GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, 1 invisible), 207 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,830
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,302
Posts1,058,255
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203476
09/18/05 10:06 AM
09/18/05 10:06 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I've seen that there are members here who feel that the mob is not so bad. To quote one post :

Quote:
I still think they are good people, I don´t care what they do, the most important thing is if they love their wives, their children and their friends. That´s it. Who can say Carlo Gambino was a bad person just because he was a mafioso?
That disturbs me. Yes, we all joined this board because of our love for movies like The Godfather, and because of our interest in mobsters, and there is nothing wrong with that in itself. As long as we keep in perspective who these people really are and how they really do affect our everyday lives.

Sure, a mobster can come off as a really nice father, a good neighbor and a cordial person. In that snese they are no different than the other neighbor that is the CEO of a bank or the owner of a restaurant chain. All of these people are capable of loving thier families, and being nice to their neighbors and friends. I'm sure that some of the biggest Dicatators in history were capable of loving those around them. But does that make them good people?

John Gotti was LOVED in his neighborhood. He threw parties for the people, and took care of many of them in different ways. He never bothered his neighborhood people. What he did didn't affect them, Right? I'm sure that if I lived next store to John Gotti when he was alive, I probably would have liked him as a nieghbor. He wouldn't bother me. What he did for a living wouldn't affect me, right?

Wrong. It affects all of us.

When you break it down and really look at the things that these guys do, you realize that they actually are affecting your life and indirectly bothering you.

They rig bids on city and governemnt jobs, and then charge huge prices for these contracts. That affects you and I as tax payers.

They monopolize many kinds of "legitimate" businesses. For example in New York they had the Fulton Fish Market locked up big time. They forced legitimate business owners there to provide " no show " jobs for their cronies. Doing that forced the owners of these businesses to raise their prices which eventually trickled down to you and I, the consumer. It caused us to pay more money for the fish that we bought from our local markets.

These mobsters ran the waterfront for many years. They forced shipping companies to hire more workers than were needed. At top Union scale wages. And usually those workers were cronies of the mob, and many times for the mobsters and Dons themselves, who wouldn't even bother to show up for work. Again these "no show" jobs were created for many of these mobsters so that they could establish that they held "legitimate" jobs for tax purposes. This in turn caused a large rise in operating expneses for these shipping companies, which in turn forced the companies to charge more money for the merchandise that they shipped and took delivery of. Again the domino effect takes place and these costs are passed on to you and I, the consumers, when we eventually but these items from retail outfits.

The mob deals in stolen goods. Well these goods are not stolen out of thin air. They are taken from businesses. In order to cover the costs of stolen merchandise these business owners must raise the price of their merchandise and pass those losses onto you and I. And if they put claims in through their insurance companies, what happens? The insurance companies have to make up for the monies that they continually have to pay out, and they do so by raising our insurance premiums.

The mob shakes down many business, promising to provide protection for these businesses. Prtoection from who? Protection from the mob, themselves. So many businesses have no choice but to pay these high protection fees to these mobsters, or they run the risk of these same mobsters putting them out of business by burning down thier stores. So how does the local businessman make up the difference in money that he is losing by paying protection money to the mobsters? He raises the cost of his goods that you and I purchase from those stores.

Drugs. One of the biggest money makers in the world is the drug trade. And the mob, like a shark in bloody waters, smells this and jumps right in. They set up these drug deals and help to import illegal drugs right into the country that you live in. Then they set up the local trafficing and distribution in local areas and neighborhoods. And who is affected by these drugs brought into our countries and sold in our neighborhoods? You and I are. Even not being actual users, we still subsidize through our taxes programs to rehabilitate those who use these drugs that are brought in by the mob. The use of drugs also escalates into crimes such as murder and robbery. Our tax dollars go to providing more policeman and law enforcement programs to fight drugs and the crimes they cause. Our neighbors are killed over drugs, robbed over drugs, etc. And all this is because of the mob's greed.

So the next time you are enamored by the story of a Carlo Gambino, a John Gotti, or a Lucky Luciano, and become disillusioned by thinking that these guys are good people because they love their family, and don't bother you, think really long and hard about how they really do affect you, your family and your everyday life.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203477
09/18/05 10:35 AM
09/18/05 10:35 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Very well stated DC.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203478
09/18/05 11:45 AM
09/18/05 11:45 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
There's something of a Robin Hood image of the Mob that makes them appear (to the misinformed) almost noble. As Don Cardi has correctly pointed out they are anything but (noble). They're leeches who suck those around them dry.

They may appear to be interesting because of how they're portrayed on tv and in movies, and its fun to watch those shows, but make no mistake about it - they aren't nice people.

Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203479
09/18/05 12:00 PM
09/18/05 12:00 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

SC to add to what you said I think part of the problem is that in every Mafia movie I've seen everyone who dies "did something"

Godfather- Paulie sets up the Don, Tessio attempts to set up Mike, Carlo turns on Sonny.

Those 3 deaths are "understandable"

What they don't show is the people who are killed simply because the Boss THINKS they might be up to something or the one guy with John Gotti who he had killed not because he did something "wrong" but because he didn't show up when Gotti called.

Or about what I read the other day on this board I believe about the Gallo brothers (could be wrong) being told there was something going on in a restuarant and they went in and killed the people who turned out to be regular businessmen.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203480
09/18/05 03:31 PM
09/18/05 03:31 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
One thought, DC. Why are you so sure that CEO of a bank is a better guy than a mobster? After all, what do we know about his real deeds! Maybe he ruined not less amount of lives, directly or indirectly. And maybe, he didn't even need it for his survival or living.
You sound a bit naiiive...

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203481
09/18/05 04:44 PM
09/18/05 04:44 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yes Don Cardi, it was my post, personally the things I don´t like about the Mafia are Tax Evasion, the killing of innocent people(the killing itself is awful anyway), Drugs dealing.
Even I agree with you, with everything you say I agree, I also agree with some guy here, some people have some kind of Robin Hood.Some of them eh? I am not saying all of them are Robin Hood.

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203482
09/18/05 05:01 PM
09/18/05 05:01 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
That "some guy" you were talking about is SC.
Vague person.
I heard he has somehow an important role on this site. Can't be too important, IMO...

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203483
09/18/05 05:12 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe:
One thought, DC. Why are you so sure that CEO of a bank is a better guy than a mobster? After all, what do we know about his real deeds! Maybe he ruined not less amount of lives, directly or indirectly. And maybe, he didn't even need it for his survival or living.
You sound a bit naiiive...
This is true Just Me, no question. Of course we can talk about any business or politcal position and find illegal activity within those businesses that affect the lives of the average working man or woman. Enron was a perfect example of this.

But there is a difference. ALL CEO"s of banks or corportations are not bad people, ALL politicians are not bad people ( debatable for the GENERAL thread ) but ALL Mobsters ARE bad people.

If your kid came up to you and said, "Dad, when I grow up I want to be President of The United States." You would be proud that your child was setting a goal such as that one up for his or her future.

But if your kid came up to you one day and said " Dad, when I grow up I want to be a Mafia Boss." You would do all that you could to talk him or her out of it.

It's apples and oranges.

Besides : "Senators and Governers don't have people killed."

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203484
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I am sorry Enzo and SC, I read the post quickly and I did not know who was

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203485
09/18/05 05:13 PM
09/18/05 05:13 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
That "some guy" you were talking about is SC.

I heard he has somehow an important role on this site.

Eh. Another Pezzanovante!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203486
09/18/05 05:14 PM
09/18/05 05:14 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[QB]Besides : "Senators and Governers don't have people killed." QB]
Now who's being naïve, DC?

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203487
09/18/05 08:49 PM
09/18/05 08:49 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Mobsters are parasites on society, starting with their own kind--people in their neighborhoods, of their own blood. "Robin Hood"? Yeah, sure. They'd sell their grandmothers' kidneys if they could.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mobsters : Good guys or Bad guys? #203488
09/19/05 02:12 PM
09/19/05 02:12 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:

But there is a difference. ALL CEO"s of banks or corportations are not bad people, ALL politicians are not bad people ( debatable for the GENERAL thread ) but ALL Mobsters ARE bad people.
We may go deeper and ask what's good man. You may never kill anyone, always obey the law, and yet be bad, and hate people, and make the life of others true hell, causing their early decease from natural causes. You may behave very morally and yet poison the air around you.
And you may be even a murderer, but capable of generosity and kindness. Of all that covers multitude of sins.
I think there are no such people - only good or only bad. We are all just people, and have something good and evil inside, all of us, only in different proportions and mixtures, so to say.
And why do you think I would be proud if my kid wishes to be president and kill thousands of innocent people, and children, with his politics, or with his army? Just an example, of course, no disrespect to anyone intended...

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull