GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 280 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,823
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mobsters' AKA nick names #203496
09/19/05 11:32 AM
09/19/05 11:32 AM
Remember Vito Andolini Offline OP
Capo
Remember Vito Andolini  Offline OP
Capo
Do they call each other by nick names like "Prime Minister", "The Ant", "Scarface", "Momo", etc? Or these nick names are invented by the Fed or the press?

Ricky Roma: You are here to help us... does that seem clear to you? That's your job... To help us, not to fuck us up... to help those who are going out there to try to earn a living... You fairy! You company man!
Re: Mobsters' AKA nick names #203497
09/19/05 11:51 AM
09/19/05 11:51 AM
juventus Offline
Underboss
juventus  Offline
Underboss
I think some of them are invented by the media, some by enemies and some by friends..

The nickname Bugsy was invented by some journalist (dont know the entire story, but Siegel called them bugs or something like that)

The enemies of Al Capone called him Scarface because of his Scar on his cheek. Nobody ever called him Scarface when he (Capone) himself was around.

Tony Corallo got his nickname Ducks for ducking many convictions. This was a name invented by his boss out of 'respect'.

'This was just another Bronx tale.'
Re: Mobsters' AKA nick names #203498
09/19/05 12:19 PM
09/19/05 12:19 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by juventus:
The nickname Bugsy was invented by some journalist (dont know the entire story, but Siegel called them bugs or something like that)
Siegel and Lansky had to appear for a judge, when they were still very young, somewhere around 1920. The judge called them 'bugs'. They kept using the name, but only when Bugsy himself wasn't around.
Or, the one who adressed Siegel as Bugsy, was soon about to sleep with the bugs.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Mobsters' AKA nick names #203499
09/19/05 06:44 PM
09/19/05 06:44 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
John Koble, Capone's best biographer, noted that nearly all the gansters' nicknames were applied by journalists who wrote about them--not by themselves. As Kobler pointed out, they didn't greet themselves with, "Yo, Greasy Thumb," or "WasssUPPP, Three-Finger!" In fact, most gangsters hated those nicknames (Bugsy Siegel being the prime example--call him "Bugsy" and you'd be on the floor!). Same with Capone and "Scarface": the only nickname he favored was "Snorky."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mobsters' AKA nick names #203500
09/21/05 02:44 AM
09/21/05 02:44 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
In Chicago, nobody but the press ever referred to Tony Accordo as "Big Tuna." It's always been "JB" or "Joe" here in the neighborhood.

That tuna, the one that actually led to the nickname, was stuffed and hung on the wall of his first home in suburban River Forest. That house was open to the public for the first time as part of a housewalk not too long ago. The tuna has long since been replaced and a swordfish now hangs in its place.

A couple of years ago, I was dining at a local restaurant with a gal pal. She's not from the area, having being raised in a small farm town in central Illinois. But she's pretty smart, and we've been friends for a long time, so she knows pretty much what I know. At the next booth, some guy was carrying on with his guests about how "all the big gangsters lived here" in the neighborhood. He made a couple of references to Big Tuna and how he'll take his friends on a tour of the neighborhood and show them Big Tuna's house...and Big Tuna this and Big Tuna that...yada, yada, yada. He was just loud enough so that other people around us would periodically turn and look.

Now, I would never say anything under those circumstances, figuring, I'm getting a floor show for free. But I'm with the perfect person to create a punchline for the joke sitting in the next booth.

After the guy says The Big Tuna for about the tenth time, my gal pal leans over and, in her most deliberate exaggerated downstate twang, says to the guy, "Are you from this neighborhood?" And he says yes. And she says, "I'm not. I live in (downstate farm town), born and raised there. But even I would NEVER refer to JB as 'The Big Tuna.'"

The guy sat their flabbergasted and really didn't say much for the rest of the meal.

I just smiled.

...that's a true story, Kay. That's my friend, not me.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Mobsters' AKA nick names #203501
09/22/05 02:59 PM
09/22/05 02:59 PM
Warsaw
Joe Batters Offline
Capo
Joe Batters  Offline
Capo
Warsaw
Thats a truly Mafioso gal
one of a kind

Joe Batters

Aspanu summon the all of the chiefs
DEATH TO ALL WHO BETRAY GIULIANO!
Re: Mobsters' AKA nick names #203502
09/22/05 07:07 PM
09/22/05 07:07 PM
Kentucky
Mr.MojoRisin Offline
Capo
Mr.MojoRisin  Offline
Capo
Kentucky
Dutch Shultz was called the Dutchman I think by fellow gangsters, but i'm not sure where the name actually came from. So I'd say some of them actually liked the nicknames.

Re: Mobsters' AKA nick names #203503
09/24/05 06:17 AM
09/24/05 06:17 AM
Warsaw
Joe Batters Offline
Capo
Joe Batters  Offline
Capo
Warsaw
I think alot of their nicknames are made up over the years by the people around them probably moer the low level guys that grew up in the neiborhood and have been around the same guys all their lives....everyone konws how a nickname can get started and just sticks like my friends at home call me Poonze, do I know why?? No....here are nicknames of my friends Dame-Game, B-Dizzle, Chuck, G-mos, HankDingland, C-lowe, Dingy, Skinny Benny, Blandon, Duece, Fat Beezy, Hershy, Jney, Jj Weenz, Juice, T Money, Sea Bass, Shloig, Skinly, Stale, Trevun, Tuna, Wein, Yith,Ziggy

Where did all these nicknames come from??? From us over the years....And thats were I believe alot of these guys nicknames come from...and of course a lot are from teh press but I think the ones guys like and the ones their closest associastes and friends caem up with

Joe Batters

Aspanu summon the all of the chiefs
DEATH TO ALL WHO BETRAY GIULIANO!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull