Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
I don't think anyone outside the set [of Mulholland Dr.] understood what this movie was supposed to be about. As I said when I watched it, it's probably "weird for the sake of being weird"
In interviews included on the Region 2 DVD of the film, the main stars all give their interpretations of what they think the film is about. Even Lynch himself would never say "it means this", or discard what you thought it meant, even if he disagreed with it.

Lynch isn't for everyone, and I know that you know that, but I can't quite fathom "weird for the sake of being weird" as a criticism. Isn't The Godfather "serious for the sake of being serious"? Isn't X-Men "action-packed for the sake of being action-packed"? Isn't Dumb and Dumber "funny for the sake of being funny"? If anything, "weird for the sake of being weird" is a good thing, no? It certainly makes a film original. And let's face it, how many films can you compare Mulholland Dr. to? In fact, I've read many times the adjective "Lynchian" being used to describe somebody else's work, but I've never read a review of Lynch's films with overt reference to others.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?