GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Irishman12, 2 invisible), 242 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,901
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,328
Posts1,058,719
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21179
01/25/05 07:29 PM
01/25/05 07:29 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline OP
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline OP
Underboss
At first, he still loves Fredo and understands that he didn't know there was going to be a hit. Then after the talk he had with him, he completely changes his mind and tells Fredo that he no longer means anything to him, and obviously he later has him killed. I don't understand what happened between New Years Day in Havannah and after Michael talked with Fredo that made Michael order the hit.

Could somebody explain this to me? confused

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21180
01/25/05 08:09 PM
01/25/05 08:09 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Michael's policy was that no traitor or enemy got a pass--ever. Fredo was an eventual dead man from the moment at the Superman show when Michael realized that Fredo betrayed him to Roth. The bit in the car in Havana ("You're still my brother, Fredo!") and his instruction to Tom when he got back to Nevada ("Tell him I understand that Roth misled him...") were both designed to lure Fredo back and keep Fredo alive until he could pump Fredo for more info--and to await Mama's passing so he could finally whack Fredo.
In sum: Michael didn't change his mind about Fredo--he was waiting for the opportune time to kill him.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21181
01/25/05 08:31 PM
01/25/05 08:31 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline OP
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline OP
Underboss
Ah, I see. Thank you.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21182
01/26/05 04:54 AM
01/26/05 04:54 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Michael's policy was that no traitor or enemy got a pass--ever. Fredo was an eventual dead man from the moment at the Superman show when Michael realized that Fredo betrayed him to Roth. The bit in the car in Havana ("You're still my brother, Fredo!") and his instruction to Tom when he got back to Nevada ("Tell him I understand that Roth misled him...") were both designed to lure Fredo back and keep Fredo alive until he could pump Fredo for more info--and to await Mama's passing so he could finally whack Fredo.
In sum: Michael didn't change his mind about Fredo--he was waiting for the opportune time to kill him.
I don't quite agree with you here. If he had that kind of plans in havana party, he wouldn't have disclosed his knowledge of Fredo's betrayal(The kissing scene). At that time, he was genuinely shocked that his brother had betrayed. He was not calm and composed enough to make plans at that time, like he later did with Roth (keeping enemies closer..). I think that during the car scene, michael did not know (or realize) to what extent Fredo was involved. And here is another subtle point of difference - I think that he did not know enough to get angry enough to plan Fredo's murder, whereas you say that since michael did not know enough, he wanted to keep him alive to get more info.

Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21183
01/26/05 08:29 AM
01/26/05 08:29 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
At first, he still loves Fredo and understands that he didn't know there was going to be a hit. Then after the talk he had with him, he completely changes his mind and tells Fredo that he no longer means anything to him, and obviously he later has him killed. I don't understand what happened between New Years Day in Havannah and after Michael talked with Fredo that made Michael order the hit.

Just to add on to what Turnbull said. Remember Michael's key phrase that he uttered to Frankie: "My father taught me to keep your friends close and your enemies closer." What better way to keep Fredo, his 'enemy', closer than to bring him back to Tahoe? The embrace at Mama's funeral was another extension of winning back Fredo's trust to keep him "closer."

They also did it the first film with Carlo. Once Vito figured out (it's explained better in the novel) that Carlo had a hand in Santino's death, Carlo & Connie were brought to live on the Mall. Then Mike makes it appear as if Carlo will be the "right hand man" in Nevada, thus keeping Carlo closer until the opportunity to have him killed arose.

Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21184
01/26/05 12:15 PM
01/26/05 12:15 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I'd like to weigh in here. I think that Michael hadn't made up his mind about what to do with his brother until after their talk. I think he believed that Fredo was "weak and stupid" and was probably misled. After hearing from Fredo's own mouth how truly discontent and angry he was about being "passed over" is, IMHO, when Michael decided that Fredo had to go. I think that is when he realized that Fredo's betrayal couldn't be forgiven or forgotten. Fredo's anger left Michael vulnerable to another betrayal, and that's what Michael couldn't risk. Then, he slowly bided his time until he had the perfect opportunity to kill him.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21185
01/26/05 12:26 PM
01/26/05 12:26 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Nicely put, SB. I agree that Mike hadn't made up his mind (about killing Fredo) until after their "talk" in the boathouse.

Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21186
01/26/05 12:34 PM
01/26/05 12:34 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

So that "kiss" that Michael planted on Fredo wasn't the kiss of death? Or is there such a thing? What did that kiss signify?

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21187
01/26/05 12:50 PM
01/26/05 12:50 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by Beth E:
So that "kiss" that Michael planted on Fredo wasn't the kiss of death? Or is there such a thing? What did that kiss signify?
Good question, Beth.

That certainly wasn't a brotherly love kiss, but I'm not quite sure it was a "kiss of death". Much like the situation with Mike killing Carlo, I believe Mike needed "proof" beyond doubt that Fredo was involved in the hit attempt. By Fredo admitting his role, he signed his own death warrant.

Yes, Mike realized Fredo was involved when Fredo "slipped" and said he had been to Cuba before with Johnny Ola, and Mike realized it, but IMO Mike was not prepared to kill Fredo at that time. I can't really back that up with fact... its just a gut feeling.

Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21188
01/26/05 01:46 PM
01/26/05 01:46 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Beth E:
Here's a full thread of answers for you. smile

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21189
01/26/05 03:53 PM
01/26/05 03:53 PM
South Jersey
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen Offline
Made Member
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen  Offline
Made Member
South Jersey
I always found that kiss at the Havana party so strange. Why does Michael kiss Fredo in this way? does anyone know who came up with this idea (FFC, Puzo, etc.) and what significance its supposed to have exactly?

"By the way, I admire your pictures very much."
- Tom Hagen
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21190
01/26/05 04:21 PM
01/26/05 04:21 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally posted by MistaMista_Tom_Hagen:
I always found that kiss at the Havana party so strange. Why does Michael kiss Fredo in this way? does anyone know who came up with this idea (FFC, Puzo, etc.) and what significance its supposed to have exactly?
That was is New Year kiss smile

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21191
01/26/05 07:51 PM
01/26/05 07:51 PM
Michigan
Lollie Offline
Made Member
Lollie  Offline
Made Member
Michigan
Actually, that kiss is/was not all that uncommon amongst Italian men. I remember seeing my grandparents, uncles and friends of the family kissing each other like that. It usually was over some big emotional occasion, either a wedding, birth of a baby, death, etc. There was no stigma associated to that kind of kiss between an Italian man and another Italian man who was either a relative or very, very close. I can't speak for other Italian groups or families, but that is how my family and friends of our family acted sometimes.

~~ Lolly

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21192
01/27/05 06:02 AM
01/27/05 06:02 AM
Scotland
D
Dave Moran Offline
Associate
Dave Moran  Offline
D
Associate
Scotland
I always figured that it was the moment Fredo explodes with rage about having been passed over. I even think you can place it to the exchange - and here I may paraphrase

Michael - that's the way Pop wanted it

Fredo - Well, it ain't the way I wanted it.

In that one exchange Fredo isn't just challenging Michael's right to rule, he's challenging Vito's. Thus, Fredo demonstrates that he has a dangerous ambition that surpasses common sense and the laws of respect for both Dons.

And that if he's got enough anger to do that, he might well do it again. I doubt Fredo ever realised he'd done it, I doubt it was a concious thought, just a moment of uncontrolled anger that revealed his unconcious desires and frustrations that would continue to fester below the surface.

warmest regards

dave

Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21193
01/27/05 07:21 AM
01/27/05 07:21 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
It might be not only that thing. Remember that when Fredo says at first,
"I didn't know it was gonna be a hit Mike, I swear to god I didn't know it was going to be a hit. Johnny Ola bumped into me in Beverly Hills, he said that he wanted to talk ,he said that you and Roth were in on a big deal together... And if they could get a little help and close the deal fast it'd be good for the family."
After that Michael asks only:"You believed that story!"
But Fredo, what an idiot, finds it necessary to draw his attention to one more point. He says:
"He said there was something in it for me, on my own. "
That he, in fact, sold his brother for money, or anyway for his own interests. If he thought he was acting for the good of the family, that might be some excuse in Michael's eyes, but after he said THAT...
And of course all he said after did not help him at all grin .
Why didn't Vito teach him to keep his mouth shut?

Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21194
01/27/05 08:52 PM
01/27/05 08:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Realistically: Can we actually believe Fredo when he said, "I swear to God, Mike, I didn't know it was gonna be a hit"? What did he open the curtains for--so Johnny Ola could peep at Kay getting undressed?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21195
01/28/05 05:57 AM
01/28/05 05:57 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Realistically: Can we actually believe Fredo when he said, "I swear to God, Mike, I didn't know it was gonna be a hit"? What did he open the curtains for--so Johnny Ola could peep at Kay getting undressed?
Sure, we cannot. But if he was clever enough to say that, he had to think a bit and not betray his own interest in this affair so stupidly.

Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21196
01/28/05 06:21 PM
01/28/05 06:21 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Imagine - Fredo pimping out his sister-in-law for Johnny Ola! I bet he's get more than an orange for doing it!! lol

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21197
02/04/05 02:39 AM
02/04/05 02:39 AM
BEIJING CHINA
4th Corleone Offline
Wiseguy
4th Corleone  Offline
Wiseguy
BEIJING CHINA
Originally posted by goombah:
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
[b] At first, he still loves Fredo and understands that he didn't know there was going to be a hit. Then after the talk he had with him, he completely changes his mind and tells Fredo that he no longer means anything to him, and obviously he later has him killed. I don't understand what happened between New Years Day in Havannah and after Michael talked with Fredo that made Michael order the hit.
Just to add on to what Turnbull said. Remember Michael's key phrase that he uttered to Frankie: "My father taught me to keep your friends close and your enemies closer." What better way to keep Fredo, his 'enemy', closer than to bring him back to Tahoe? The embrace at Mama's funeral was another extension of winning back Fredo's trust to keep him "closer."

They also did it the first film with Carlo. Once Vito figured out (it's explained better in the novel) that Carlo had a hand in Santino's death, Carlo & Connie were brought to live on the Mall. Then Mike makes it appear as if Carlo will be the "right hand man" in Nevada, thus keeping Carlo closer until the opportunity to have him killed arose. [/b]
i dont think so.Calo and Fredo.They r different.
we see,another theme of GF is love,love the whole family.whatever,Fredo is mikey's brother,a real brother,no matter what happens,nobody can change it,it's a fact!but calo is different,his name is not Corleone.so he's not a member of this family,he's just an enemy.
And in GF3,we heard mike said"i ordered my brother's death,i killed my mother's son,i killed my father's son".he still think Fredo is his brother,not an enemy.so "keep your enemy closer"is not for Fredo.IMO

“Don't lie to me. It insults my intelligence. It makes me very angry.”- Michael Coreleone
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21198
02/04/05 04:55 PM
02/04/05 04:55 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I do.

I base my belief on

1) Fredo's behavior earlier in the day at the party. He didn't seem to be acting like someone who knew that he was about to be responsible for the assassination of his brother.

2) The emotion Fredo displays when he tells Michael that he didn't know it was gonna be a hit.

3) The alternate script, in which Fredo was led to believe it would be a kidnapping.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: How/why does Michael change his attitude towards Fredo's betrayal? #21199
02/07/05 11:45 AM
02/07/05 11:45 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by plawrence:
3) The alternate script, in which Fredo was led to believe it would be a kidnapping.
And the kidnapping was, to be sure, the exact thing that would please Michael at that moment. A good idea and great fun, why not? lol

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull