Dekalog, trzy
1988/Kieslowski

The third installment, and definitely my favorite so far. The entire story takes place in one night, Christmas Eve, which allows for Kieslowski to light the film using lots of shadows and christmas lights. This mix shows up beautifully on the low-quality, late 80's film stock that's used, resulting in a nice effect that reminded me of Thief. The plot here was the most interesting thus far as well, with a nice chemistry going between our two main characters, who are ex-lovers. The plot and the solitary urban setting reminded me almost of a 40's noir film. Kieslowski also suceeds in executing some of his best camera movements so far in the series.

4/5 Stars

Dekalog, cztery
1988/Kieslowski

An interesting chapter. Kieslowski again uses a dual main character setup, and actually gives the viewers a little more exposition this time around, as we come to feel like we know our characters better here than in the other segments. This story revolves around a 20-year old girl who discovers a letter from her long-deceased mother revealing that her "father" is not really her father. Although I wasn't sure about the slightly sexually suggestive turn the relationship took from there, overall the chemistry was interesting. I didn't quite understand the message behind this one as much as the other parts so far, so it was subsequently probably my least favorite. Still solid though, Kieslowski continues to impress.

3/5 Stars

I dream in widescreen.