Even though it's hearsay from people who weren't directly involved in that family, here is Vincent Cafaro's account of what happened:

"I also know Vic Amuso, who succeeded Buddy Luongo (Anthony Luongo) as boss of the Lucchese family. I remember discussing Luongo and Amuso with "Ralph the General" (Ralph Tutino), a Lucohese associate who was recently convicted in New York on federal drug charges. In December 1986, Ralph told me "Buddy's missing - he had an appointment in Brooklyn with Little Vic (meaning Amuso) and he never came back." A few days later, Ralph told me that Eddie Coco, "Mac" (Mariano Macaluso), and Vic Amuso were now running things for the Lucchese family. Luongo was never heard from again. Sammy Santora later told me that Luongo bad been murdered and that he believed that "the guy from Brooklyn" was responsible. I know "the guy from Brooklyn" to be "Little Vic" (Victor Amuso), the then consigliere of the Lucchese family. Amuso's mentor was "Christy Tick", who was and still is in prison, who backed Amuso in his bid for power. Eddie Coco is the power behind Amuso. Even though Amuso is boss, he takes counsel from Eddie Coco."

That's from an affidavit at the end of the "25 Years After Valachi" hearings. I don't know about Amuso ever being consigliere, but it's still interesting. Especially the Eddie Coco angle.