A few months back, I decided I was going to pick a specific year in history which I felt saw the release of a lot of good films, and then I would thoroughly go through what I deemed to be all of the good movies released that year. The first year I picked was 1995, and although I never completed my list of movies to see from that year, I stumbled across these, the ones that I did finish, and figured I'd post them.

Note: These are all done in my old stlye of reviews.

12 Monkeys (Terry Gilliam)
Starring Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt, and Madeleine Stowe
Direction – 21/25
Acting – 21/25
Story – 14//20
Rewatchability – 14/20
Music – 6/10
TOTAL = 76%
3/5 Stars
Decent science fiction film with an amazing concept that is only pulled off half-heartedly. Kind of felt like a weak attempt at a Kubrick film, reminds the viewer of A Clockwork Orange or 2001: A Space Odyssey in its style and tone. Brad Pitt’s Oscar-nominated supporting role was only interesting for the first 15 minutes he was on screen. Bruce Willis and Madeleine Stowe were both decent, although Stowe felt kind of expendable, didn’t exactly bring anything to the role that another actress couldn’t have. Gilliam’s direction was kind of TV-ish looking at times, not dark enough for the storyline. Good storytelling though, interesting character development. Overall, the film could’ve gone a little deeper, it was a bit too comical at times, but I guess that’s just Gilliam’s style.

Leaving Las Vegas (Mike Figgis)
Starring Nicolas Cage and Elisabeth Shue
Direction – 17/25
Acting – 22/25
Story – 14/20
Rewatchability – 13/20
Music – 5/10
TOTAL = 71%
2.5/5 Stars
An amateurly directed film with solid performances from Nicolas Cage and Elisabeth Shue being the only things that save it. Figgis’s direction felt kind of TV-ish, a lot of really basic, hand-held camera shots that didn’t work in favor of the film. Cage’s Oscar-winning performance seemed like just another Cage performance, really no different than most of his other work, maybe just a little bit more over the top. Elisabeth Shue was really nothing special either, she played her role well, kind of steely at times, couldn’t tell whether this was accidental or not. Figgis kind of implied that the viewers would understand how the two main characters fell in love too much, didn’t really offer any explanation. Cage and Shue never really had excellent chemistry together either. The music was really bad at times, just some strange choices at times by Figgis, like playing the same Sting-covering-Sinatra song over and over, in a number of scenes with completely different tones. The whole film just kind of seemed like an amateur effort and a mess.

Apollo 13 (Ron Howard)
Starring Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinise, and Ed Harris
Direction – 23/25
Acting – 21/25
Story – 18/20
Rewatchability – 17/20
Music – 9/10
TOTAL = 88%
4/5 Stars
There isn’t much to be said negatively about this film; a near-perfectly directed movie by Ron Howard with solid performances from the great ensemble cast. Accompany that with a interesting story enhanced by Howard’s attention to detail, an excellent story composition with three settings running inter-cut with one another, and a nice score emphasizing the emotions of the film, and there is little to dislike. My only criticisms would be that it is maybe a bit overlong, although not ridiculously so at 2 hours and 20 minutes, and like many of Howard’s films, it gets kind of over-sentimental, cutesy, and corny at times. A more dramatic and psychological angle could’ve been taken, making it a bit of a deeper film, but these were not the intentions of the film. If one considers the finished product against the director’s intentions, it is essentially flawless.

The American President (Rob Reiner)
Starring Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, and Richard Dreyfuss
Direction – 21/25
Acting – 20/25
Story – 16/20
Rewatchability – 14/20
Music – 8/10
TOTAL = 79%
3/5 Stars
A drama/romantic comedy directed by Rob Reiner about a bachelor president who falls in love with a political lobbyist in an election year. A superb cast, headed up by Michael Douglas at his usual best. I liked Michael J. Fox in what I feel may have been the first movie I ever saw him in, and Martin Sheen and Richard Dreyfuss provide nice support for the alternate aspects of the story. Annette Bening also seemed kind of perfect for her role; not too feminine enough to be an un-convincing hardnosed lobbyist, but nice enough to make a believable romantic interest. She also really looked the part, with the Hillary Clinton-like hair. Reiner’s direction is solid, not really taking any chances, but sometimes doing a conventional film extremely well has its payoffs. Reiner also was able to effectively mix the love story in with the political developments pretty well, without either overtaking the other in screen time. Ultimately, a conventional film with a solid cast and strong if not predictable direction.

Things to Do in Denver When You’re Dead (Gary Fleder)
Starring Andy Garcia, Christopher Walken, Steve Buscemi, Christopher Lloyd, and William Forsythe
Direction – 20/25
Acting – 22/25
Story – 18/20
Rewatchability – 18/20
Music – 7/10
TOTAL = 85%
3.5/5 Stars
A slick crime film in the vein of Pulp Fiction, with somewhat flawed but forgivable direction by rookie feature film director Gary Fleder. The pacing of the story and the character development worked fine, and even had some really inspired moments at times, but there were consistent problems with the cinematography and lighting. Everything was always a bit too colorful and fake looking, it tends to remind the viewers of theater lighting, like for a play almost. Andy Garcia is excellent here, every film I see him in makes me want to see more of his work. He executes both the dramatic and comedic sides of his character masterfully, and holds a really formidable presence throughout. Although the film is very clearly influenced by Pulp Fiction in its efforts to be “cool”, it doesn’t go overboard, and the added touches of old-style gangsters and the mafia and here and there give it a sense of tradition, as opposed to going for the out and out, new, hip, cool type approach. The story works especially well, starting off kind of slow and predictable but ultimately forming into a nice composition which leads to an interesting ending. Overall, good early work from Garcia, a surprisingly good film for a rookie screenwriter and director, with a strong supporting cast and an interesting story.

Dead Man Walking (Tim Robbins)
Starring Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn, Robert Prosky, and R. Lee Ermey
Direction – 23/25
Acting – 24/25
Story – 17/20
Rewatchability – 16/20
Music – 9/10
TOTAL = 89%
4/5 Stars
A dark and thought-provoking character study of a men on death row and a nun who advises him spiritually. A really great and powerful film, with surprisingly solid direction by Tim Robbins. The film had the feel of an established director but still retained moments of flare that showed it was the work of an innovator. Susan Sarandon turns in a simply fantastic performance, better than anything she’s ever done, before or since, and Sean Penn goes against his normal character type to play a deeply fanatical Southern man. There was great balance between the two main characters, and there is no doubt that Sarandon deserved her Best Actress Oscar, and Sean Penn seems to have a been a strong contender for Best Actor as well. This film also had exceptionally great music, always really adding to the tone and style of the film, never hampering it. Add in an incredibly interesting story, and you will find one of the best of the year.

Before Sunrise (Richard Linklater)
Starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy
Direction – 24/25
Acting – 25/25
Story – 17/20
Rewatchability – 17/20
Music – 7/10
TOTAL = 90%
4/5 Stars
A simplistic and incredibly minimalist study of love and blossoming relationships as exemplified by a young couple who meet on a fateful night in Vienna. Perfectly acted by really the only two characters with more than 10 minutes of screen time in the whole film, played by Ethan Hawke with a surprisingly amazing performance, and the little-known Julie Delpy. Richard Linklater was wise to try to make this film nothing more than what it wants to be; a beautiful study of two strangers falling in love. It seems as though films set entirely in the space of one 24-hour-or-less period don’t really seem to work as there’s no room for true character and story development, but with so much of the film focused on our two main players, there was no cause for complaint. The film also did a fantastic job of keeping the story very simple while not losing the viewer’s interest, which a film of this type runs the risk of. This is also some of the greatest writing I’ve ever heard, so realistic, compelling, and interesting, and always remaining true to the characters. The only slight problem with the film was the lack of music, although repeat viewings may lead the viewer’s feeling as though this adds to the reality and atmosphere of the film. Besides that one minor flaw, a really fantastic film in all other aspects.

Richard III (Richard Loncraine)
Starring Ian McKellen, Annette Bening, Jim Broadbent, Robert Downey Jr., and Maggie Smith
Direction – 23/25
Acting – 23/25
Story – 18/20
Rewatchability – 15/20
Music – 7/10
TOTAL = 86%
4/5 Stars
A polished and intriguing Shakespearean adaptation set in an imagined 1930’s Britain where a Nazi-like regime comes to power. Ian McKellen, taking both the acting and screenwriting chairs, really steals the show among this great ensemble cast. His performance is spectacular; portraying Richard’s evil to its true extent, showing his deceit and manipulation of others with charm, and sometimes narrating directly to the camera in some of the funniest and most powerful moments of the film. Throughout the entire film, there was fantastic set direction, costume design, lighting, and cinematography, giving the stellar cast a great backdrop to display their talents. Loncraine continuously chose interesting shots, all structured so well. He and McKellen together create a truly chilling portrait of a slightly mad, power-hungry dictator; charming and proper in public, but scheming and murderous behind closed doors. The film’s commitment to mostly Shakespearean dialogue took some getting used to, but eventually ended up adding to the wonderful style and tone of the film, and it never hurt the flow of the story or muddled the plot. And was I the only one who noticed the Dr. Strangelove reference in the end? Ultimately, a great character study that is both technically and creatively stunning.

The Crossing Guard (Sean Penn)
Starring Jack Nicholson, David Morse, Anjelica Houston, and Robin Wright Penn
Direction – 16/25
Acting – 20/25
Story – 10/20
Rewatchability – 5/20
Music – 5/10
TOTAL = 56%
0/5 Stars
Bottom line, this was a pretty horrible film. Penn directs with little skill, Nicholson delivers a mediocre performance, Morse seems miscast, Houston doesn’t have much to do, and Wright-Penn has a really erratic character who’s only on screen for 20 minutes. The story is a mess, including the beginning, middle, and end. Only recommded for die-hard Nicholson fans.

Rob Roy (Michael Caton-Jones)
Starring Liam Neeson, Jessica Lange, John Hurt, Tim Roth, and Brian Cox
Direction – 23/25
Acting – 23/25
Story – 17/20
Rewatchability – 16/20
Music – 10/10
TOTAL = 89%
4/5 Stars
This film successfully brings together good storytelling, well-defined and interesting characters, great music, settings, and locations, and overall, a wonderful sense of authenticity. It is able to expertly navigate the dangerous waters of telling a heart-warming story without falling into clichéd cheesiness. Liam Neeson seems like he was born to play his role, literally, as he completely looks, sounds, and acts the part to perfection. The film also nicely utilizes and showcases the beautiful Scottish countryside, accented by wonderful lighting, cinematography, and shot choice by Caton-Jones. Tim Roth plays the malicious Archibald Cunningham to devilish perfection in an Oscar-nominated performance. Brian Cox is also excellent as the scheming Killearn. The only real problems here would be the story which kind of dragged at parts, which led to a bit of an over-long running time, but again, these do not seriously hurt the overall impact of the film. The final showdown is especially captivitating. Caton-Jones’ choice to keep it completely free of music and dialogue was true directing genius. Overall, a really spectacular film.

I dream in widescreen.