GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (furio_from_naples), 377 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,080
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,371
Posts1,059,524
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why you like the GF? #21659
02/08/05 06:24 PM
02/08/05 06:24 PM
AZ
Rudik Offline OP
Made Member
Rudik  Offline OP
Made Member
AZ
I like the godfather cuz it is a good movie. But i dont know why i love it soo much. What are your reasons why you like it soo much. Turnbull I wanna see your answer the most.

Leave the gun and take the canoli.
Re: Why you like the GF? #21660
02/08/05 08:25 PM
02/08/05 08:25 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Sorry to disapoint you by replying first, but there are many reason one loves The Godfather Movie. Me, I just LOVE IT! I Can Watch it Over and Over!

1) Storyline itself is just fantastic.
2) Great writing.
3) Great actors.
4) The director/writer peaks our interest in real life Mob families by bringing it to the screen. Here, in a movie, the viewer can "root" for the bad guy where in real life it would not be acceptable to root for the real life bad guy. Deep down we all have a little gangster in us, Right SC? tongue
5) I also believe that deep down inside of everyone of us there is a part of us that would love to live life the way we want, by our own choosing, and not being part of the "established and accepted" way of always having to do things the proper way. We all would love to take shortcuts sometimes to get where we want to be in life. In The Godfather the viewer can "escape" everyday real life, going to work for a living, etc. and relate from deep within with the characters way of a somewhat easy life.
6) All of us also admire the great power that the Corleone's have, getting things done at the snap of a finger, the power of the Don, his political connections, the respect that he demands, and the fear that he instills. Of course in real life we would not act like that towards another human being. But lets face it, there are times when we come across others (in our journey through life) that get in our way, and we would all love to just make one phone call to have them moved out of our path. Wouldn't we all also love to have a personal army at our disposal if the need arose! lol
7) And I found that as I have gone through life in general, at least on the business side of it, there are MANY lessons to be learned from The Godfather movie that, in it's own way, apply to many business situations in life. Dealing with competitors, different personalities, and in trying to calcualte your comeptitors next move in the business world. In my line of business I have always adhered to the Don's advice of " Keep your friends close, but your enemies ( competitors ) closer!"

And lets face it, how many times have you left the house on a Sunday morning and heard your wife scream to you " Don't forget the Cannolis! wink lol

We also learn how to make a good "meats in the gravy" for Sunday's "Il Pronzo." wink

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why you like the GF? #21661
02/08/05 08:31 PM
02/08/05 08:31 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
The 1st great mob epic ever made. I agree with Don Cardi that we all down deep inside would like to live a life like that. Also great writing and great actors.

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: Why you like the GF? #21662
02/08/05 08:44 PM
02/08/05 08:44 PM
New york
CommonMafiaHood Offline
Wiseguy
CommonMafiaHood  Offline
Wiseguy
New york
Were to start . . .
The directing was ingenious. . . how in those real touching scenes we get closeups and the music . . . the viewer can really feel it.
Acting . . . Brando, De Niro, Pacino, Caan, Duvall . . . come on now dont waste my time
The story is great . . . not so much about the mob, it was more about family and how the great corleones made decisions the lead to their greatness and fate . . .
How many times have u heard . .
"I know it was you. you broke my heart"
"Make em an offer he cant refuse"
"we dont discuss business at the table"
I dont have time to think of them all, but in so many movies . . . the godfather has been used as an influence
Overall, the godfather has something every movie has . . . there is no doubt weather u personally like it or not . . . its a great trilogy.
You really can dis it . . . some of the best acting careers came from it. And thats it.

Re: Why you like the GF? #21663
02/09/05 02:21 AM
02/09/05 02:21 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
1)Michael's relationship with his father
2)Importance of family
3)Important lessons for life.
4)Great acting
5)Nino Rota's music, haunting.
6)Sicily scenes
7)Powerful, yet chivalrous and helping Don

Re: Why you like the GF? #21664
02/09/05 02:45 AM
02/09/05 02:45 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Don't forget the real life effects of the Godfather:

yeah someone just THOUGHT OF E-Z Pass, give me a break lol

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Why you like the GF? #21665
02/09/05 06:35 AM
02/09/05 06:35 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Very good thread. It makes us cope with the inner reasons we like this movie so much. For one thing is sure: this is not just a great movie. Not just a movie masterpiece. It's not just oustandingly excellent script, direction, setting, acting, music score, even though all these things together would be enough to make it special. There are many other movie masterpieces, but hardly they have the same impact on us, after more than 30 years, through the generations, as we may easily see in this very board. This is special. This is different. I agree very much with that sort of "identification process" DC explained so well in his detailed and bright post. But this "identification process" is part of every movie, theatre play, painting, poem, sculpture, music or other human genius expression whatsoever that deserves to be called "art". It's part of the artistic process. It's what is called "the cathartic process" art involves inside a receptive spectator, from Greek theatre on. So it is to be said that this identification is not uniquely pertinent of the GF saga, even though very powerful, for the psychological reasons DC so smartly explained. Personally I think that this film has such a strong effect on us because it let us identify with characters (Vito, Michael) who on one hand are criminals and on the other are heroes. They are both killers AND healers. They use power both for their profit AND to restore justice. They embody all greatness and misery of human condition and at such an extent that few ordinary men could ever stand. That's why we cannot help but admire them, even though we know they are criminals. The tragic ending (Michael's innocent daughter's death) is the right punishment for choosing (but was it a real choice? Did Michael have a real choice? I don't think so) that lifestyle. This makes our admiration morally bearable. When "the end" appears on the screen, the lights turn on and GF is over, we feel it was the obviuos ending. Yet it hurts.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Why you like the GF? #21666
02/09/05 07:18 AM
02/09/05 07:18 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
Very good thread. It makes us cope with the inner reasons we like this movie............

........ When "the end" appears on the screen, the lights turn on and GF is over, we feel it was the obviuos ending. Yet it hurts.
And she called my post a smart post? Mine was 3rd grade material compared to hers! eek

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why you like the GF? #21667
02/09/05 10:09 AM
02/09/05 10:09 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Just by the way, Lavinia, I remember that someone was writing me in PMs just yesterday that she doesn't speak English fluently enough. I wonder - who it was? Because it couldn't be you, it's obvious! wink lol

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Why you like the GF? #21668
02/09/05 10:31 AM
02/09/05 10:31 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
GF Trilogy is my favorite because it has everything. Great scene follows great scene, great performance follows great performance, all bound together in a compelling, sweeping saga of a family at war with the world, and itself. But if you pressed me to name the one thing I like the most, it's FFC's fanatical attention to detail. Everything is so authentic, so perfect, that you can watch the Trilogy hundreds of times and see something new each time.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why you like the GF? #21669
02/09/05 10:38 AM
02/09/05 10:38 AM
Underboss
Underboss
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JustMe:
<strong> Just by the way, Lavinia, I remember that someone was writing me in PMs just yesterday that she doesn't speak English fluently enough. I wonder - who it was? Because it couldn't be you, it's obvious! wink blush But I spent half morning on that post. This is not fluency, it's spare time!!!!! cool

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Why you like the GF? #21670
02/09/05 10:42 AM
02/09/05 10:42 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
As the others have said, there is great writing, great directing and great acting. Great attention was given to the tiniest, teensiest detail. However, for me, my favorite is Sicily. I think that GF was the first time that Americans were exposed to Sicily. I feel that Sicily and all its beauty and sad history was not just a backdrop, but almost a character in the movie. Sicily and Sicilians, even the dialect, were portrayed in an honest and fair light. Just compare it to the disaster that was made of The Sicilian, a book that had just as much potential as GF to be a great film.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Why you like the GF? #21671
02/09/05 11:09 AM
02/09/05 11:09 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
I feel that Sicily and all its beauty and sad history was not just a backdrop, but almost a character in the movie. [/QB]
I'm totally with you, SB. But I dare say more. Beyond so exquisitely portrayed Sicily and Sicilians themselves, I dare say "Sicilianity" is portrayed. Sicilianity as an existencial condition belonging more to the spirit than to a specific geographical area. Sicilianity as a metaphor of isolation, poverty, famine, desperation, violence as the only response to the absence of government, emigration as the only hope for a better future. A condition that is similar to other countries (e.g. Ireland, Eastern European countries etc) -- maybe this is why GF success is universal and not limited to a specific ethnic group (Italian Americans).

Re: Why you like the GF? #21672
02/09/05 05:45 PM
02/09/05 05:45 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
Every single scene is great. That is why it is my favorite movie.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: Why you like the GF? #21673
02/09/05 07:09 PM
02/09/05 07:09 PM
The Bull Offline
Associate
The Bull  Offline
Associate
The first time I watched, I was captured by Al Pacino's acting. His silence was more intimidating than his words.

"I never killed in a fit of anger. I'm controlled. A professional. I killed because of my oath."

Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano
Re: Why you like the GF? #21674
02/09/05 09:13 PM
02/09/05 09:13 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
I could go on and on, but I'll try to sum it up in 2 things
1) it is one of the very few movies which, after repeated watchings, you still see the characters and not the actors. i.e. Joel Barish becomes Jim Carrey after about 5 viewings
2) The way its put together. The acting, sets, lighting,direction, script, music etc all comes together flawlessly. You couldnt ask for a better picture.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Why you like the GF? #21675
02/10/05 11:39 PM
02/10/05 11:39 PM
Illinois
Lauren8 Offline
Capo
Lauren8  Offline
Capo
Illinois
I love the Godfather films for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else has stated. I think another reason why these films are so loved is because they're the kind of movies that after watching, it might take awhile to stop thinking about them. It's hard not to watch them without imagining different scenarios, different ways the story could have gone...what if's. I know that I am truly touched by something...whether it be a movie, a book, a song, etc...when I can't stop thinking about it once it's over. The films also stand the test of time pretty well. They'll never become dated.

~*~*~*~Lauren~*~*~*~
Re: Why you like the GF? #21676
02/11/05 03:20 PM
02/11/05 03:20 PM
Mexico City
MrGreene Offline
Wiseguy
MrGreene  Offline
Wiseguy
Mexico City
I was 8 when I saw The Godfather for the first time (1982). Since then I really loved the family bonds pictured. Those weddings were like the ones I attended: lots of people, music, and cousins to hang around. To see a father (Don Vito) enjoying and suffering whith their kids was very moving to me.

Now I see that the acting,FFC great directing and an excelent story are the ingredients of this legendary movie.

Best regards,

"I was making my bones while you were going out with cheerleaders"
Re: Why you like the GF? #21677
02/11/05 03:46 PM
02/11/05 03:46 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

The same reason everybody else likes it:

Acting
Storyline's
Music
Locations
Murder's
Reality

smile

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Why you like the GF? #21678
02/11/05 06:40 PM
02/11/05 06:40 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
The Godfather and Godfather part 2 are BY FAR the 2 best movies of all time. People mention Citizen Kane and Casablance in the same breath as those 2 movies and I LMAO. They're not even close. NOTHING is.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Why you like the GF? #21679
02/12/05 05:30 AM
02/12/05 05:30 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
The Godfather and Godfather part 2 are BY FAR the 2 best movies of all time.
As to original parts, I agree with you absolutely. "Modern" parts of GF2 are pretty inconsistent, but strictly that is not a fault of filmmaking ,rather that of screenplay. If only everyone would mind his own business... rolleyes
Why do I like GF? Because it is a film version of a great novel, and as such it inherits many of its merits, where doesn't try to contradict it. Among them, subtlety of detail, knowlege of human nature and reality, elaborately developed characters, healthy cinicism concealing the depth of meaning.
Also, excellent actors, MUSIC!!!, the work of the whole crew, including FFC at his own speciality, I mean directing, not spoiling the script. wink
As to sequels - I don't like them. GF3 I can't stand. mad

Re: Why you like the GF? #21680
02/13/05 12:09 AM
02/13/05 12:09 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline
Made Member
Lollie  Offline
Made Member
Michigan
I would have to say that the reasons why I love GFI and GFII is for the same reasons that everyone else mentioned above: excellent acting, directing, scenery, music, etc. But, my #1 reason for loving it so much and watching it over and over and over again is because this movie touches me in a very personal way. Half of my family were exactly like the Corleones (except for their connection with crime)! I can remember whenever we would have get togethers of family at our house,when it got late and me and my sisters were supposed to be in bed, we would sit on the stairs and listen to the adults talking and playing cards in the kitchen. It was like watching the GF even then! So many things in the movie I experienced in real life! So many of my great aunts and uncles looked like mafioso! When my friends would come over when I was in my early 20's would remark that my family looked like the mob! And that's exactly like it was! There would be the laughing, arguing (lots of that--especially if they were playing cards!), loud talking (they really couldn't talk any other way!) swearing in Italian, speaking English and then breaking into Italian and vice versa, AND WHO COULD FORGET THE FOOD! Eating and food was done with passion in my family. The smells of Italian black olives (wrinkled up--I didn't care for them because they were bitter), Italian antipasto sitting on the table with lots of homemade crusty Italian bread, Olive oil, pasta, meat balls, sausages, pork neck bones (which cooked in the spaghetti sauce for hours!), sausage & peppers, sardines, romano cheese (we never used anything but Romano cheese--there's a special name for it, but I can't remember it now), espresso coffee, anisette, canolies, and on and on the list would go. And, if you tried to leave the house without taking food home, my grandmother and aunts would go running out of the house with plastic containers of food to your car). It was actually an insult if you refused to take any food home with you. My aunt would actually get angry if someone wouldn't take something home. It was just the way it was.

Yeah, The Godfather takes me back to my childhood and adulthood. I sit at the kitchen table and watch everything that is going on (just as I did when I was a kid). I had uncles who would tickle me until I cried, would wrassle with me outside, throw me up in the air like I was a sack of potatoes, and great aunts who would swear at their husbands because they were playing too rough with me. Ahhhh, what a time!

~~ Lollie smile

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: Why you like the GF? #21681
02/13/05 05:26 AM
02/13/05 05:26 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Thanks for sharing you remembrances, Lollie! It was a great pleasure to read.
If so, the book will give you even more pleasure! Find it! smile

Re: Why you like the GF? #21682
02/13/05 06:04 AM
02/13/05 06:04 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Lollie, your poignant memories just made me consciously aware of why I prefer Part I over II (and certainly over III). I, too, can relate to the closeness of the family and think back on those times of my youth as happy times. That was a central theme in Part I and we're not alone in thinking that. Mike thought it also at the end of Part II.

I long for those days.

Re: Why you like the GF? #21683
02/13/05 12:00 PM
02/13/05 12:00 PM
MA
C
chenille Offline
Wiseguy
chenille  Offline
C
Wiseguy
MA
I love in particular the street scenes in early New York. and Sicily..the "cluelessness" of Mrs Corleone and the street sense that the children of that time naturally developed. I often compare those times to today where there is organized sports, cell phones, so much technology that the kids today are finding it very hard to develop street smarts. Can you imagine our kids today alone in Ellis Island or running away after watching you mother get shot...

Re: Why you like the GF? #21684
02/13/05 06:04 PM
02/13/05 06:04 PM
ayrshire
craigie boy Offline
Associate
craigie boy  Offline
Associate
ayrshire
I had seen the Godfather around 15 years ago for the first time and to be truthful ( even after all the hype i knew about that surrounded it ), i did,nt rate it up there. Today i watched it again and my view point has totally changed . before , i would have said the best gangster film i had seen was "Goodfellas" although in my opinion , after today , i would say the term "gangster" is inappropriate and slanderous towards these people.
I am eagerly waiting to get off shift now and watch the second part and after viewing the critics on this site i,m sure it will be as good if not better than its predecesor.

Re: Why you like the GF? #21685
02/13/05 06:42 PM
02/13/05 06:42 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Lollie:
I would have to say that the reasons why I love GFI and GFII is for the same reasons that everyone else mentioned above: excellent acting, directing, scenery, music, etc. But, my #1 reason for loving it so much and watching it over and over and over again is because this movie touches me in a very personal way. Half of my family were exactly like the Corleones (except for their connection with crime)! I can remember whenever we would have get togethers of family at our house,when it got late and me and my sisters were supposed to be in bed, we would sit on the stairs and listen to the adults talking and playing cards in the kitchen. It was like watching the GF even then! So many things in the movie I experienced in real life! So many of my great aunts and uncles looked like mafioso! When my friends would come over when I was in my early 20's would remark that my family looked like the mob! And that's exactly like it was! There would be the laughing, arguing (lots of that--especially if they were playing cards!), loud talking (they really couldn't talk any other way!) swearing in Italian, speaking English and then breaking into Italian and vice versa, AND WHO COULD FORGET THE FOOD! Eating and food was done with passion in my family. The smells of Italian black olives (wrinkled up--I didn't care for them because they were bitter), Italian antipasto sitting on the table with lots of homemade crusty Italian bread, Olive oil, pasta, meat balls, sausages, pork neck bones (which cooked in the spaghetti sauce for hours!), sausage & peppers, sardines, romano cheese (we never used anything but Romano cheese--there's a special name for it, but I can't remember it now), espresso coffee, anisette, canolies, and on and on the list would go. And, if you tried to leave the house without taking food home, my grandmother and aunts would go running out of the house with plastic containers of food to your car). It was actually an insult if you refused to take any food home with you. My aunt would actually get angry if someone wouldn't take something home. It was just the way it was.

Yeah, The Godfather takes me back to my childhood and adulthood. I sit at the kitchen table and watch everything that is going on (just as I did when I was a kid). I had uncles who would tickle me until I cried, would wrassle with me outside, throw me up in the air like I was a sack of potatoes, and great aunts who would swear at their husbands because they were playing too rough with me. Ahhhh, what a time!

~~ Lollie smile
Nice post...my family is the same way. A huge reason I love the Godfather so much is because I can relate to it.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Why you like the GF? #21686
02/13/05 09:47 PM
02/13/05 09:47 PM
ayrshire
craigie boy Offline
Associate
craigie boy  Offline
Associate
ayrshire
hi lollie,
just like to say really enjoyed reading your post . there is something very intruiging and somewhat mysterious about sicily and the history behind it and i love it . bye the way im not crazy like tony montana

Re: Why you like the GF? #21687
02/14/05 05:16 PM
02/14/05 05:16 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I can relate to Lollie's feelings. So much of GF had personal touches (minus the crime of course) of true Sicilian customs/ways. I won't repeat Lollie's post, but will simply say next to the great story and acting, that's a definite "draw" for me.

I know in another section here someone once asked if only an "Italian" should write the new GF novel. Well, of course, it only takes a good writer and story to make a good novel. However, I've always thought that these extra touches that Puzo/FFC added to GF are generally known only by those who have lived the "Italian (Sicilian) life, or one who has been very close connected to it. It surely enhances the film and gives it more ethinicity. IMHO. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Why you like the GF? #21688
02/14/05 10:21 PM
02/14/05 10:21 PM
Michigan
Lollie Offline
Made Member
Lollie  Offline
Made Member
Michigan
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks. TIS: I have to agree with you about your comment about being Italian to write a book like the Godfather. There are so many little subleties in the movie that only an Italian would pick up. I could name lots of them now, but then my post would be too long! Just to give you an idea, one of the scenes that touched me was the scene in GFI at Connie's wedding where Tessio is dancing with one of Sonny's little girls. She is standing on his feet while he dances along with her ontop of his feet. My uncles used to let me do that with them! It was so that I could follow their steps without tripping them up! Also, the significance of fruit inthe movie is so typical of an Italian family. My grandfather never ate sweets--or at least only rarely. He preferred fruit and he always had a huge garden--like Vito's. He would take me into his garden as a young child and pull an ear of corn off the stalk. He would pull off all the leaves and strings and then bite into it. I bit into it and made a face because as a child you just don't like stuff like that. But my grandfather did--he dressed like Don Vito did, too. When I watched Don Vito dance with his daughter at her wedding--it also reminded me of my grandfather. He was very dignified looking, and he danced like an Italian Fred Astaire! They used to call my grandfather the "Italian Stallion" in his younger years because he was so handsome.

Yes, most of the little things in that movie is lost on people unless they have an Italian background--particularly a southern Italian or Sicilian background.

I have to say, too, that of all the non-Italians in the movie, James Caan had it down pat! His hand motions, and his "slang" was so typically Italian that he must have studied a long time in some Italian home for this movie! For example: At one point Sonny was talking about someone outside of the family and he said very subtly, "That mingja..." (pronounced: MING-YA) That was a slang term my family used all the time to indicate someone who was an idiot. Sort of like the town fool. The word actually was pronounced: MING-YA-ROOLL with the "r" being rolled heavily. Sonny also used the term "strutz" which was pronounced something like "stroo-tz" again, wth the heavy "r" roll. It was another derogatory term meaning an idiot or moron. Sonny, of all the characters acted and spoke like my family members. He had the hand gestures down pat, too!...with the two hands up, fingers pressed together facing each other--that was the way my family spoke! Too funny!! Just brings me back home!

~~ Lollie

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull