The New World - (Terrence Malick;2005;USA)
In the early 17th century, John Smith and Pocahontas begin a relationship that is tested by the rivalry between settlers and natives.
I'm glad this surprised me. I was expecting something along the lines of a normal narrative with other great qualities but Malick's direction makes this film feel painfully poetic. Few films remind you how painful something can be when it becomes impossible to have. Farrell, Kilcher, and Bale are all great in their subtle ways. They bleed emotions that fall behind the curtain every now and then rather then in-your-face melodrama. In the wrong hands this could've felt like Titanic, but Malick and the actors make this romance beautiful and few films really kill you emotionally like this. The cinematography is amazing. Malick's choice to use natural light for most of the film really shows a beauty that feels real.

In some parts I really felt the quote from The Sopranos Tony said about how real life has it's way of picking away at his positive beliefs towards life.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006