Thelma & Louise
1991/Scott

Enjoyable film, my 4th Ridley Scott. His direction style, while not neccesarily unique in any way, just seems incredibly solid. Watching one of his films you really just get the feeling you're in good hands and he knows what he's doing. I never find myself wishing he'd shot something a different way.

The story itself, while entertaining, wasn't exactly deep thought matter for me, but I realized watching this that I'd do anything to be able to make a film that just looks like this one does. There's something extraordinarily beautiful about late 80's/early 90's film stock, or maybe it was lighting techniques, I don't know, but films like this, and Goodfellas, and Born on the Fourth of July, and several others I can't recall at the moment made in the 87-93 range, just have that certain feel and look to them that I've come to love.

Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon worked well together here, each adapting to their country accents adequately. One notable aspect of the film was the fact that even though the central theme was female empowerment, and our two main characters were females, I was glad Ridley Scott took the time to make sure he got strong actors for each of his supporting male roles. Rounding out the cast with Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen, Christopher McDonald, and a young Brad Pitt just really made it that much better.

Overall, this was a good film. It was kind of ruined for me last spring break when I went to the Grand Canyon and read about how the ending of this movie caused a number of copycat Grand Canyon suicides, so I already knew the finale. And the one thing I really didn't like was some of Scott's music choices, but hey, I guess that's 1991 for you.

4/5 Stars

EDIT: Interesting side note, after consulting my many movie lists, I realized that according to theyshootpictures.com's top 1000 movies list, I've now seen 17 of the top 20 films released in US in 90's. All I've got left is Schindler's List, The Silence of the Lambs, and To Sleep With Anger. Pretty much gives you a complete picture of what the film scene of the decade was like.

I dream in widescreen.