That's great Capo, thanks for the description. I'll have to look into finding that.

Last Year at Marienbad
1961/Resnais

This was a fantastically mysterious film. The beautifully haunting opening sequence, with graceful, smooth, uninteruppted tracking shots taken at odd angles down a hotel corridor draws you right in and immediately sets the style and tone for the film. Resnais uses unnamed characters, heavy symbolism, and his complex mixture of dreams, fantasies, nightmares, memories, reality, and subconcious is stunning, in a bewildering sort of way.

I recently saw this listed as one of the most confusing films of all time, and it was this intriguing label that made me seek out the movie. This description plays out in full. Resnais strategically places quick segments of staccato editing and emotionally disturbing scenes in between the long eerie scenes of the regular story which is always accompanied by a ghostly organ score. I look forward to rewatches not to try to understand, but simply to expierience what Resnais has put together.

5/5 Stars

I dream in widescreen.