GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 85 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,168
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,869
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gardner Shaw scene #5085
12/12/03 05:34 AM
12/12/03 05:34 AM
Mr. Perfect Offline OP
Made Member
Mr. Perfect  Offline OP
Made Member
FFC was wrong in editing this scene out of GFII, as some interesting parallels can be drawn - both with Vito's meetings in GF1 and between characters.

1. This was to be the first time we saw Michael in Part II (other than at the very beginning). Like Vito, we see him from behind, listening and nodding his head as his sister-in-law explains the couple's intentions to marry.

2. Like Vito, Michael is so respected that his siblings (or nieces here) request his blessing in marriage.

3. In the scene with Brasi, children run into the room and interrupt the proceedings. Similarly, Fredo disturbs Michael and Franseca’s conversation. Like a child, Fredo is told “not now, Freddy!!”, yet continues to let Michael know that Frankie is outside waiting.

4. When Michael greets Sonny’s now older, football-playing son, he says, “Santinnoooo” – like his father in another edited scene, who greets his son with a similarly long pronunciation of the name Santino.

Can any other parallels be drawn from this scene?

Re: Gardner Shaw scene #5086
12/12/03 08:26 AM
12/12/03 08:26 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
I don't know about more parallels, but by not including this scene the "family man" side of Michael is barely revealed in GF2. In GF2 we are shown the dark side of Michael's personality. This deleted scene shows the warm, compassionate Michael - the parallel to Vito. You wonder what FCC's reason was for cutting it. To paint a more sinister Michael? time constraints? to NOT have a parallel with Vito? We can only guess.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Gardner Shaw scene #5087
12/12/03 12:38 PM
12/12/03 12:38 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect:
2. Like Vito, Michael is so respected that his siblings (or nieces here) request his blessing in marriage.

When did we see anyone asking Vito's blessing in marriage? If anything, the flashback scene at the end of GFII seems to indicate that Sonny gave his blessing to Connie and Carlo's marriage--Vito obviously had no respect for Carlo ("...never discuss the family business in front of him"). And we don't see or hear of Michael asking Vito's permission to marry Apollonia. Also, Vito's only sibling, Paolo, was killed before Vito came to America.

4. When Michael greets Sonny’s now older, football-playing son, he says, “Santinnoooo” – like his father in another edited scene, who greets his son with a similarly long pronunciation of the name Santino.[/QUOTE]

This tiny but very important interchange was cut out of the Gardiner Shaw scene on the DVD "extras" disc. Too bad, because it gives us a clue to the age of Sonny's kids. [BTW: how do you know he plays football? Did I miss something?]
Originally posted by MaryCas:
In GF2 we are shown the dark side of Michael's personality. This deleted scene shows the warm, compassionate Michael - the parallel to Vito. You wonder what FCC's reason was for cutting it. To paint a more sinister Michael? time constraints? to NOT have a parallel with Vito? We can only guess.
Probably it was cut to save time. I don't disagree that it shows a "warmer" side to Michael, MC--particularly when he said he'd been like a father to Francesca. But I also detected more than a hint of calculation and manipulation in his tone to Gardiner--he gives him that cold, Michael Corleone gaze and asks how he intends to support his bride on a fine arts degree. That's something that an ultra-WASP (like Gardiner) would ask an Italian guy who wanted to marry his daughter. Michael's also plenty calculating when he tells Tom, "Make sure her dowry's big: these people believe Italian brides go barefoot."
(Note to MP and MC: I agree that this--and all the deleted scenes--should have been included. Every one of them is worth watching and adds something to our understanding, especially the Gardiner Shaw scene and the Genco deathbed scene. That's why the TV "Saga" version is the best one.)

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Gardner Shaw scene #5088
12/12/03 12:57 PM
12/12/03 12:57 PM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

This is one of my favorite deleted scenes and wish they hadn't taken it out. It would have shown a stark contrast between how Michael reacted to his niece's marriage announcement and his sister's marriage announcement. When he was asked with respect, the family-side of Michael came out, but when asked disrespectfully by his sister, his Family-side roared back.

Re: Gardner Shaw scene #5089
12/12/03 07:39 PM
12/12/03 07:39 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect:

4. When Michael greets Sonny’s now older, football-playing son, he says, “Santinnoooo” – like his father in another edited scene, who greets his son with a similarly long pronunciation of the name Santino.
Please tell me about these scenes. I've watched every deleated scene and never seen this one.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Gardner Shaw scene #5090
12/13/03 06:15 PM
12/13/03 06:15 PM
USA
Don Pope Offline
Underboss
Don Pope  Offline
Underboss
USA
yea ive never seen that deleted scene either

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" -Micheal Corleone

"Suck it up, take the fall, do the time. That makes you what you are, that makes you who you are." -John Gotti

"you heard of the new chinese godfather? He made em an offer they couldnt understand" -Corrado Soprano

"Ahhh, im gonna go wash up" -Paulie Gultiari
Re: Gardner Shaw scene #5091
12/17/03 08:29 PM
12/17/03 08:29 PM
East coast
tripwire Offline
Button
tripwire  Offline
Button
East coast
Turnbull - which other scenes are cut out of the DVD set? mad

"Onoratu circulu a tutti vi salutu
Finu a la morti a vui su vinculatu
Lo fazzu l'omu pi sangu e onori."
Re: Gardner Shaw scene #5092
12/17/03 09:41 PM
12/17/03 09:41 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by tripwire:
Turnbull - which other scenes are cut out of the DVD set? mad
As far as I can tell, the most important scene that was included in the TV version but left out of the DVD "extras" disc is one that follows Hagen's call to Bonasera after Sonny's assassination. In this deleted scene, Bonasera is getting dressed to meet the Don in his funeral parlor. He complains bitterly to his wife, thinking that the Corleones have killed someone so important that they need him, a registered undertaker, to bury the guy--and then the other families will come after him. "I curse the day that you and Commore [Godmother] Corleone became friends," he concludes. Very dramatic!
On the other hand, the DVD set includes a brief look at Kay, wearing a mantilla, lighting candles in church. Though I can't be sure, I don't believe that scene was included in the TV version. It's important because the novel notes that, following the Great Massacre of 1955, Kay took instruction in the Catholic Church so she could go with Mama Corleone every day and light candles for her her husband to save his soul.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull