GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ciment, DanteMoltisanti), 454 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,080
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,371
Posts1,059,524
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Made or Non-made #204064
11/05/05 06:29 PM
11/05/05 06:29 PM
juventus Offline OP
Underboss
juventus  Offline OP
Underboss
What's just the big difference between being a made-guy and being a non-made-guy, an associate?
I know a made-guy gets more respect and things like that but what's the difference in the ordinary day of a wiseguy?

Is it true that as a made-guy you got a job (an gambling-racket, drugracket thing like that)? And that if you're not made you just need to go out and steal (hijack trucks and things like that)?

So, what's the different? What the difference in the ordinary day of a wiseguy?

'This was just another Bronx tale.'
Re: Made or Non-made #204065
11/05/05 07:01 PM
11/05/05 07:01 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
I think it's the protection. When a non-made guy get's in trouble with other criminals, I don't think the family he associates with will turn into hero's and rescue him...
But when a member of the maffia, a made guy gets in trouble, the family will help him out. Probably more out of selfinterest, but still...

And probably it's also a money thing, that non made guys have to bring in more money for the boss, and stuff.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Made or Non-made #204066
11/08/05 12:19 PM
11/08/05 12:19 PM
juventus Offline OP
Underboss
juventus  Offline OP
Underboss
Thanks Enzo,

But I think there is more. They say the day that they are made is the greatest day in their life so there must be a big differnce...

Re: Made or Non-made #204067
11/08/05 12:55 PM
11/08/05 12:55 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Juventus, being "made" is a "status" move--and very little more. A guy who's "made" thinks that he's made it to the top of the world. In reality, he's the low man on the Mafia totem pole.
Think of the Mafia in America as what we call a "pyramid" scheme. A made guy reports to a crew chief or capo. The good part is that he's given a "living"--some kind of racket, like loan shark action, or a bookmaking parlor. The bad part is that he's also given a "nut"--a specific amount of money that he's supposed to make from his racket that he has to give to his crew chief or capo every week...or else!
Supposedly, a made guy gets protection from his Family: if he's arrested, the Family will provide legal counsel, bail money and, if he's convicted, support his family while he's in prison. In reality, not many Families provide that support. Reason: because the Mafia is a pyramid scheme, all money is supposed to flow upward to the Don, not downward to the soldier. John Gotti was arrested for killing James McBratney on Carlo Gambino's orders. But when he was arrested, Gambino didn't offer to pay for his lawyer. Instead, he asked his hierarchy to come up the money (luckily for Gotti, they did). Many Mafia rats turned because their Families didn't support them.
By contrast, an "associate" or unmade guy can operate like a freelancer. He can take on jobs or "scores" on behalf of a Mafia crew, and with their protection and support. He gives them a percentage of his score (probably a large percentage), but he doesn't have to come up with a "nut" every week. He can come and go as he pleases. If he violates a Mafia "rule," he may not be subject to Mafia "justice." Best of all, if he's not "made," he won't get as much scrutiny from law enforcement as a made guy.
A good example is found in the movie "Goodfellas." Jimmy Conway and Henry Hill could never be made because they weren't full-blooded Italians. But Conway functioned as a crew chief under Paulie's protection, ordered other guys around, and he and Henry made plenty of money. And when they violated a Mafia rule (assisting in the killing of Billy Batts, a made man), only Tommy paid the price, because Tommy was full-blooded Italian and was about to be made.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Made or Non-made #204068
11/08/05 01:40 PM
11/08/05 01:40 PM
juventus Offline OP
Underboss
juventus  Offline OP
Underboss
Thanks TB...

So the big difference is he has a 'living' and has to pay a 'nut' every week to his guy above him.

Thanks

Re: Made or Non-made #204069
11/08/05 01:59 PM
11/08/05 01:59 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
TB.....Wouldn't it be fair to say that the main reason Conway wasn't also killed - even though he "participated" along with Tommy in the Billy Batts killing - was that he was too good an earner?

I imagine that that would have applied to real life as well, or was the real life James Burke's participation in killing Batts (I forgot the real name of the guy) an invention strictly for the movie?

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Made or Non-made #204070
11/08/05 03:04 PM
11/08/05 03:04 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
TB.....Wouldn't it be fair to say that the main reason Conway wasn't also killed - even though he "participated" along with Tommy in the Billy Batts killing - was that he was too good an earner?
Definitely! (I've posted previously that I thought it was the underlying reason.) But Paulie had that option in Conway/Burke's case because he wasn't a made guy or Italian.

I imagine that that would have applied to real life as well, or was the real life James Burke's participation in killing Batts (I forgot the real name of the guy) an invention strictly for the movie? [/QUOTE]
I think it was an invention. As you know, plaw, the identity of "Billy Batts" has been much covered here. The closest I could come was an account in Capeci/Mustain's "Mob Star" Gotti book, which implies that William Battista was the basis. But Battista was a bookie, who may have been a Federal informant, and bore no real life relationship to "Billy Batts."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull