GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 266 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,888
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,326
Posts1,058,648
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How do you define a Mafia Family? #197570
06/08/03 07:15 PM
06/08/03 07:15 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline OP
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline OP

Gateshead, UK
Is it that they follow the certain rules of omertá? Or that they were originally the basis on which the crime underworld was formed? Same question, really, but: how can Capone's crew not be considered as Mafian (is that a term?)? Did the frightened-of-needles kingpin actually declare he wasn't a Mafia Family?

Thanks in advance,
Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: How do you define a Mafia Family? #197571
06/08/03 08:28 PM
06/08/03 08:28 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Interesting question, Mick. If you're referring to American Mafia families:
Prior to Prohibition, organized crime in America was small-time and local. Every city had a "red light district" where "vice" (prostitution, gambling, drugs, illicit booze since many communities were officially "dry" before Prohibition) flourished. In ethnic neighborhoods (especially Chinese, Irish, Jewish and Italian), crimes of extortion flourished. In Italian neighborhoods, the racketeers were most often Sicilian or Neapolitan, since that's where most Italian immigrants to the US came from. The Sicilians were always better organized because they were more clannish than the Neapolitians. But they were essentially small-time. They didn't really call themselves "Mafia" officially. Rather, they saw themselves as "men of honor," or "men of a tradition," as they thought of themselves in Sicily. Omerta was part of their tradition.
Jewish gangs (and to a lesser extent, Irish gangs) dominated the Prohibition rackets in nearly all American cities except Chicago. There, the Torrio-Capone "Outfit" was the biggest (but not the only) gang. Even though most members of the Capone gang were Italian, he never considered it a "Mafia family," and many non-Italians held high places in his mob. As I mentioned many times before: there was a Mafia in Chicago called the "Unione Siciliano" that was like a civic association with muscle. Capone respected the Unione, but the two never competed.
To get to the point (and I'm certain you wish I would ): Following the Castellemmarese War of 1930-31, Charlie Luciano coalesced the US Italian mobs around a clearly defined set of families and a family structure that had been established just a few months earlier by Salvatore Maranzano, who was assassinated on Luciano's orders. Luciano didn't publish a set of "rules" or "behaviors" for Mafia families. They didn't send away to Sicily for charter certificates in "the Mafia." Nor did they even call themselves "Mafia" officially (newspapers did that). Rather, Luciano and his colleagues agreed that competition was bad for the organized crime business, so they worked to establish monopolies on rackets in cities or neighborhoods. They also decided that it would be best to restict membership to Italians (most were all-Italian anyway), because they were most comfortable with each other; although, following Luciano's example, they drew liberally on non-Italians for advice and help.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How do you define a Mafia Family? #197572
06/09/03 05:08 AM
06/09/03 05:08 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I thanked in advance, but once again I am astounded by the fountain of all Mafia-related knowledge! Thanks Turnbull. That cleared everything up and more!

Mick

Re: How do you define a Mafia Family? #197573
06/09/03 06:18 AM
06/09/03 06:18 AM
Willie Cicci Offline
Button
Willie Cicci  Offline
Button
The family system is officially sanctioned. There is one Mafia family in each major city in America; except for New York, which has five families. The New York families are the most powerful.

Capone wasn't mafiosi - his group was called the "outfit".

Re: How do you define a Mafia Family? #197574
06/09/03 11:36 AM
06/09/03 11:36 AM
Surrey. England. In a house.
Researcher Offline
Capo
Researcher  Offline
Capo
Surrey. England. In a house.
Pretty interesting, my compliments, Turbull. It was also a very good question, one I had been meaning to ask!
So technically, if you look at it like that, no one is really mafia except the old Sicilian mafia, which went under that name. It seems as though they're all just "Italian criminals" these days.
Was there only one family in each city (with exception of New York)? No more, no small time mafia? Did they allow competition then?
Sorry guys I'm plaguing this beautiful post with my swarm-like questions!

Re: How do you define a Mafia Family? #197575
06/10/03 06:49 AM
06/10/03 06:49 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Researcher, the question in the subject has now been answered, so feel free to post other questions.

Mick

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull