GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (mobcleve, 1 invisible), 344 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,993
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,139
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Peoria,Illinois-The Sheltons #201437
01/13/05 01:36 AM
01/13/05 01:36 AM
all over
scarface_denver Offline OP
Capo
scarface_denver  Offline OP
Capo
all over
OK, those that have known me for the past few years know that I have been doing some research all over , be here it comes right from my home, this is going to be posted in a few parts cause I am still finding out about The Sheltons just about everyday. First off there is a new book written about them called Brothers Notorious-THE SHELTONS- by Taylor Pensoneau.
Just to let ya know over the years I have asked about peoria and everyone said to find out about the Shelton Brothers, well I was never able to find squat...Until this book was written, now I am finding all kinds of old timers that know things.Oh yeah remeber the last post about me sayin something about drunkin posts that I used to do , well Im sure most of these will be also. this post wont give ya much since I am getting ready to goto to the bar they used to hang out at here in a few minutes its called THE DORMITORY now but it used to be called the PARKSIDE INN(I have driven by it a million times and never knew)so anyways Ill be letting all ya know about my research on The Sheltons as soon as I get the info. for alittle info on them to start they are not italians just farmers from southern illinois that got caught up in the rackets"gangsters,mobsters and such.not LCN or any thing like that, although they had RESPECT from chicago".so any ways I am waiting for my roommate to get hoe so she can drive cause like I said Im a little loaded right now,,,lol....Ill be beack to give ya all the lowdown alittle later if not tomarrow........oh yeah , if anyone has info on the Sheltons please get back to me on it...

tuaca on the house
Re: Peoria,Illinois-The Sheltons #201438
01/13/05 01:50 AM
01/13/05 01:50 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by scarface_denver:
this post wont give ya much since I am getting ready to goto to the bar they used to hang out at here in a few minutes its called THE DORMITORY now
I used to get drunk in most of the dormitories of Bradley U back in the late 60's/early 70's. Does that count??

Re: Peoria,Illinois-The Sheltons #201439
01/13/05 02:14 AM
01/13/05 02:14 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by scarface_denver:
oh yeah , if anyone has info on the Sheltons please get back to me on it...
I was a freshman at Bradley, and I remember when some of us guys from the dorm were first getting to know each other. The subject of gangsters came up and I was telling one of the guys (from Pekin) about a new book I had just finished before starting college... "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo. He countered with a story about his uncle telling him about one of the Sheltons getting shot dead in (or near) Bradley Park.

Strange, but I haven't thought about that story for over 35 years until I just read your post. Unfortunately I don't remember any of the details other than it happened 20 years before he told me the story. (He told me that the Sheltons kicked Capone's mob out of Peoria).

Re: Peoria,Illinois-The Sheltons #201440
01/13/05 03:31 AM
01/13/05 03:31 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
There's not a lot to do in Southern Illinois. Stories about the coal mines and "the mafia" were part of local history in Little Egypt when I was a student at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. And I know what direction to point you for an answer!

Peoria is too far north for this story to begin. You have to look farther south, to the heart of Southern Illinois, and the tiny town of Herrin in Williamson County. And the names you're looking for are Charlie Birger and Glen Young. They were involved in a war with the Sheltons for control of bootlegging in St. Louis and East St. Louis. I also recall Birger or Young being involved in the Ku Klux Klan in Southern Illinois. They were approached by mobsters in Peoria about forming an alliance to control the rackets in that town. Here's a web site that I found with some details.

http://www.thezephyr.com/monson/sheltons.htm

In addition to the book about the Sheltons titled Brothers Notorious, I also recommend another book titled Bloody Williamson by Paul Angle for an accurate history of organized crime in Downstate Illinois.

So when you get off the Par-a-Dice riverboat, and you're done stuffin' dollar bills into g-strings at Big Al's, get a copy of these books and start reading.

What are ya doing in Peoria when you're not drinking?

tony b.

(Edited a couple of times to clarify some duplicate information that I didn't initially decipher from your first post.)

P.S. A google for a combination of keywords like "shelton," "illinois," and "organized crime" delivers results.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull