Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
TOYS (1992) - *1/2

Barry Levinson has got to be one of the most uneven directors in Hollywood. For every RAIN MAN and WAG THE DOG, he gives us SPHERE, ENVY, and this failure.

Reportedly a long-time dream project for Levinson, taking over a decade to be developed, and over 10 months(!) of shooting...and the end result is a film that while it has admirable art direction that attempts to tell its own mood of story, let's just say that Levinson is no Sir Ridley Scott!

At times it feels like Levinson simply let Robin Williams improvise his scripted part, which in this case perhaps is a fatal flaw.

Then again, this is one of the few films where obviously much effort was placed in it, but I still have to ask Levinson if I ever corner him in some random diner in Los Angeles....what was the point of this movie? What is the message, that good peaceful toys are superior to war toys or whatever the hell?

What is annoying as well is how that Levinson directed this stinker after BUGSY, a picture that I did enjoy.
Although it's been awhile since I saw this film, I know exactly where you're coming from on your review.

As for the last movie I just watched, well it was the first Godfather film. I'm pretty sure I don't need to review that particular movie.