Originally Posted by Neo
Originally Posted by jace
They were not made men, There have been 2 books written on the lynchings. I have read both. The murdered policeman was misquoted as having said "Dagos did it." There was a trail, and they were acquitted. They were still held ,and a lynch mob that was unposed went into the jail and attacked the men. A few may have had mob ties, but most were just immigrants caught in the roundup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_14,_1891,_lynchings

I guess my memory and imagination played tricks on me. I could have sworn how I told the story is exactly how I remember it, even with the Sicilian bosses and everything.

Your memory is great Neo, it's the story that has different versions. I see a third book about what happened was published, since this discussion I now want to read it. An unusual side note is that the professor who wrote one of the books has the last name Gambino. One of my college professors told me of meeting the author many years ago. Before they were introduced, he was going to ask him if he had any relationship to Carlo Gambino. He asked the person who was about to introduce them about it, and got a stern look. After the intro, he was told that the man HATED it when he was asked that question. There was no relationship, he was just tired of being asked it, and took it as an insult.