Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
The execution felt a little bit anti-climactic, but I did really like the build-up to it. The lone scene afterwards, the young lawyer alone in the meadow, which I assume was the one that Jarek described to him from his childhood, shouting to himself, was effective but not exactly tear-jerking or anything.

What did you find so haunting about it? And is it any different in the full version?
I don't find the final shot tearjerking; in fact I find it rather unnecessary. I think the sudden change, in the execution scene, from a 'tough', silent wanderer to a babbling goner in desperation in the face of death is captured with heartrending abruptiveness, and I think it's one of the most powerful scenes in the entire ten films.

To me, that's the film's strong-point: two merciless killings in two entirely different contexts, one unlawful, the other sanctioned by the State, and both utterly repelling. It's the reason why I prefer the shorter version; much more succinct.

The longer version doesn't add much; Jerek visits his girlfriend after the killing - she turns out to be the same gal the taxi driver was perving on. (Though the murder remains without motive.)

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?