Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:

Actually, THE DEER HUNTER is a really good film, but a great movie? No way. Good work from DeNiro, Walken, Cazael, Streep, and others, but does it equate to the execution brilliance of APOCALYPSE NOW or whatever, but ya I can still see why people love it...I'm just not one of the groupies.
Why should a movie be compared to others to evaluate it? I mean, Apocalypse now is a masterpiece IMO and one of my favs ever, but that doesn't mean I necessarily have to keep it in my mind as a holy standard to judge other war movies. I like to evaluate a movie per se. Comparing movies is a natural thing of course, but IMO it should not be the prevalent criterion. It's not fair, I mean.
Now, as for the groupies thing, you darn aristocrat..... :p Ok, you said you see why people love it, so why don't you tell us?

You gave it four stars anyway. Great movie!

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)