GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (JGil916), 175 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,980
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,091
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Couple of questions.... #21736
02/11/05 12:58 PM
02/11/05 12:58 PM
Michigan
Lollie Offline OP
Made Member
Lollie  Offline OP
Made Member
Michigan
1. Is Corleone a real place in Sicily? (Or Italy?)

2. In GF1, it doesn't show much about the relationship between Michael and Fabrizio, yet many on this board talk about Michael's great love for Fabrizio and his sorrow at Fabrizio's death. Is this angle shown more in the book or in GFIII? (I've only seen GFIII 3-4 times.)

3. Was Brando Italian?

4. There is a lot of talk about Al Neri here. But, I haven't seen too much of him, unless I'm missing him in all the right places! Who was he and why does he seem so central? Would Al Neri be the guy sitting at the table eating Chinese food with Clemenza, Tessio, Michael, Sonny, & Tom when they were waiting to hear where the meeting was going to be between Michael and Sollozzo? If it was not Neri, who was that guy?

5. What was the birth order of Vito's children?

6. Sonny mentions a guy by the name of "Genco" to Tom in an argument they were having about Sonny's war. I thought Genco was someone who Vito went into business with regarding the importing of olive oil from Italy. Was Genco also a lawyer? Which one was he in GFII?

7. When these guys "went to the mattresses" did they live 24/7 with each other until things cooled off or what was the living arrangements? What happened to their wives and children when they went to the mattresses?

8. How many "families" are there in reality? Was there someone very like Corleone that Puzo had in mind when he wrote the book?

Thanks for your help!

~~ Lollie

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: Couple of questions.... #21737
02/11/05 01:23 PM
02/11/05 01:23 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Yes Corleone is a real place in Sicily.Its on the west side Of Sicily if im not mistaken smile

Ill let the Knowlegable people answer your other questions smile

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Couple of questions.... #21738
02/11/05 03:48 PM
02/11/05 03:48 PM
Illinois
Lauren8 Offline
Capo
Lauren8  Offline
Capo
Illinois
5. Sonny, Fredo, Michael, Connie. I think that Tom Hagen was around the same age as Sonny.

6. Genco was Vito's consigliere...the same position that Tom Hagen held. I believe that they first met when Vito worked at Genco's father's grocery store, as shown in Part II. Genco dies at the very beginning of Part I (from cancer or something like that) in a deleted scene. And he was also in the whole olive oil business with Vito, the company was actually called Genco Olive Oil.

~*~*~*~Lauren~*~*~*~
Re: Couple of questions.... #21739
02/11/05 03:49 PM
02/11/05 03:49 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Lollie, OK, I'll try to help you. wink
1. Yes. There's a museum of mafia in it.
2.Michael's great love for Fabrizio? Maybe you mean someone else? confused Fabrizio was a traitor and Michael had him killed. Read this thread attentively: Fabrizio.
3.No, he was not.
4.Neri came to serve Michael in the end of the book, so "the guy" was someone else. I don't remember who. You may post this question in the trivia game wink
Neri is not too central. He is Michael's executioner, prime enforcer. His character has a lot of space in the book.
BTW, If you read it, you'll have much less questions. wink
5. 1-Santino, 2-Fredo, 3-Michael, 4-Connie.
6. Genco is a friend and later consigliere to Vito, before Tom. He was not a lawyer. He is in GF2. Book says more about him.
7. they went to the mattresses to protect their wives and kids from attack. They lived there because it was more convenient. Like army barracks - you don't call every soldier every day from home to the battlefield. grin
8. There really were 5 families of NY, some of them still exist. There are many versions, but I believe Puzo took as model different mafia leaders. Some people say Bonnano, some - Genovese, and some-Costello. There's no full resemblance.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Couple of questions.... #21740
02/11/05 04:58 PM
02/11/05 04:58 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by Lollie:
.....Would Al Neri be the guy sitting at the table eating Chinese food with Clemenza, Tessio, Michael, Sonny, & Tom when they were waiting to hear where the meeting was going to be between Michael and Sollozzo?

If it was not Neri, who was that guy?
I've been wondering about that myself wink

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Couple of questions.... #21741
02/11/05 06:12 PM
02/11/05 06:12 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
4. There is a lot of talk about Al Neri here. But, I haven't seen too much of him, unless I'm missing him in all the right places! Who was he and why does he seem so central? Would Al Neri be the guy sitting at the table eating Chinese food with Clemenza, Tessio, Michael, Sonny, & Tom when they were waiting to hear where the meeting was going to be between Michael and Sollozzo? If it was not Neri, who was that guy?
Neri became Mike's "Luca Brasi" and his story was told in the book. That individual eating Chinese food with the guys was NOT Neri - that character was never identified. See pic below:

[Linked Image]

6. Sonny mentions a guy by the name of "Genco" to Tom in an argument they were having about Sonny's war. I thought Genco was someone who Vito went into business with regarding the importing of olive oil from Italy. Was Genco also a lawyer? Which one was he in GFII?
Genco was the guy with whom young Vito went to the opera to see the Italian play. Later, it was Genco that opened the door for Signor Roberto (the landlord who nervously visited young Vito). It was Genco's father who took young Vito "in" when Vito came to America, and it was in Genco's father's grocery store that young Vito worked.

2. In GF1, it doesn't show much about the relationship between Michael and Fabrizio, yet many on this board talk about Michael's great love for Fabrizio and his sorrow at Fabrizio's death. Is this angle shown more in the book or in GFIII? (I've only seen GFIII 3-4 times.)
You're thinking of Calo, Mike's other bodyguard in Sicily. In the book, Calo was killed along with Apollonia, but he was alive and faithful to Mike in Part III.

Re: Couple of questions.... #21742
02/11/05 09:37 PM
02/11/05 09:37 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by SC:
That individual eating Chinese food with the guys was NOT Neri - that character was never identified. See pic below:

[Linked Image]

I'm waiting for someone to tell me it's Rocco lol

Actualy, it looks a lot like Bruno Kirby. Wasn't he one of the spectators in the fight scene with Sonny & Carlo? Maybe he filled in here......

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Couple of questions.... #21743
02/11/05 09:56 PM
02/11/05 09:56 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by plawrence:
Actualy, it looks a lot like Bruno Kirby. Wasn't he one of the spectators in the fight scene with Sonny & Carlo? Maybe he filled in here......
That was Frank Sivero, the guy who played young Genco.

This does, however, open up another Pandora's Box - the following scene in which all the guys are leaving the Don's house - thats the first time we see Willie Cicci in the movie.

Re: Couple of questions.... #21744
02/11/05 10:24 PM
02/11/05 10:24 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
In regards to Brando's ethnic heritage-no, he wasnt Italian. I believe his main nationality was French.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Couple of questions.... #21745
02/11/05 11:49 PM
02/11/05 11:49 PM
Austria
AlNeri Offline
Wiseguy
AlNeri  Offline
Wiseguy
Austria
if you wanna know what neri looks like, look at my avatar! smile

that guy looks nothing like bruno kirby, different hair, diferent face, not chubby! in think he does look a bit like rocco, but it's not him!

brando was american, yes, but still his ancestors had to come over from europe at some time, or do you think he sprang out of the woodwork in the rocky mountains? wink
brando was dutch/french/english/irish, i believe.

Re: Couple of questions.... #21746
02/12/05 11:30 PM
02/12/05 11:30 PM
Michigan
Lollie Offline OP
Made Member
Lollie  Offline OP
Made Member
Michigan
Thanks for all the help, folks! I do appreciate it. Brando was soooo good as an Italian, you really BELIEVED he was one! What an actor! We'll never see another actor like him or DeNiro! The quality of actors today is pitiful. Can you see Brad Pitt trying to pull off a Michael Corleone??? What a laugh that would be!

~~ Lollie

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull