Johnny Got His Gun - (Dalton Trumbo;1971;USA)
In WW1 after a shell burst leaves a soldier armless, legless, faceless, and without sight, hearing, or smell he is mentally trapped in memories, fantasies, and nightmares.
One of the most neglected war films I've seen and it's a shame because this may be one of the best. It's not about the war at all as it is about the character, in ultimate isolation. Some of the memories show a very humane portrait of life while the film turns around with fantasies and nightmares that have some subtle black humor, but more often become disturbing and depressing. Consider one where he discussing his current state with Jesus Christ, played by Donald Sutherland or one where he imagines himself in a freak show run by his father. I also liked the film didn't go beyond his immediate area, only showing nurses, doctors, and military officers. A haunting film.

Inside me I'm screaming and yelling and howling like a trapped animal, and nobody pays any attention. If I had arms, I could kill myself. If I had legs, I could run away. If I had a voice, I could talk and be some kind of company for myself. I could yell for help, but nobody would help me.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006