GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lou_Para), 260 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,689
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How To Get Into The Mob #201423
01/12/05 07:47 AM
01/12/05 07:47 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
This week's New York Magazine has a really interesting article about the rise and fall of Peter Gotti, and the current state of affairs of the New York families.

The most interesting part, though, was one of those little "side Boxes", written by noted mob historian Jerry Capeci, about the "rules and procedures that govern the induction of new members".

I don't know how much of this is accurate, but almost all of it is new to me......

Quote:

-- New members can be "made" only as replacements for mobsters who have died, although each family is allowed to add two new members at Christmastime.

-- Names of proposed members, and the deceased members they replace, must be circulated to the other families, who have two weeks to lodge an objection-for example, the candidate is an informer or the candidate is an associate of another family.

-- Families may not replace a defector who cooperates with the government, until he dies.

-- Families may never relace a member the family has killed.

-- Both parents of an inductee must be of Italian heritage, s change in previous poliy requiring that only the father's lineage be Italian.

There are exceptions to every rule, however, especially with a career criminal devoted to beating any system, including the one he vows to live by.

"Sometimes", former Bonanno underboss Salvatore Vitale told the FBI, "I would make up names of dead guys so we could induct more members than the rules allow,", adding that on at least one occasion, he got names "out of the phone book"

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201424
01/12/05 08:01 AM
01/12/05 08:01 AM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
i remember reading something about that and i know the second one is true, because john gotti called his son an idiot for keeping one of those lists. the italian heritage one im pretty sure is true too, as for the rest i dont know.

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"
Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201425
01/12/05 02:35 PM
01/12/05 02:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I dunno. Everyone (including journalists and us here) is fascinated by Mafia "rules and regulations." I kept reading about new "rules" that went in after the Donnie Brasco affair. But, as a practical matter, the only rule that governs the Mob is greed, and survival of the fittest. Can you imagine that a Mob bigshot who wants to make a relative or favorite associate going along with a veto from another family?

In "Goodfellas," Paulie goes along with a demand from the Gambinos that he whack those responsible for Billy Batts' murder--a clear violation of the Mob "rule" against raising a hand against a made man. As a practical matter, Paulie was happy to get rid of Tommy, who he regarded as a "cowboy with too much to prove." He didn't punish Jimmy and Henry, even though he knew they were involved: they were good earners.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201426
01/13/05 02:40 AM
01/13/05 02:40 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Before I saw that this thread was started by Plaw, my first though was that it was another one of those guys who pulls a brief stint at the BB looking to get a job as a wiseguy. You know the type, "How do I get into the mafia?" or the recruiters are even better: "I'm starting my own family and I need soldiers."

To Plaw's and TB's credit, though, as soon as I saw you guys' names next to the title of the thread, I knew it had to be something else. (More TB... I wasn't totally sure just on account of Plaw on his own. )

Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201427
01/13/05 01:41 PM
01/13/05 01:41 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
By the way.
Winegardner in GFR writes that when Geraci was "made", "At the ceremony his finger was cut by Vito himself". I heard that Japanese Mafia has tradition to cut fingers, but who knows anything about such things in Sicilian Mafia? Turnbull, you positively must have information!

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201428
01/13/05 10:03 PM
01/13/05 10:03 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
I personally have a hard time believeing the ceremonies and rules stuff. It paints a pretty picture, but some of them make my laugh. As if these guys have nothing better to do but make sure other guys follow rules. :rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing Plaw

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201429
01/13/05 10:09 PM
01/13/05 10:09 PM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe:
By the way.
Winegardner in GFR writes that when Geraci was "made", "At the ceremony his finger was cut by Vito himself". I heard that Japanese Mafia has tradition to cut fingers, but who knows anything about such things in Sicilian Mafia? Turnbull, you positively must have information!
i read in the book GOTTI:RISE & FALL that when the bull was inducted they pricked his finger and dripped the blood over a card of a saint, which theyd burn signifyin that your soul would burn like the saint on the card if you turn on the family.

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"
Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201430
01/13/05 10:25 PM
01/13/05 10:25 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
By the way.
Actually years ago part of the initiation ceremony of being made was that you slit your finger and your "sponser" slit his and then the both of you touched fingers, mixing the blood, hence becoming "one" in the mob, bloodbrothers, This was known as taking " The blood oath!" One of the steps in your initiation into the family.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201431
01/13/05 11:01 PM
01/13/05 11:01 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[QUOTE]Actually years ago part of the initiation ceremony of being made was that you slit your finger and your "sponser" slit his and then the both of you touched fingers, mixing the blood, hence becoming "one" in the mob, bloodbrothers, This was known as taking " The blood oath!" One of the steps in your initiation into the family.

Don Cardi
They stopped doing this since the advent of AIDS and herpes. Now, before the finger-slitting, both the inductee and the sponsor must submit proof that they've been using condums for at least seven years.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201432
01/13/05 11:28 PM
01/13/05 11:28 PM
RizzoInTheBox Offline
Made Member
RizzoInTheBox  Offline
Made Member
Quote:
By the way.
The Japanese Yakuza have been known to cut off fingers of people that screw up a job or something. However, I don't think they do it when they are initiated into the gang.

Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201433
01/14/05 06:57 AM
01/14/05 06:57 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
[They stopped doing this since the advent of AIDS and herpes. Now, before the finger-slitting, both the inductee and the sponsor must submit proof that they've been using condums for at least seven years.
Actually TB, it is rumored that this step in the initiation was omitted due to the advent of aids! Seriously!

But in regards to your statement that they had to submit proof that they had been using condoms for at least seven years, that is surprising, I figured that it would be automatic being that they were already considered scumbags!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201434
01/16/05 01:01 AM
01/16/05 01:01 AM
Providence, Rhode Island
DonGenco Offline
Button
DonGenco  Offline
Button
Providence, Rhode Island
I am sure that most traditions in the mafia were well played out back in the day' but, as every tradition does, I am sure that some have faded away. Don't get me wrong, I believe that some families still enact on some of the old traditions but nowadays, most Dons are much more interested in making money then the old mustache petes were.

"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string. Senator Corleone; Governor Corleone."
-Don Vito Corleone to his son, Michael
Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201435
01/22/05 05:45 PM
01/22/05 05:45 PM
Ireland
Pax Soprana Offline
Button
Pax Soprana  Offline
Button
Ireland
Giovanni Brusca said that the initiates blood was smeared on the image of a saint which was then burnt as Brusca took the oath.

Quote:
Originally posted by DonGenco:
nowadays, most Dons are much more interested in making money then the old mustache petes were.
Wasnt that just a myth? The whole bit about the new guys under Luciano killing off all the old mafiosi because they were standing in the way of making more money. I think both generations had the same interest and this was just a myth made up after the Castallemerese war and applied again to the "first" mafia war in Sicily.

"I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hand, alright?"
Re: How To Get Into The Mob #201436
01/22/05 06:58 PM
01/22/05 06:58 PM
Providence, Rhode Island
DonGenco Offline
Button
DonGenco  Offline
Button
Providence, Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by Pax Soprana:
Giovanni Brusca said that the initiates blood was smeared on the image of a saint which was then burnt as Brusca took the oath.

[quote]Originally posted by DonGenco:
[b] nowadays, most Dons are much more interested in making money then the old mustache petes were.
Wasnt that just a myth? The whole bit about the new guys under Luciano killing off all the old mafiosi because they were standing in the way of making more money. I think both generations had the same interest and this was just a myth made up after the Castallemerese war and applied again to the "first" mafia war in Sicily. [/b][/quote]Well the old guys were still interested in making money, but, they were killed off for a reason, they liked where they were and they didn't see much reason to expand. It was people like Luciano and Costello that worked extra hard to expand the empire all over and force their hands in every pie, but to do that, their bosses had to be killed. And it was with the end of the Castellamarese War that the new had replaced the old, and the Mafia became an empire crossing from coast to coast of American soil.

P.S.-Don Cardi, Congratulations on your 2000th post!

"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string. Senator Corleone; Governor Corleone."
-Don Vito Corleone to his son, Michael

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull