GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (3 invisible), 163 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,815
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,393
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,425
Posts1,060,715
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question about Italian in GF movies #21565
02/04/05 10:26 PM
02/04/05 10:26 PM
Michigan
Lollie Offline OP
Made Member
Lollie  Offline OP
Made Member
Michigan
Can anyone tell me if Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, (especially those two) or any of the other actors or actresses who were required to speak Italian in the GF movies actually knew the language or had to be taught to speak it? Who were the actors or actresses who spoke Italian fluently? Did Francis or Talia speak Italian?

I read where Carlo (Gianni Russo) played one of the Italian mobsters in the movie "Out For Justice" (a Steven Seagall movie)

~~ Lolly

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: Question about Italian in GF movies #21566
02/05/05 12:35 AM
02/05/05 12:35 AM
Chicago
GoHawks4 Offline
Wiseguy
GoHawks4  Offline
Wiseguy
Chicago
I heard somewhere that the reason Michael barely speaks any Italian in the movie is because he had a hard time learning it at all.

Re: Question about Italian in GF movies #21567
02/05/05 01:01 AM
02/05/05 01:01 AM
National City, CA
Caporegime Offline
Capo
Caporegime  Offline
Capo
National City, CA
I know for a fact that Robert DeNiro went to Sicily for quite some time before Godfather II was made and learned the language to perfection. His mastery of the language really shows in the movie, adding the authenticity that contributed to the greatness of Godfather II. I am not too sure about the other actors, though.

Sal: "Tom, can you get me off the hook? For old times' sake?"
Re: Question about Italian in GF movies #21568
02/05/05 02:43 AM
02/05/05 02:43 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Lollie:

I read where Carlo (Gianni Russo) played one of the Italian mobsters in the movie "Out For Justice" (a Steven Seagall movie)

~~ Lolly
Yes he did have a part in that movie. He also had a part as an Italian Mob boss in a TV series called "Wiseguy" with Ken Wahl. He actually was pretty good in it too. He settled in Las Vegas for quite some time and owned a restaurant called " Gianni Russo's State Street."

Here is a link regarding my knowing of Gianni Russo's Las Vegas Restaurant :
http://www.thegodfathertrilogy.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004642#000000

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Question about Italian in GF movies #21569
02/05/05 10:57 AM
02/05/05 10:57 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Too bad it's not still there. I try go to Vegas at least once a year, I would have loved to check it out, had I known. Where was it located? On the strip?? confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Question about Italian in GF movies #21570
02/05/05 12:10 PM
02/05/05 12:10 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Too bad it's not still there. I try go to Vegas at least once a year, I would have loved to check it out, had I known. Where was it located? On the strip?? confused

TIS
No TIS, actually it was way off the strip. I remember the cab driver taking all these turns and roads to get us there. It was a very long time ago ( 1983 to be exact, when we went to Hawaii on our honeymoon and stopped in Las Vegas on the way back )but I think that it was about a 15/20 minute drive from the strip! I remember thinking to myself "What is this guy gonna take us out to the desert and rob us!" eek Yes, I know, another Don Cardi cab "experience" lol . But actually the cab driver was nice enough to come back, pick us up, and take us to our hotel when we were finished at the restaurant! It was a really fantastic place and now looking back, it was probably ahead of it's time in what was, at the time, an underdeveloped outskirts of the strip.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Question about Italian in GF movies #21571
02/05/05 06:40 PM
02/05/05 06:40 PM
Michigan
Lollie Offline OP
Made Member
Lollie  Offline OP
Made Member
Michigan
Yeah, come to think of it, Al Pacino didn't speak that much Italian in either movie. (I don't really consider GFIII much in my thinking about the Godfather story....sorry if I offend anyone! tongue ) But, DeNiro--what an actor!!! What a man!!! I fell in love with him in GFII. I thought he was soooooo darn sexy in that! My dad looked somewhat like him--he wore his hair just like DeNiro in the movie. Anyway, what a superb actor! Can anyone tell me all of the actors that won Oscars for either GFI, GFII, or GFIII.

I loved DeNiro in Goodfellas, too, although his character was waaaay too sinister for me. At least as Vito Corleone, you knew that Vito's motives were strictly to care for his family and close friends. Back in those days, too, people were dirt poor. If a man like Vito lost his job in a little grocery store in those days, he really had to worry about his family starving! And, he would do whatever it took to prevent that. I remember my grandfather telling me stories about him growing up in the Little Italy in Chicago. He told me that he practically lived on the streets when he was a boy because he would sell papers on the corner for pennies. Wow...I can really relate to Vito's indignation when he asked Clemenza about if Fannucci was Italian and Clemenza saying he was, and then Vito asking him why, then, did he hassle other Italians? (Oh, maybe it wasn't Clemenza--maybe it was that other guy--I think he was the grocer's son!) And his only answer was that Fannucci was "the Black Hand". They were a group of the old "greaseballs" from the Old Country who acted like the mob of today.

Now, the Black Hand is gone and the mafioso is still alive, but very hidden.

Gee, did I just babble all that just now??? I must be tired...

~~ Lolly

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: Question about Italian in GF movies #21572
02/05/05 08:05 PM
02/05/05 08:05 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
If I remember correctly, Pacino knew very little (if any)Italian. Michael's character was easily accepted not knowing much Italian.

As far as DeNiro, when you think about it, he really had to learn it (at least to a point) in order to play his role convincingly. Young Vito came right from Sicily, speaking only Italian. I don't think there was any way around having the character not speak at least some Italian in the film.

Although I don't speak Italian, I'm told that Deniro does a pretty good job. I know some of his facial expressions and mannerisms seemed right on target too. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Question about Italian in GF movies #21573
02/06/05 05:46 PM
02/06/05 05:46 PM
NYC
Donfanucci Offline
Wiseguy
Donfanucci  Offline
Wiseguy
NYC
I never knew that Russo had a role in out for justice I love that movie I saw some of it today.

You've got balls, young man! How come I never heard of you before? You've got a lot of guts. I'll find you some work for good money.
Re: Question about Italian in GF movies #21574
02/07/05 04:02 AM
02/07/05 04:02 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Although I don't speak Italian, I'm told that Deniro does a pretty good job. I know some of his facial expressions and mannerisms seemed right on target too. smile

TIS
I confirm that DeNiro's Italian was excellent, TIS. I was astonished when I realized that he was actually acting in Italian (or Sicilian or a mix smile )!!!!! What a genius! eek And what a pity that he's wasting his talent in such unimportant movies now. ohwell

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Question about Italian in GF movies #21575
02/07/05 07:31 AM
02/07/05 07:31 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline OP
Made Member
Lollie  Offline OP
Made Member
Michigan
Yeah, Ginno Russo played the Italian mobster that was standing at the entrance of the bar where "Gino" goes in to talk with the Don. He says to Gino, "I see you still wearing your hair like a girl." I don't know what his name was in the movie, but that was he. I don't think he bears any resemblence to Carlo Rizzi, but that is according to the IMDb website. He played in another "B" movie too--I don't remember if it was another Seagal movie or not. But, if you check him out on imdb (www.imdb.com) you'll see the movies he was in.

~~ Lolly

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull