GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, joepuzzles234), 390 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,980
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,096
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
carlo beating connie #21711
02/10/05 11:27 PM
02/10/05 11:27 PM
Austria
AlNeri Offline OP
Wiseguy
AlNeri  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Austria
hi!

i have a question about the scene where carlo beats up connie he calls her a guinea. why would he use such an expression when he's italian himself?

Re: carlo beating connie #21712
02/10/05 11:35 PM
02/10/05 11:35 PM
Detroit, MI
Cancerkitty Offline
Underboss
Cancerkitty  Offline
Underboss
Detroit, MI
I always kind of wondered that myself, but I hear other races/ethnicities do the same thing. I've called other people in my family polocks. Granted I was joking around, but I still do it.

Plus it just sounded like a quick, thoughtless rant, you know? When you're really pissed off and not really thinking of what you're saying?

DelSquacho.com - All the world loves a clown, but not an evil clown.
Re: carlo beating connie #21713
02/11/05 01:20 AM
02/11/05 01:20 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Guinea is a pejorative term for Sicilians. I don't remember Carlo's Italian derivation mentioned. Perhaps he was a Neapolitan.

E Vero!

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: carlo beating connie #21714
02/11/05 01:27 AM
02/11/05 01:27 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Since they were married he HAD to know what terms or sayings would REALLY piss her off.

Probably everyone at one time in their life has said SOMETHING to another person that would really piss them off that was also bashing yourself. It's just a matter of pissing the other person off more.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: carlo beating connie #21715
02/11/05 05:33 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by olivant:
Guinea is a pejorative term for Sicilians. I don't remember Carlo's Italian derivation mentioned. Perhaps he was a Neapolitan.
I searched in a "surnames site" and I found out that RIZZI is a Nothern Italian surname (scarcely present in a couple of Southern regions, not at all in Sicily). So it is reasonable that Carlo felt himself different from those "Sicilian guineas" he came across with by marrying Connie.

Give a look to the site, I found it interesting! there's also a USA page, where you can spot Italian surnames in America!!! smile

http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: carlo beating connie #21716
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
It is said in the novel that Carlo was a half-bred, from Sicilian father and a mother from northern Italy. That's why he had blonde hair.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: carlo beating connie #21717
02/11/05 06:58 AM
02/11/05 06:58 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline
Made Member
Lollie  Offline
Made Member
Michigan
I thought his last name was Rizzo, not Rizzi. If he had any Northern Italian blood in him and not any Sicilian blood in him, it makes sense then that he would use a perjorative term such as "Guinea" to describe his wife (of Sicilian blood). As I said before, unfortunately, mainland Italians (at least in my grandfather and grandmother's era) did not consider Sicilians real Italians (mostly due to the mixture of other cultures in Sicily). My grandmother was insulted if anyone ever thought she was Sicilian and would quickly and sternly correct anyone who assumed she was Sicilian in public. Sicily was, at one time, a penal colony much like Australia was. Mainland Italians considered Sicilians "lower class" thieves, murderers, etc. I don't know if that attitude still exists today, or if it existed anywhere outside of where my grandparents lived, but according to them (one from Campania and the other Calabreze), Scilians were not true Italians. The funny thing is, I find the culture of Sicilians very much like how I grew up in my family. The food, language, and customs were very similar, but you would never say that to my grandmother!

~~ Lollie

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: carlo beating connie #21718
02/11/05 07:37 AM
02/11/05 07:37 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by Lollie:
I don't know if that attitude still exists today,
a sort of racist attitude towards Southern Italians (not only Sicilians) still exists ohwell , mainly in the North. They have this idea of Southern Italy being "financially maintained" by the North, as if only Northen Italians work and pay taxes mad . This mentality is quite common up in the North and made the electoral luck of some political parties. Consider that this attitude extends to Rome itself for being the seige of the political central power. One of the most successful slogans of the afore mentioned political parties (e. g. the "Lega Padana", firstly centered in the Milan region and then developed in all Northen Italy) is "Roma ladrona, la Lega non perdona", meaning "Rome, you're a thief, the Lega will not forgive you" and stuff like that ohwell . Sicilians are immediately connected to the mafia, as if ALL Sicilians were in the Don Corleone family.....As for Neapolitans, they are still granted a reputation for being "cheaters and thieves", while we Romans are usually said to be lazy and indolent.....Of course this is a mentality that can thrive on ignorance and bias. Consider that Italy was united as a national country only in 1861, quite recently in historical terms. So it is no wonder that this parochial-minded attitude still survives in some way -- we call it "campanilismo", from the word "campanile", meaning "bell tower", hence a fanatic love for one's native town or village and a hostile attitude for others, those you cannot see from your "campanile".

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: carlo beating connie #21719
02/11/05 08:07 AM
02/11/05 08:07 AM
Underboss
Underboss
(one from Campania and the other Calabreze)[/QB]
I noticed many of the Italian Americans in the BB write "Calabrese" as if it was the name of a region. It isn't. This is an adjective. You say your relatives are from CALABRIA, so they are CALABRESI. Calabrese is a singular adjective.

Lavinia, the feminine Plaw. smile

Re: carlo beating connie #21720
02/11/05 09:21 AM
02/11/05 09:21 AM
Austria
AlNeri Offline OP
Wiseguy
AlNeri  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Austria
I thought his last name was Rizzo, not Rizzi.
i think you mistake him for enrico salvatore "ratso" rizzo in midnight cowboy! lol

i didn't know that the term "guinea" refers only to sicilians. the only slurs for italians i knew in english were "wop" and "greaseball", but in the movie there are several others, "daigo", "gumbah". do these refer only to sicilians or italians in general?

i've heard that the name "rizzi" was a rather northern italian name. however, in the german dubbing, he calls connie a "spaghettifresser" (spaghetti-muncher) which is a derrogative term for italians as a whole. we have some others in german, like "itaker", "makkaronifresser", "papagallo", "katzelmacher", but none specially for sicilians though!

but i think you italians also have some names for germans and austrians, so no harm done! tongue

and what about al neri? is he sicilian? he's rather fair (played by an irish lad). is he also some mainland italian?

Re: carlo beating connie #21721
02/11/05 10:29 AM
02/11/05 10:29 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline
Made Member
Lollie  Offline
Made Member
Michigan
Lavinia:

Thanks for the correction on "Calabrese"! I couldn't remember the correct town name and knew it had something to do with Calabrese--LOL! That's what happens to you when you hit 50!!!

Fantastic information, by the way, on the sad, but all too common, attitude of some people--whether they be Italians, Spanish, or whatever.

~~ Lollie

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: carlo beating connie #21722
02/11/05 10:33 AM
02/11/05 10:33 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline
Made Member
Lollie  Offline
Made Member
Michigan
Quite honestly, I have only heard a person called a "guinea" a few times. Mostly I've heard "wop" (don't have any clue where that came from!!), "dago", "spaghetti vendor", etc. Carlo may have called Connie a "guinea" just because she may have been personally affronted by it, who knows, right?

~~ Lollie

Re: carlo beating connie #21723
02/11/05 10:37 AM
02/11/05 10:37 AM
Underboss
Underboss
"wop" (don't have any clue where that came from!!) [/QB]
it's the acronym of "WithOut Papers", if I'm not wrong. It's due to the fact that many Italian immigrants arrived to Ellis Island without their documents. In France they still use to refer to immigrants from developing countries as "sans papiers".

Re: carlo beating connie #21724
02/11/05 10:40 AM
02/11/05 10:40 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Fantastic information, by the way, on the sad, but all too common, attitude of some people--whether they be Italians, Spanish, or whatever.
[/QB]
we Italians say: "The mother of idiots is always pregnant"! wink

Re: carlo beating connie #21725
02/11/05 11:49 AM
02/11/05 11:49 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
About Neri - he is a Sicilian, his parents were from a village that was 5 min. from Corleone.

BTW, from Puzo's intonation in describing Carlo and many others, you may think that Sicilians have their own racism, despising northern "blondes" as absolutely ignoble. wink

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: carlo beating connie #21726
02/11/05 11:55 AM
02/11/05 11:55 AM
Austria
AlNeri Offline OP
Wiseguy
AlNeri  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Austria
well, but richard bright is obviously not sicilian. he could pass for some northern italian, but he still looks kind of irish.

Re: carlo beating connie #21727
02/13/05 05:40 PM
02/13/05 05:40 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
"wop" (don't have any clue where that came from!!)
it's the acronym of "WithOut Papers", if I'm not wrong. It's due to the fact that many Italian immigrants arrived to Ellis Island without their documents. In France they still use to refer to immigrants from developing countries as "sans papiers". [/QB]
And do you know where the name TONY derived from? When immigrants arrived at Ellis Island, many had stickers or signs on their lapels which said :

TO-NY ( TO New York ). wink j/j!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: carlo beating connie #21728
02/13/05 06:06 PM
02/13/05 06:06 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
(one from Campania and the other Calabreze)
I noticed many of the Italian Americans in the BB write "Calabrese" as if it was the name of a region. It isn't. This is an adjective. You say your relatives are from CALABRIA, so they are CALABRESI. Calabrese is a singular adjective.

Lavinia, the feminine Plaw. smile [/QB]
Thanks Lavinia. I always thought that was he case. My family on both sides is Sicilian. I had one uncle (through marriage) who was from Calabria. Everyone loved this guy, but he was not immune from being teased because he was only "Calabresi". My father and he would go around and around speaking Italian (fortunately in this case, with love and good humor) as to which was better Siciliano or Calabaresi. lol I didn't think, nor did I know at the time, of these feelings between these two areas, but they must have because they both joked about it all the time.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull