MANHUNTER - **1/2

Michael Mann's serial killer thriller from 1986 starts off great, but then once the 2nd half happens, it ends up becoming quite flat and nothing special. Sad since I dug the opening half, where for a good long time, we never meet the perp. In most such movies, we would see him step by step(ironically, like the inferior remake RED DRAGON), but instead we let William Petersen paint the profile and suggested history...and its really our imagination that can make it more disturbing than weird tattoos or a house full of trophies from the remains of his victims, whatever.

In fact, when we finally meet the "Tooth Fairy" in a scene that isn't scored and everything is understated...damn talk about creepy.

However, the movie goes from being interesting to being bland once we explore the killer more, that sense of awe and fear to this psychopath that is out there, somewhere now.

Not to mention that I HATED the 80's music junk. I could stand THIEF and THE KEEP, but not this garbage. Yuck!

P.S. - Interesting and different work from Brian Cox as Dr. Hannibal "Lecktor", years before Anthony Hopkins became "THE" Dr. Lector. Still, I liked the film's idea of Cox's Lecktor being under-stated in his menace, and actually trying and nearly destroying the one person that happened to catch him.