"One size doesn't fit all in this scenario"
I agree NYMAFIA. This is a subjective situation. One thought that came to mind is the fact that, CN aren't doing hits like the old days. That makes it easy for some of these well earning Associates to protect their businesses. And if you couple that with having alot of "friends", it may be smarter to not get made.

I mean in the 70s Billy Batts Bentvena was a made guy( of varying levels of importance) and he couldn't protect his business or save his own life. We could assume that happened 100 times over with Associates. For me, if you are so criminally savvy, why deal with the mob at all if you don't want a button??? Why? Because its "safer" now?

If I was a Boss or a Capo for that matter and you turned down a button, you'd better have alot of "friends" speaking up for you lol
You'll be thinking life is good then the story would go "yeah he came in the club that one night, then he just vanished...."

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano