Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] Tokyo Story ***
(First Viewing)

Moved a little slow but very enjoyable with a touching story/message to it.
The only film in tsp's top 10 list I haven't seen. Doesn't sound that interesting. [/b][/quote]I hope that doesn't dissuade you from attempting to get into Ozu. There are many genius filmmakers, but Ozu I think is really deserving of really being considered one of the few greatest of the greatest.

Ozu doesn't have imaginative plots or stories; they're pretty straightforward. They are, despite their variations (large and small), about family.

His characters aren't larger than life, but that's what's so great about them. Often times, people say they love cinema because there are edification possibilities; portrayals of the human condition; insight; or reflection of life...no matter how personal or indiosyncratic the auteur's world (themes and techniques, etc.) is.

His characters are everyday people. The relatable/resonance factor goes through the roof in his films.

"Tokyo Story," while in my opinion not his greatest film, shines because of his ability to capture family and the conflicts/relation between generations and age.

One might say, "Yeah, films about family?...big deal." But, most family portrayals are extreme: dysfunctional or sappy. Ozu's are beyond gross generalizations.

As for his visual style, Ozu was very much experimental. There are more ways to craft a cinematic visual style than a moving camera!

A great intro to Ozu, of the ones I've seen, would be "Late Spring" (I think his best work) or "Record of a Tenement Gentleman."