Lucky Star
2002/Mann

I had remembered reading about this a while back and decided to look it up on youtube today. This is a 2 1/2 minute preview for a fake film, "Lucky Star," which tells the story of a character named Mr H., played by Benicio Del Toro, who is seemingly always lucky. There is no director credited, but I did a little research and found to my surprise that Mr. Michael Mann himself directed. It's tough to tell on the small screen, but it looks like it might be some early experimentation with DV. And this little short has all the trademarks of Mann's work too; stylish lighting, atmospheric music, fast cars, etc.

The interesting thing about the whole thing is that it's actually an advertisement for Mercedes Benz. A silver Benz features in the preview, although it is highlighted in no way that would indicate it's an advertisement of any kind. This was shown in theaters and on television in Britain, and many people thought it was a real film. It's interesting to see what Mann and Del Toro were able to do with the simple premise.

If anyone's interested in seeing this, go to youtube.com and search Lucky Star Benicio.

I dream in widescreen.