Spoilers Alert - Do not read further if you haven't seen the movie and don't want it spoiled.

Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
In the Mood for Love
2000/Kar-wai
BTW, Wong is his last name. That is assuming you were using Kar-wai as his last name like you would Scorsese or Hitchcock.

Quote:
A visually brilliant film, thoroughly succesful in both pleasing the viewer's eye as well as telling a story and expressing character's feelings without any dialogue. I found it interesting that director Wong Kar-wai was seemingly able to tell us more about the emotional state of our characters in the segments set to music than in any other verbal exchange. And by the way, what music it was. I immediately downloaded the repeated theme right after I was done, great little piece of music.
The waltz he used alluded to the "dance"/"romance"/"interaction" between the two characters. In addition to the theme music, Yumeji's Theme , which was orignally composed for Suzuki's Yumeji, the soundtrack is great. Included are the Spanish language Nat King Cole songs used in the film, the Beijing opera music, and Bryan Ferry's version of the standard, In The Mood For Love .

Quote:
I also really appreciated Kar-wai's apparent determination to never shoot his character's straight on. There's always things distorting or abstracting our view, which worked to make every shot more interesting to look at. He was also able to make some of the best use of mirrors I've seen in a long while.
The reason why he framed shots behind screens, through windows, behind walls, etc., was to make the audience feel like a neighbor eavesdropping. On a related note, Wong's decision to never show the spouses' faces or have them offscreen is remarkable and extremely effective. As for the mirror motif, it visually expresses the "double" concept: Mr. Chow and Mrs. Chan's shared situation; Mr. and Mrs. Chow compared to Mrs. Chow and Mr. Chan; Mr. and Mrs. Chan compared to Mr. Chan and Mrs. Chow; Mr. Chow compared to Mr. Chan; Mrs. Chan compared to Mrs. Chow, etc. BTW, the short story that inspired Wong is title "Tete Beche" (inverted postage stamps).

Quote:
As for other high points, anyone who's seen this film knows that the incredible set decoration and costume design go without saying. Kar-wai crafts a sort of romanticized, colorful, almost dreamlike recreation of the early 60's, to the point where the viewers almost feel as if they are seeing the events on screen as fond memories, somewhat embellished over time in the character's minds.
Adding to that romanticized and dreamlike memories concept is Wong's use of literary intertitles. It lends this story a timelessness. A sense that it did indeed happen; thus, contained within time at the same time.

Quote:
All in all, this was to be a four star film but I felt the ending was somewhat lacking. The meaning of the news reel clip showing the Cambodian President arriving went over my head, as well the poetry at the end. I felt as though all of the sexual tension build up and the sense of tragic loss was somewhat wasted in the conclusion. This may have been somewhat due to the fact that my borrowed DVD started skipping in the closing minutes and I had to stop and then skip around, but overall any intended emotional response was lost on me.
That is a fair criticism if indeed this film was only about the potential love affair and the infidelity. But, the bigger purpose of the film is 60's Hong Kong as remembered from Wong's childhood and 60's Asia. Its Hong Kong title translates to Flower Like Years, indicating an era that has past. More specifically, Wong recalls cramped living conditions, neighbors gossiping, etc., all extremely imporant narratively and thematically. We see the social constraints on the main characters. Love is used to explore the bigger concerns of memory, time, and nostalgia.

The literary intertitles, from a novel not a poem, reiterates Wong's themes. Themes which have dominated Wong's body of work so far.

Wong addressed the Singapore and Cambodia sections. Specifically in regards to Cambodia, they already made the decision to have the character at the Angkor Wat ruins in Cambodia. So, they had to find a narrative justification for the character being there. He was a journalist, so a major news event around that time was the French president's visit to Cambodia.

Secondly, Wong felt he needed to jolt the audience with news/documentary footage to distance themselves from the two characters for the purpose of contemplation and putting their situation into a much wider social context.

Lastly, the sexual tension and loss is not weakened or lost in the Cambodia section (the finale). In fact, it is strengthened. Dont' we see Mr. Chow bear his soul and secret into the hole in the temple wall? Considerable time has passed since his time spent with Mrs. Chan. We see how much and how long the loss has affected him; so much so, that he had to unburden himself. In my opinion, it strengthens what we saw earlier.

Quote:
And am I mistaken, or did this never happen?

Or this?

Didn't the two main characters never get together? Did I miss something? Anyway, good film, close to being great.
You're right. They never did get together. The first image is a deleted scene. The second picture is a production still and/or deleted scene used for publicity (posters and press kits).