GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,184
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,898
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why you like the GF? #21689
02/15/05 02:19 PM
02/15/05 02:19 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Wow, why do I like The Godfather. I think the question should be "Why shouldn't I like The Godfather. I'm sure someone could compile a much shorter list as to why someone shouldn't like The Godfather than one of all the many reasons someone should. But, seeing as the question is why do I like it, I'll answer. grin

1) Acting (Brando, Pacino, Duvall, Caan, Cazale, Keaton, I'm sorry folks, but it doesn't get any better than that.)

2) The story (Sure, it's a romanticized depiction of Mafia life, but really, it's not so much about the mafia as it is about family, the importance of maintaining a good relationship with your family, and the value of friendship.)

3) The direction (It's amazing that with such a small budget, Francis Ford Coppola made the single greatest film of all time (IMO). Gordon Willis' lighting is fantastic, and set the standard of what lighting should be like in a film. Paramount took a big chance on a relatively unknown director, and an actor who was known for his off-screen shenanigans, and on an actor who they wanted fired the minute they saw his screen test (Pacino). Thank God it payed off).

I could go on for hours, but I'll try and make this brief. The Godfather is the epitome of modern film making. It set such a high standard, that few (if any) films have reached it. After 33 years, it's still an incredibly interesting topic for discussion, and it's also a film that spawned the greatest Godfather website on the Internet (actually endorsed by Mario Puzo), and the greatest discussion board on all things Godfather. In short, I like The Godfather because it's a great film, and has brought me to this message board and has introduced me to such wonderful people. It's weird, how a movie with such a dark backdrop, involving murder, drugs, rackets, etc, can bring so many people together. Who'd a thunk it?

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Why you like the GF? #21690
02/23/05 11:51 PM
02/23/05 11:51 PM
home of the wildcats, kentucky
belle Offline
Wiseguy
belle  Offline
Wiseguy
home of the wildcats, kentucky
There are too many reasons to list for loving the Godfather movies but as a history major and future teacher there is one that stands out. Many of you have stated that the Godfather reminds you of your own childhood and times with your family. I would suggest that the Godfather reminds America of her good old days. If you notice the story of the young idealistic war hero Michael begins in 1945 after the end of WWII. The war was over, the economic depression had dissipated, and anything seemed possible. The 1950s are a time of prosperity and growth then in the 1960s things seem to fall apart. The Vietnam war divides the nation, feminism, divorce,and abortion create different atmospheres at home and an innocence seems to be gone forever. It is not lost on me that the same story happens to the Corleone family. From the happy simple times of the post war years to the turbulent years of the sixties they follow closely the timeline and growing pains of the nation.

Winegardner sleeps with the fishes.
Re: Why you like the GF? #21691
02/24/05 03:11 PM
02/24/05 03:11 PM
Scotland
Debz Offline
Underboss
Debz  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Hey new on the site, pleased to meet u all. I am new to the whole genre of the godfather, I hadn't seen it before but herd people talking about it my Dad really liked it and got the DVD so one night he sat down and put on The Godfather, I wasn't to pleased as I didnt think it would be my kinda thing...but as I sat there and saw the characters develop before my eyes I was hooked...I cared for them for some reason they were so beleiveable and I always wanted the Coreleones to suceed!! When it was done I was dying to watch 2 and 3. I think they are all brilliant and have watched them a few times since. After watching the godfather trilogy I have been interested in watching other films such as Donnie Brasco in which I thought Al Pacino was great! And I hope to see Godfellas and Scarface soon. I Also just finished reading the book aswell and loved it! I like the Godfather as it has let me learn about kinds of films i never thought I would like. smile

[Debz]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull