Yesterday I finally managed to watch "The Merchant of Venice". Definitely not the most entertaining in movies' history but Al's performance was great, even though I'm starting to worry about his growing tendency to roll his eyes like hell. Anyway my fav Shakespearean screen adaptation was and still is Zeffirelli's "Romeo and Juliet".

Unfortunately I also watched "Starsky and Hutch". I hated it. It was like some barbarians entered Saint Peter's Basilica. The original S and H are something sacred for me. Sacrilege. It was an act of sacrilege!

Saturday, after a long while, I rewatched "The Diary of Anne Frank". Even though it was poignant and well acted, it seemed to me to be a little too watered down, especially when compared to other movie dealing with the Holocaust, e.g. Schindler's list or The Pianist, being the first ones that come to mind. No contest.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)