Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[quote]Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
[qb]Wolf Creek
Glad you enjoyed it Capo. I really dug it in the theaters, but not as much on DVD. At the time I would have said I liked Wolf Creek more than Hostel but today I'd say the opposite was true. [/quote]Yeah, I saw it at the cinema too, and it's obviously more impressive on the big screen, but held up quite well on the small screen, I thought.

Dramolet (Stille Nacht I)
Timothy Quay / Stephen Quay
1988 UK (1st & 2nd time; YouTube)
A puppet overlooks a room being invaded by a strange hair-like substance.
The first in the Quay brothers' Stille Nacht series, a visually unsettling piece of work with much atmosphere bursting out of its minute-long duration.

Are We Still Married? (Stille Nacht II)
1991 UK (1st & 2nd time; YouTube)
Synopses are dangerously reductive to the Quay Brothers' work: a rabbit mimics a small child's foot movements…?
The visual influence of the two is clear throughout: are those opening white-on-black eyes not the same as Papa Lazarou's in The League of Gentlemen? The filmmakers pay homage to films, too, with reference to The Wizard of Oz in particular, with a pair of heeled shoes paid especial attention to, as a rabbit tries to mimic the "human" movements. Lynch's Rabbits, anyone? It's all pretty surreal, creepy stuff, not least of due to the music.

Can't Go Wrong Without You (Stille Nacht IV)
1993 UK (1st time; YouTube)
Death pulls a string through a key-hole, on the other side of which sits a rabbit in a deck-chair.
More stuff of visual interest, hauntingly surreal and about nothing in particular; you can search for all the allegory you want in this, but in the end it is far more interesting as a work presenting only itself.

Dog Door (Stille Nacht V)
2001 UK (1st time; YouTube)
A dog masturbates over a spread-eagled doll.
Probably the most narratively coherent of the series, with the most blatant symbolism too; a rather violent take on sexuality, with the dog's hand movements particularly (and suitably) crude. You get the feeling that with a bigger budget the Quays could make something really profound, both weird and rational, along the lines of their Street of Crocodiles, instead of films which can be defended simply as "dream-like" or Dadaist...though they are impressive to watch.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?