made Member
Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Cuneo:
I think Capone and Gotti are similar in the sense that they both are brutal but Capone wasnt exactly a don. he was a leader of the misfit which included irish gangsters and even his business leader was a Russian (Guzik). that aside they both were similar.
Woah!

These "misfit" as you call them were one of the most powerful organized crime organizations ever. No, they didn't celebrate the pomp and tradition that New York did. But that's the Chicago way. The Second City has made a career of taking things and making them their own. (IE - pizza, skyscrapers, etc.)

Maybe it's my civic pride showing, but I kind of take offense at them being called misfits. Granted, any organized crime figure can be labeled a misfit, but singling out the Outfit over the New York families is just wrong. They were just as powerful. You don't have to be Italian and "made" to be a criminal mastermind. (Guzik - Russian jew / Humphreys - Welsh / Alex - Greek)

Back to the topic at hand. Honestly the only real comparison between Capone and Gotti is that the spotlight led to their downfall.

I came, I saw, I had no idea what was going on, I left.
Re: al capone and john gotti #204681
12/28/05 12:42 PM
12/28/05 12:42 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
I think that might've been a mistake. I think he meant the "Outfit."

Hey, how's it going?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull