GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 51 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,680
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Little Italy next to Chinatown #200805
08/24/04 12:14 AM
08/24/04 12:14 AM
Signore Sole Aumentante Offline OP
Capo
Signore Sole Aumentante  Offline OP
Capo
I might have talked about this before. If so, I forgot.

I heard that Little Italy is next to Chinatown in New York. Literally across the street. I'm guessing then that the Mob is on one side of the street and perhaps Triads on the other. Anyone ever heard of any scruffles between the two? Maybe there are no Chinese gangs there, but I doubt it, and it seems to small an area for Cosa Nostra and Chinese gangs.

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: Little Italy next to Chinatown #200806
08/24/04 06:55 AM
08/24/04 06:55 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
They're more than just next to each other, they're basically comingled now, with the Chinatown portion increasing, and Little Italy shrinking.

For years the traditional dividing line was Canal Street, a wide shopping street that runs East-West. The Chinese were below, The Italians above.

But for at least the last 20 years or so, The Chinese have been moving across Canal Street, and buying up real estate like crazy, ostensibly with money from people fleeing Hong Kong.

Now there are Chinese businesses side by side with the Italian restaurants, which is really all that's left of "Little Italy". A few blocks with restaurants and souvenir shops side by side.

I don't know about any gang warfare, though. I think that the Chinese gangs pretty much prey on their own people and leave the Italians alone. I doubt if they're going into the Italian restaurants and shaking down the owners for protection money.

For a decent treatment (altho not an extensive one) of the Italian-Chinese organized crime connection, see Michael Cimino's "Year Of The Dragon" with Mickey Rourke.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Little Italy next to Chinatown #200807
08/24/04 12:03 PM
08/24/04 12:03 PM
Sicily, NYC
Santino Felice Offline
Made Member
Santino Felice  Offline
Made Member
Sicily, NYC
I live in NYC, when you go to LIttle Italy you see all these chinese walking around taking our old neighborhood. My grandfather would be furious. BUt hey I dont discriminate bu ti still think Little Italy should be Little Italy. Little Italy in the Bronx is also overun more by albanians than anyone. Things change what can you do but people don't really both the italians like that the albanians the chinese fight each other

"Well you just do what I tell you to do! Goddamn it! If I had a wartime consiglieri -- a
Sicilian -- I wouldn't be in this shape! Pop had Genco -- look what I got." - Sonny Corleone
Re: Little Italy next to Chinatown #200808
08/24/04 12:47 PM
08/24/04 12:47 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
As plawrence pointed out, the two (Little Italy and Chinatown) are virtually the same now. Little Italy hardly exists anymore, and its been shrinking since the 60's.

When "The Godfather" was filmed (in 1971) Little Italy was the backdrop for a few scenes, including the one in which Vito was gunned down. Here's a picture (below) of the current location of the building which housed Genco Pura Olive Oil headquarters (and in front of which Vito was shot). As you can see, its a Chinese storefront now:

Re: Little Italy next to Chinatown #200809
08/24/04 04:55 PM
08/24/04 04:55 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
So then...what proximity is the area where the San Genaro Feast is held? Would it be that same 'L' blocks where Ferrara's and Columbo's is?

(Bear with me...I haven't been there in quite a while).

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Little Italy next to Chinatown #200810
08/24/04 05:03 PM
08/24/04 05:03 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I'm not sure of the exact location, but the feast is not in what would be considered Little Italy.

I seem to recall it being held around Sullivan, Thompson, or McDougal Streets, just south of Houston St.

That would be several blocks north of Canal St, and several blocks west of Little Italy proper.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Little Italy next to Chinatown #200811
08/24/04 05:57 PM
08/24/04 05:57 PM
Signore Sole Aumentante Offline OP
Capo
Signore Sole Aumentante  Offline OP
Capo
I understand that Litte Italy used to be basically the hot spot for Mob activity in New York. I think I remember my relatives talking back a long time ago about how the Italian districts of New York, namely Little Italy were beginning to shrink and should be left alone and even defended. I lot of Italian-Americans all across the country now have heritage stemming from Little Italy after they made their way in from Ellis Island. Maybe the Italians should take the erea back. That is disconserting that the famous Genco building is now a Chinese store. That place deserves to be preserved as Italian.

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: Little Italy next to Chinatown #200812
08/24/04 09:57 PM
08/24/04 09:57 PM
new york
Geovanni-Martino Offline
Button
Geovanni-Martino  Offline
Button
new york
I feel ashamed that the Italian community in New York do not help keep Little Italy italian, but theres more than 1 little italy in New York, theres several all over the place, so maybe the italian people in that certain area felt to move, while the chinese did not want to, so they took over what the Italians left behind. Its Darwins theory at work people..

"what have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully?"
Re: Little Italy next to Chinatown #200813
08/25/04 08:29 AM
08/25/04 08:29 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
In other words....MONEY talks !!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Little Italy next to Chinatown #200814
08/25/04 09:50 AM
08/25/04 09:50 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The Feast's main activities are centered on Grand Street on either side of Mulberry Street (from Mott to Baxter), and on Hester Street (from Mott to Baxter).

Re: Little Italy next to Chinatown #200815
09/08/04 12:48 AM
09/08/04 12:48 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Geovanni-Martino:
I feel ashamed that the Italian community in New York do not help keep Little Italy italian, but theres more than 1 little italy in New York, theres several all over the place, so maybe the italian people in that certain area felt to move, while the chinese did not want to, so they took over what the Italians left behind. Its Darwins theory at work people..
Actually, Italian-Americans tend to be far more stable in neighborhoods than most other American ethnics. But Little Italy is one of New York's most ancient neighborhoods. What's left of Little Italy's population is aging rapidly, and the younger people want to move to the 'burbs, just like everyone else. Meanwhile, immigration from Asia far outstrips immigration from Italy, so Asians are taking over the perimeters of what used to be Little Italy. This is happening in other NYC neighborhoods, too, such as Sunset Park in Brooklyn, and Elmhurst and Woodside in Queens.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull