CLUB DREAD (2004) - ***

I love BROKEN LIZARD. It's official. A comedy troupe of guys that met while part of a Frat House at Colgate University, they obviously are smart, except instead of trying to prove people that they are, instead they just simply want to be smart with the frathouse humor.

While SUPER TROOPERS was a joke on those 70's cop-genre movies, CLUB DREAD is almost a perfect joke on the slasher titty movies of the 1980s.

In fact, CLUB DREAD is a smarter and actually funnier take-off of this particular genre than the ridiculously popular and overrated SCARY MOVIE franchise.

For one thing, CLUB DREAD is so directed well on the conventions and directorial cliches of slasher flicks, that if you took out the humor of it, you would have probably a legitimate if forgettable slasher movie. Now THAT is remarkable(I guess).

Two, you gotta love the moments in this movie that bust my gut.

"Peen-ah-lope"!

*Corpse of guy flying, so fake and silly, into boathouse*

Pac-Man sex game in maze!

"We have jungle rats?!?!?"

"I think I'll need to *pump* her for more information!"

better yet, Bill Paxton just rules as Coconut Pete, the poor man's Jimmy Buffett(with the latter apparently a big fan of the movie. Hey, that's cred!), truely a burned-out margarita-drinking 70's rock star who is now stuck to running a stupid Club Med-like island.

What I like was something that was entirely risky for a group that just had a cult/DVD hit with SUPER TROOPERS, the troupe decided to switch their perspective roles. Instead of being the slick and commandering leader in TROOPERS, Chandrasekhar(also the director of this film) is now the pussy, possibly narcicistic gay tennis pro. Hefferman isn't the white trash personification of "Farva", but now the actual hero, and so on.

In a way, the group is actually more daring than the great MONTY PYTHON, for Chapman was almost always the straight man, Cleese the serious-but-daffy cheeseball, Idle the crazy nutcracker, Palin the goofball, Jones the women's-clothes-wearing guy, etc. I know, sacrilige. Go ahead, stone me.

BEERFEST, apparently a joke on those fucking silly 80's "tournament fight" movies like BLOODSPORT and KICKBOXER, but as well the FIGHT CLUB of drinking, it should be a hoot.