GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,535
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22395
03/07/05 01:04 PM
03/07/05 01:04 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

There is an enormous timing error in Godfather Two, which has always troubled me. After Michael reads his statement to the Senate committee, the chairman says that there is a witness who will testify that Michael has lied, and that Michael will be in danger of perjury charges. He then says the committee will be in recess until ten o'clock (presumably the next morning). The next shot is Pentangeli complainting to the FBI agents that they were worse than his bookie because they had said the odds against his testifying wrere long. They then tell him that they have a new suit for him and tell him to get a good night's sleep for his apearance before the committee "tomorrow." The next scene is in Michael's Tahoe home where they figure out that Pentaggeli is still alive, and where Michael has it out with Fredo.

When Pentangeli comes to testify, he sees his brother in the back row of the audience with Michael and Tom, and he then recants on his previous affidavits, thus clearing Michael. The problem with all this is time.

Presuming the committee went in recess, it had to be in the afternoon on the east coast. This would mean that Michael and Tom had to fly back to Tahoe, and then make arrangements for Pentangeli's brother to fly from Sicily to Washington, and get themselves back from Tahoe to Washington for the continuation of the hearings. There are simply not enough hours in the day for this.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22396
03/07/05 11:56 PM
03/07/05 11:56 PM
california
Tom Offline
Capo
Tom  Offline
Capo
california
Good point, it took me while to undertand lol. But is this really a huge mistake? I mean its not like the Sonny punch. tongue

"Well at first like everybody else I, I was a soldier."
Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22397
03/08/05 11:09 AM
03/08/05 11:09 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
this is so tough to understand that doesn't matter lol true, I see your point, but I absolutely don't care about that smile

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22398
03/08/05 01:08 PM
03/08/05 01:08 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
There's a possible explanation:
In the script that you can access on JG's website, the committee chairman says, "this committee will be in recess until 10 a.m." But in the film, he says, "This committee will be in recess until 10 a.m. Monday morning" [emphasis added]. If, say, the chairman was speaking on a Monday or a Tuesday, that'd give Michael six or seven days to fly back to Tahoe, arrange the meeting with Fredo, order Vincenzo to fly in from Sicily, and get back to Washington.

Yes, the scene with the FBI guy telling Frankie that he will appear before the committee "tomorrow" does fall before the scene where Michael's back in Tahoe learning that Frankie's alive. That seeming mistake could be explained if the Frankie scene was out of sequence, deliberately, as were so many of GFII's scenes.

But, dontomasso, your point is well taken. Even if it were possible for Michael to do all that back-and-forth traveling, why would he? Why wouldn't he stay in Washington and hold his meetings, make his arrangements, from there? My guess is that FFC wanted more drama. The next thing we see after Frankie throws down his pool cue is a very dramatic scene: Michael, in a choked voice, hissing, "Alive...Frank Pentangeli is alive." Adding greatly to the drama is the dark color and backdrop of the rough stone wall of the Tahoe boathouse. Since only the wall is shown at first as Michael says, "Alive...." it suggests a prison, which was what Michael faced at that point. FFC couldn't have put that together in a hotel room.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22399
03/08/05 02:54 PM
03/08/05 02:54 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by dontomasso:
...Presuming the committee went in recess, it had to be in the afternoon on the east coast. This would mean that Michael and Tom had to fly back to Tahoe, and then make arrangements for Pentangeli's brother to fly from Sicily to Washington, and get themselves back from Tahoe to Washington for the continuation of the hearings. There are simply not enough hours in the day for this.
FFC...give back those Oscars!!!!

rolleyes

I think the far huger mistake is in hanging onto every word of the dialogue in such a fashion.

Let the movie tell the story. Don't split hairs.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22400
03/08/05 03:00 PM
03/08/05 03:00 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Hey...a continuity issue is hardly splitting hairs. I didnt complain about the Florida inspection stickers on the cars did I? And speaking of splitting hairs, what is that political message doing on your post?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22401
03/08/05 03:21 PM
03/08/05 03:21 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
On a 31 year old film that is already considered a classic...yes, it is splitting hairs.

That you even NOTICED something regarding the Florida inspection stickers is additional sad commentary.

The 'political' footnote is back from last year's presidential race. Actually, I've been meaning to delete but haven't been able to think of anything interesting enough to replace it with.

Why don't you come up with another 'mistake' in the dialogue and maybe that'll serve as inspiration.

lol

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22402
03/09/05 01:43 AM
03/09/05 01:43 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Finding out that mistake is reflective of how much of a fan(atic!) he is of GF. Hey, no one found it out in 31 years, that by itself means something. There are far more trivial stuff like some drink glass being full or empty that people have pointed out in various websites. Good one Dontomasso cool

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22403
03/09/05 01:18 PM
03/09/05 01:18 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Grazie Pentangeli Fan!!

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22404
03/09/05 02:06 PM
03/09/05 02:06 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Hey...a continuity issue is hardly splitting hairs. I didnt complain about the Florida inspection stickers on the cars did I? And speaking of splitting hairs, what is that political message doing on your post?
lol I got a real chuckle out of seeing what dontommasso did for a living.

a Lawyer!

Watch it Apple, if anyone can split hairs it is a lawyer! lol

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22405
03/09/05 03:13 PM
03/09/05 03:13 PM
Scotland
Debz Offline
Underboss
Debz  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Speaking of mistakes....I found these on a web-site...

Factual error: At the New Year's party, when everybody is running out from the goverment's palace, you see the flags at the entrance are from Cuba, but the coat of arms is from Dominican Republic (the country where this scene was filmed).

Revealing: When they are questioning the senator about the dead prostitute you can clearly see the corpse breathe when he sits next to it.

Factual error: When Michael arrives at Hyman Roth's house you can see the 1974 State of Florida green inspection sticker on Michael's car. The movie's supposed to be in the late 50's.

Other: Shortly after assassins try to kill Michael at his home, he meets privately with Tom Hagen. As Tom enters the room, the table is empty. Then, after they are talking for a few moments, Michael offers Tom a drink from a bottle of wine that has magically appeared.

Continuity: In the Senate delegtion hearings, Michael made his speech saying he was awarded the Navy Cross. When you see Michael in uniform in Godfather I, he is wearing a Silver Star ribbon.

Continuity: In the scene where Michael tries to explain to Tom why he has to keep things secret from him, Tom is wearing different pyjamas under his bathrobe in alternating shots.

Plot hole: During Godfather I, when Michael was plotting the assassinations of the 5 family heads, he mentions to his father that his son Anthony is thee years old, and 'reading the funny papers.' In Godfather II, we begin at Anthony's first comunnion, and the date given is 1958. Yet, later at the party, Kay mentions to Michael that 7 years ago he promised the family would be completely legitimate. This was before they married and Anthony was born. (This promise was part of Michael's proposal to Kay.) 7 years ago would be 1951, so how could Anthony be 3 years old then?

Continuity: When Michael and Fredo sit on a restaurant terrace in Havana there's a lady sitting at a table behind Fredo who switches seats back and forth.

Click here for more mistakes from the same site. (I don't know if there are all true I foung them on the website)

[Debz]
Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22406
03/09/05 03:23 PM
03/09/05 03:23 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by svsg:
... no one found it out in 31 years, that by itself means something...
I'll say it does!!

But of course as fathersson so kindly pointed out...I suppose one can expect this king of HAIRSPLITTING from a lawyer (which I didn't know previously since I don't make a habit of checking the profiles of fellow boardmates).

Fear not, folks...dontomassino e-mailed me privately that he's only just now getting warmed up (or something like that). So we might have lots more 30+ year old previously undiscovered HUGE mistakes to learn about!!

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22407
03/09/05 03:44 PM
03/09/05 03:44 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Apple in her ill disguised effort to discredit my observation, now seeks to bash my profession --a consigliere. I dunno, but I would rather be Tom Hagen than some dumb broad who cant say the days of the week in English and who gets blown up because she is trying to impress her husband with her driving.

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22408
03/09/05 04:06 PM
03/09/05 04:06 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well, there was one mistake in GFII that could have been helpful to Michael if Frankie hadn't clammed up after seeing his brother:
The Senator asked him if he was responsible for "the murder of the heads of the Five Families in 1950." As we know from GF, those murders occured in '55. So, Michael really didn't commit perjury when he denied the charge. lol

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22409
03/09/05 04:10 PM
03/09/05 04:10 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Turnbull, you're a good man.

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22410
03/09/05 04:24 PM
03/09/05 04:24 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by Turnbull:
The Senator asked him if he was responsible for "the murder of the heads of the Five Families in 1950." As we know from GF, those murders occured in '55. So, Michael really didn't commit perjury when he denied the charge.
Mike was asked if he "DEVISED" the murders in 1950, and that may have been true (talk about splitting hairs).

What bothers me more, though, is the turn that this thread has taken with all the little snide comments. We're not going to have a repeat of all those long ago "scar" threads, right?

Right?

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22411
03/09/05 10:20 PM
03/09/05 10:20 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Originally posted by svsg:
[b] ... no one found it out in 31 years, that by itself means something...
I'll say it does!!

But of course as fathersson so kindly pointed out...I suppose one can expect this king of HAIRSPLITTING from a lawyer (which I didn't know previously since I don't make a habit of checking the profiles of fellow boardmates).

Fear not, folks...dontomassino e-mailed me privately that he's only just now getting warmed up (or something like that). So we might have lots more 30+ year old previously undiscovered HUGE mistakes to learn about!!

Apple [/b]
Maybe you could avoid the high hourly charges of a law firm and pull the mistakes off the websites. wink

So far I haven't seen anything new, that I haven't seen posted on movie boards, or other websites. I guess others have checked the 30 year old film to death over the years.

By the way. You BROADS should learn your place in life. lol

"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22412
03/10/05 10:08 AM
03/10/05 10:08 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by fathersson:
[QUOTE].... You BROADS should learn your place in life. lol
Hey, watchit, fathersson!!!

Snide comments like that could rehash some of those long ago 'scar' threads, and we don't want that right?

Right?

wink

AppleOnYa

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22413
03/10/05 12:00 PM
03/10/05 12:00 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
How many billed hours do you think I could get away with while I screen the films?

Maybe I could put them under case research.

(in my best Jimmy Cagney vice)

OK, You "Dames" better learn your place, you hear. Or someone is going to be sorry. wink

I'l have to pull my "heater" and take you for a one way ride to the country, or maybe a swim in some cement shoe, see. lol

You aren't playin with some two bit lawyer here, you hear..... I aint no band leader either... lol

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22414
03/10/05 04:03 PM
03/10/05 04:03 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Apple obviously thought I was just some two bit hustler Johnny ran in to muscle her, then she checked me out and tried to muscle me. Then comes more postings and she starts complaining about the term "broads" and talking about "scar threads," because those comments made her look ridiculous, and a woman in her position cannot afford to look ridiculous!

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22415
03/10/05 04:43 PM
03/10/05 04:43 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
If I were you, I wouldn't eat any cannoli. Even if it is your birthday.

In fact, I wouldn't eat any apples either! lol

and to tell the truth, if you and Apple were in the ring together, my money would be on Apple! grin

Just look what she did to Adam in the Garden of Eden.. lol

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22416
03/10/05 06:05 PM
03/10/05 06:05 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

AHA! So thats why I got these opera tickets in a brown envelope.

As for the results of a boxing match, I would have to ask Don King before I placed a wager.

In any case the fruit of choice in here should be oranges.

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22417
03/10/05 06:13 PM
03/10/05 06:13 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
How many billed hours do you think I could get away with while I screen the films?...
PLEASE !!!!

DON'T mention 'billed hours' on this board...I come here to get a few minutes away from 'billed hours'!

But regarding your gambling habits...any money you place in 'the ring' will be well spent. Whether or not you need to place a bet though, will not be my decision.

Here, puppy...

lol

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22418
03/10/05 06:18 PM
03/10/05 06:18 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
And speaking of splitting hairs, what is that political message doing on your post?
Dontomasso,

With all due respect, we are all entitled to choose the content of our signatures, as long as, in my opinion, the content of the signature does not contain offensive vulgar language or pokes fun at another member. Now getting back to the issues at hand, I find nothing wrong with your finding these inconsistencies in the film. Heck there is even a list on the GF site that lists mistakes in the movie. While I wouldn't say that it detracts from how great the movie itself really is, I find it fun to seek out mistakes of continuity in movies. For the most part though, FFC had an eye for detail in many scenes. Take for instance when the Don gets shot, look at the boxing poster in the background which is in line with the timeline itself. There are many instances where FFC made sure to keep a keen eye on the detail. But all in all, if you watch ANY movie enough times, you are bound to find a mistake of some kind! It's all in fun.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22419
03/10/05 07:44 PM
03/10/05 07:44 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline
Capo
Don Vanchenzo  Offline
Capo
Southeast USA
There is an enormous timing error in Godfather Two, which has always troubled me. After Michael reads his statement to the Senate committee, the chairman says that there is a witness who will testify that Michael has lied, and that Michael will be in danger of perjury charges. He then says the committee will be in recess until ten o'clock (presumably the next morning). The next shot is Pentangeli complainting to the FBI agents that they were worse than his bookie because they had said the odds against his testifying wrere long. They then tell him that they have a new suit for him and tell him to get a good night's sleep for his apearance before the committee "tomorrow." The next scene is in Michael's Tahoe home where they figure out that Pentaggeli is still alive, and where Michael has it out with Fredo.

When Pentangeli comes to testify, he sees his brother in the back row of the audience with Michael and Tom, and he then recants on his previous affidavits, thus clearing Michael. The problem with all this is time.

Presuming the committee went in recess, it had to be in the afternoon on the east coast. This would mean that Michael and Tom had to fly back to Tahoe, and then make arrangements for Pentangeli's brother to fly from Sicily to Washington, and get themselves back from Tahoe to Washington for the continuation of the hearings. There are simply not enough hours in the day for this.
I've watched the Epic and the adjournment is until Monday morning. That having been said, someone was one hell of a fast worker to get Frankie's brother there.

I've visited this board for 3+ years and this was the most original post I've seen. Io te un grazo!

orange

"The Godfather was a man to whom everybody came for help and never were they disappointed. He made no empty promises, nor the craven excuse that his hands were tied by more powerful forces in the world than himself. It was not necessary that he be your friend, it was not even important that you had no means with which to repay him. Only one thing was required. That you, yourself, proclaim your friendship. And then, no matter how poor or powerless the supplicant, the Godfather would take that person's troubles to his heart. He would let nothing stand in the way to a solution of that person's woe. His reward? Friendship, the respectful title 'Don' and sometimes the more affectionate salutation of 'Godfather.' Perhaps, to show respect only, never for profit, some humble gift - a gallon or homemade wine or a basket of fresh baked goods on a holiday. It was understood to proclaim that you were in his debt and that he had the right to call upon you at any time to redeem the debt by some small service." -- Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969).
Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22420
03/10/05 07:46 PM
03/10/05 07:46 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline
Capo
Don Vanchenzo  Offline
Capo
Southeast USA
[b] [QUOTE].... You BROADS should learn your place in life. lol
Hey, watchit, fathersson!!!

Snide comments like that could rehash some of those long ago 'scar' threads, and we don't want that right?

Right?

wink

AppleOnYa [/b]
BTW, I've learned that my friend Apple will not let a slam like the term "Broads" or "Dames" go. This woman is as sharp a leader on this board as there it. Don't mess with her boys! orange

"The Godfather was a man to whom everybody came for help and never were they disappointed. He made no empty promises, nor the craven excuse that his hands were tied by more powerful forces in the world than himself. It was not necessary that he be your friend, it was not even important that you had no means with which to repay him. Only one thing was required. That you, yourself, proclaim your friendship. And then, no matter how poor or powerless the supplicant, the Godfather would take that person's troubles to his heart. He would let nothing stand in the way to a solution of that person's woe. His reward? Friendship, the respectful title 'Don' and sometimes the more affectionate salutation of 'Godfather.' Perhaps, to show respect only, never for profit, some humble gift - a gallon or homemade wine or a basket of fresh baked goods on a holiday. It was understood to proclaim that you were in his debt and that he had the right to call upon you at any time to redeem the debt by some small service." -- Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969).
Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22421
03/10/05 10:41 PM
03/10/05 10:41 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss

But regarding your gambling habits...any money you place in 'the ring' will be well spent. Whether or not you need to place a bet though, will not be my decision.

Here, puppy...

lol

Apple
Pop said he is sending a carton of newspapers. ASAP lol

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22422
03/11/05 12:34 PM
03/11/05 12:34 PM
Peter_Clemenza Offline
Underboss
Peter_Clemenza  Offline
Underboss
Did Michael Corleone arrange for Frank Pentangeli's brother to travel to Washington, as a warning that he would be murdered if Frank Pentangeli testified against the Corleone family?

Re: HUGE MISTAKE IN GF II #22423
03/11/05 02:15 PM
03/11/05 02:15 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Don Vanchenzo:

I've visited this board for 3+ years and this was the most original post I've seen. Io te un grazo!

Don Vanchenzo, I am honored to be the recipient of such a compliment by a serious man like you.
You have my great respect, and a standing invitation to have a cup of coffee.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull