Originally Posted by NickyfromTampa
Originally Posted by ralphie_cifaretto
Originally Posted by NickyfromTampa
The official Mafia term for "associate" means somebody is "on record" with a wiseguy, like Donnie Brasco with Lefty, also the media definitely uses it more loosely. I personally believe that when the FBI uses the term associate, they are referring to guys that are "on record," meaning they work for the mob and are under the mob's protection. I don't think this really applies to bikie gangsters or members of other organized crime units, and I've never seen a bikie referred to as a Mafia associate.
Also, in today's day and age, local politicians and businessmen would make up a very small percentage of the Mafia associates referred to in FBI figures, simply due to the fact that the Mafia's grip on legitimate industries has really loosened over time. I would say the 750 associates in the Gambino Family are "on record" guys. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say a soldier could have six guys under him. Some Italian, some not. Some might be proposed for membership, most not. When we see big, bread-and-butter, street-level busts, the number of associates far outranks the number of made guys.

The media doesn't just use the term loosely. Mob guys themselves use the term loosely. To them, an associate is anyone who is "with" the family but without a button. Meaning it could be a politician, a corrupt cop, a local businessman or a street guy who is on the record. You are wrong in believing that the guys who are on the record represent the majority of those associates. In fact, they only represent about 15 to 20% of the total number of associates. Most are indeed businessmen and criminals who are not on the record. It's much harder for them to find a real street guy than it is for them to get somebody who manages a nightclub to come under their umbrella. If you were familiar with the dynamics of NY then this wouldn't even be a question in your mind. By the way, you are on point with everything else you said. I hope me and you can bury the hatchet someday wink.

Me too, Ralphie, no point making enemies.
If the number of "on-record" associates only makes up 15-20% of the associates that the FBI lists, then that would imply there are not very many "on-record" associates. Take the Colombos. The New Jersey State of Organized Crime report in 2004 (http://mafianj.com/sci2004/colombo.shtml) listed the Colombos at 112 members and around 500 associates. I'd wager that the number of "on-record" associates compared to made members (for the Colombos) is at least 3:1, probably more. The Jan. 2011 bust showed far more associates than made members in or around Big Anthony Russo's crew. In the 2010 bust of John Franzese, Sonny was the only "made guy" indicted - all of his goons and henchmen were associates, presumably "on-record." In the March 2010 bust, Theodore Persico Jr. and Tom Petrizzo were the only two made guys in a list of eight defendants, most of which were fulltime mob henchmen. What my point is, I guess, is that it would not surprise me at all if the 112:500 figure for made members vs. associates in the Colombos represents only "on-record" associates. Remember, most active soldiers have at least a couple of on-record guys under them to do the dirty work.

I see now where you're coming from. The FBI tends to only label 'on the record' guys as associates, something you accurately stated. Those are the guys we are most interested in learning about, the guys who are on the street and belong to a crew. What I was pointing to are guys who are considered to be 'with' a certain family, but aren't considered 'on the record' street guys. These guys are mostly business people and people who are in legitimate positions doing the mob's bidding. In 2004, the Bonannos had some 2500 people who fit this category. According to Cicale, Basciano came up with around 3000 people he counted as 'associates'. Now they obviously went with the broad definition of the word and they included street guys on the record (a total of around 500).