Collateral (2004;Mann)

This is my 3rd time watching this film...and it gets more enjoyable each time. I've never been really impressed with Tom Cruise's acting skills, but I thought he did an exceptional job. But this was definitely Jamie Foxx's movie. For the first 3/4 of the film...he's Vincent's helpless little hostage. That all changes after they visit Max's mother at the hospital, when Max throws his laptop off the bridge. When Vincent sends Max into the club to talk to his contractors...Max takes control. These guys think Max is Vincent...and Foxx uses that to magical effect. After this moment...Max takes control. This transition from helpless hostage to a man that won't take it anymore is simply magical...and Foxx pulled it off effortlessly.

This has become one of my top 5 favorite films...with Michael Mann becoming one of my favorite directors. I can't wait to see Miami Vice.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis