Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
The Beat that My Heart Skipped(2005)
I rented this after Film Comment gave it a pretty good review, but I didnt find it to be all that great. There were too many small tangents and nothing got developed. It did get very good SPOILER WARNING after Tom's father died END SPOILER WARNING but unfortunately that was only about 10 minutes.Up until that point, the film just seems to skirt around what its actually trying to say.
Average
Glad you saw it. What do you think it was trying to say? Don't you think Romain Duris' performance was excellent? Best of last year, for me. I didn't like the "two years later" coda.

---

Krótki film o milosci (A Short Film About Love)
Krzysztof Kíeslowski
1988 Poland (3rd time)
A young man spies on an older woman in the opposite block of flats, and becomes infatuated with her.
Beguiling study of loneliness more than anything, and the obsession which individuals place on the idea of being wanted. The love of the title is shown as an ultimately destructive force, but there is a clear, defined relationship throughout: that between director and his medium, with Kíeslowski playing mesmerising games with perspective and gaze.

House of Games
David Mamet
1987 US (1st time)
A writer and psychiatrist becomes obsessed with a confidence trickster, and becomes involved in a series of elaborate cons.
Obvious questions arise throughout: who's playing whom and all that. It's a highly unsettling film in which you never really feel comfortable in any of the scenes; Mamet concentrates on storytelling, the kind which, thanks to the subject matter, allows him to get away with Chinese box affairs and slight cop-outs. The acting is either atrociously robotic or effectively artificial, depending on taste.

Small Time Crooks
Woody Allen
2000 US (1st time)
A bumbling thief hitches a plan to rob a bank by setting up a cookie store and tunelling through; the plan fails, but the cookies take off.
Amid all the broad humour, which regrettably spells things out to us more often than necessary, there is are subtle jabs at the idea of hgih culture and art appreciation; moralistic and convincing.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?